Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Climate Prediction - I'm back!!!

Climate Prediction - I'm back!!!
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 09:11 PM

Well, Predictor@home is taking its time coming back up. I am too busy with work and study going forward, to have time to spend alpha/beta testing on new projects, so decided I needed something nice and steady to crunch on that wouldn't require a lot of attention. It really came down to either Folding@Home or Climate Prediction. I did a little folding, but then settled on Climate Prediction. Should be able to generate somewhere around 1000-1200 a day. Just a little bit more help and we could start climbing again.

[begin soapbox]
Team MacNN is #7 and holding on Climate Prediction. This really is more then just learning to predict weather, it is about understanding the world where we live, and the range of impacts we are having on it. We can reach into space, or develop the most sophisticated scientific and medical technologies, but it is all for naught if we don't have a world to live on. Humankind's greatest failing has always been its inability to live in balance with nature. If we learn to live in balance, we can not only advance the arts and sciences, but also prevent much disease before it occurrs. Maybe we can even some day learn to live in balance with each other.

Climate prediction isn't the answer, but it is one of many steps in the right direction towards better understanding of the fundamentel impacts we have on our world/home. From there, it is up to all of us, which road we take.
[/end soapbox]

jbcool
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 04:43 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
Should be able to generate somewhere around 1000-1200 a day. Just a little bit more help and we could start climbing again.

[begin soapbox]
Humankind's greatest failing has always been its inability to live in balance with nature. If we learn to live in balance, we can not only advance the arts and sciences, but also prevent much disease before it occurrs. Maybe we can even some day learn to live in balance with each other.

From there, it is up to all of us, which road we take.
[/end soapbox]
Are you talking about me when you say a little help???
I will give the team a little help when I see them slipping to #8 but I want to make a splash when I jump in.

Ah the dream? Be nice to live in balance with nature and each other but I just don't see it happening in my life time. Never understood why we don't?

Hey Shaktai! Did you cut down a tree to stand on that soapbox?? Or did you use one of those trees that the wind blew over last winter.
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by jbcool:
Hey Shaktai! Did you cut down a tree to stand on that soapbox?? Or did you use one of those trees that the wind blew over last winter.
Naw, I just recycled a soapbox from the elections. Darn thing was so old and rotten though, that it collapsed under me and all I had to stand on was the splinters.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by jbcool:
Are you talking about me when you say a little help???
I will give the team a little help when I see them slipping to #8 but I want to make a splash when I jump in.

Ah the dream? Be nice to live in balance with nature and each other but I just don't see it happening in my life time. Never understood why we don't?

I believe that for climate prediction only WU crunched while you are a member of the team belongs to the team. You can't crunch on your own, then join and make a big spike.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

jbcool
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
I believe that for climate prediction only WU crunched while you are a member of the team belongs to the team. You can't crunch on your own, then join and make a big spike.
Bummer!!!! More wasted processing power.

UB right Scott, just joined the team no spike. Guess I need to put together a couple junker boxes to make up for the lost week.
( Last edited by jbcool; Dec 13, 2004 at 07:26 PM. )
Tag ur it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules