Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Audio buffs, quick question regarding DAAD converters

Audio buffs, quick question regarding DAAD converters
OreoCookie
Dec 8, 2009, 05:38 PM

My loving family wants to replace my MD deck that has doubled as DA converter these days with a dedicated DAAD converter. Basically the DA converter of the Airport Express sucks, so I use my MD deck as a poor man's DA converter to my NAD 320 amp.

Hence, I'd like to be able to use it in standalone mode and with my computer (to by a Djay). So my brother found two different models, the Terratec Phase X 24 FW and the Terratec Phase X 26 USB SE.

To me the former looks more professional (it has a much higher MSRP) and a FireWire interface (which means it's aimed at the `professional' market, right?). The latter is USB (which is an advantage, who knows how much longer FireWire is around?), but since its MSRP is lower, I assume the quality of the DA converter is lower as well, correct? And if I go with the X 24, will a normal 6.3 mm-cinch adapter do the job? Or is there a problem converting voltages?

Or do you have any other recommendations?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 8, 2009, 05:51 PM

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 8, 2009, 05:55 PM

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2009, 06:02 PM

Oreo, that looks like it might be a sound-card, rather than D/A (i.e. not useable in standalone mode). And the outputs are balanced, which may be a problem to hook into your system.

So...
"Proel" Proel D/A Converter at Studiospares
Or have a squizz around that site - they've usually got something.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OreoCookie  (op)
Dec 8, 2009, 06:04 PM

Looks very sleek, but costs 4 times as much as the other two
I can get either of the other two for ~€100, although I'm willing to up the budget by another €100.

OreoCookie  (op)
Dec 8, 2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Oreo, that looks like it might be a sound-card, rather than D/A (i.e. not useable in standalone mode). And the outputs are balanced, which may be a problem to hook into your system.
At least the X 24 works in standalone mode if the manual is to be believed. And what do you mean by `balanced outputs?'

The little box you've suggested looks very neat. Is the audio quality reasonable?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
At least the X 24 works in standalone mode if the manual is to be believed. And what do you mean by `balanced outputs?'
Two types of studio interconnect: Balanced (three core) and unbalanced (your standard two core hi-fi type). Both have different gains and different wring, so conversion between the two without spending moola is difficult.

The little box you've suggested looks very neat. Is the audio quality reasonable?
Never heard one. Brand name rings a bell as being OK.
The stuff that site carries is usually OK... ...it's basically a "toolkit" site for studios, so everything tends to do the job it's supposed to do with a reasonable quality (not spectacular - just functionally reasonable). I buy off 'em all the time.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2009, 06:24 PM

What does the Airport Express output digital as? TOSlink? The Apple web site is being as useful as ever.

OreoCookie  (op)
Dec 8, 2009, 06:26 PM

Two types of studio interconnect: Balanced (three core) and unbalanced (your standard two core hi-fi type). Both have different gains and different wring, so conversion between the two without spending moola is difficult.
You mean the two XLR inputs are the balanced ones while the 6.3 mm ones on the back are unbalanced? Would it be possible to use the ones on the back?
Never heard one. Brand name rings a bell as being OK.
The stuff that site carries is usually OK... ...it's basically a "toolkit" site for studios, so everything tends to do the job it's supposed to do with a reasonable quality (not spectacular - just functionally reasonable). I buy off 'em all the time.
Looks perfect for the job (very manly). I'll peruse the web to see if I can get order one in Germany. Thanks for the link … 

OreoCookie  (op)
Dec 8, 2009, 06:28 PM

What does the Airport Express output digital as? TOSlink? The Apple web site is being as useful as ever.
It's optical TOSlink/SPDIF.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2009, 06:34 PM

You mean the two XLR inputs are the balanced ones while the 6.3 mm ones on the back are unbalanced? Would it be possible to use the ones on the back? 
XLR are balanced, but jacks can also be. If you have a look at the manual it says "balanced outputs". Balanced outs = T/R/S 6.3mm (like a stereo one), unbalanced = T/S 6.3mm (like a normal mono).

Looks perfect for the job (very manly). I'll peruse the web to see if I can get order one in Germany. Thanks for the link …
Thomann might do 'em (I didn't look). They do everything else!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2009, 06:37 PM

It's optical TOSlink/SPDIF.
Looks like just the box for the job then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules