Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 29)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2023, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
In iOS in a text input box, if I tap in the body of text, why does it only ever align the cursor with the beginning of the next word, not the end of the previous word? It's usually because autocorrect changed a correctly spelled word to something wrong, so I'm going back to try to see my autocorrect options again, but it will never ever line the cursor up with the word I want to change.
This “feature” I think unconsciously trained me to slide the cursor where I want it rather than tap.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2023, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Monterey update bricked another system.

Edit: Disk First Aid thankfully squared it this time around.
And another one, though DFA worked here too.

This is getting out of hand.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2023, 06:21 PM

Another one. Got one left, it’ll presumably do it too. Thanks for making me waste a day again, Apple.

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2023, 10:26 PM

Minor Irritant Thread, Hospital Edition:

I have an “issue” that required a number of labs and a CT scan, which was entered as “stat” (i.e. “do this now”). The “minor irritant” is that a particular lab needed to ensure the contrast used in the CT scan wouldn’t hurt me did not also carry that “stat” label. So, even though the CT was ordered for “do it now,” the labs needed to make sure it was safe did not inherit the same urgency.

This boils down to “why the F not?” I gotta ask someone about this. Delaying a stat imaging study with a routine (non-rush) lab just ain’t right. Right?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2023, 03:45 PM

Coffee maker broke, and I got a box from the local, snooty roaster.

I make it better than they do.

reader50
Administrator
May 6, 2023, 06:00 PM

Coffee maker broke ...
Why do I keep thinking it had lots of help?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2023, 06:12 PM

Like in The Expanse?

It’s possible I helped by not cleaning it enough, but it didn’t come to a violent end. It started brewing more and more slowly until the day before yesterday where it just up and stopped.

reader50
Administrator
May 6, 2023, 06:31 PM

Actually, the Expanse scene was exactly what I was thinking of. That, or bullet holes. "You have let me down for the LAST Time."

OreoCookie
May 13, 2023, 08:06 PM

I have one: Youtube's ads and ad recommendation algorithm drive me nuts in equal measure. Here is a short selection of ads I'm getting:
  • Ads for online dating platforms aimed at people in their 20s.
  • Ads for online platforms for side jobs for people in their 20s.
  • Ads for online platforms for side jobs for people in their 60s and 70s.
  • Ads for lots of garbage games.
  • Indonesian ads, ads for Turkish car insurances (WTF?!?), ads from a selection of other countries. I've also had a few ads in Spanish, although I didn't watch long enough to figure out what market they were for.
For reference, I am a married guy in his 40s with two children located in Japan. Some of my interests include, well, computers, photography, cycling and the like. The hit rate has become so tiny, I am really surprised that all the ML garbage Google et al. are throwing at the problem yields such mediocre outcomes. Oh, and this is exacerbated by the fact that ads interrupt videos all the effing time. If I don't hit skip fast enough, I have to endure another ad.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reader50
Administrator
May 13, 2023, 11:47 PM

I've gotten ads for female hygiene, and for male ... er, improvements. The YT AI has trouble figuring out my viewing habits.

Suggest letting shorter ads play. The more ads you skip, the sooner they come back. I usually let anything under a minute play through. The longer they are, the more likely I'll skip.

OreoCookie
May 14, 2023, 07:29 PM

I'll give that a try, @reader. I'm just really surprised how badly chosen the ads are despite all the CPU, GPU and TPU cycles that are burnt on this.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
May 19, 2023, 11:19 AM

More than a minor irritant...I am increasingly hitting websites on my old iPad Air and getting redirected to a “Your browser is no longer supported” page. I mean, yeah, the iPad is old and can only run iOS 12, but still. Interestingly, all the “no longer supported” pages look exactly the same. White, with large black text and links to Chrome, Edge, Safari, and Firefox. It’s somewhat “designed”, too, and not just generic text.

Oddly, the Safari link goes to Softonic.com, not the AppStore. The other three links go to their respective makers.

I just think it’s odd that various unaffiliated websites are giving me the same particular redirect. Makes me wonder if they aren’t all built on the same underlying framework or whatever shit-du-jour the cool kids are building sites with these days. I tried viewing the page code, but the viewer just beachballs and never shows code, which is also kinds odd.

Anyway...Sux to be me, I guess. I just wanted to check out a local brewpub.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2023, 05:02 PM

Decided to go to a new tire place because the people at the other one are morons. Also excited they store tires.

I get home and realize they left the spare in the back… my all season spare. They didn’t realize the reason it was there was to be put on, and when I brought it in me asking “do you want me to show you how to drop the spare” apparently didn’t register.

reader50
Administrator
May 23, 2023, 02:24 PM

Sweedish ads have stopped lately. Now I'm getting ads for my local RAM dealer in Montana. Along with other local companies, like fencing. The fences that go around your yard, not the sword-fighting type.

My VPN server is in Miami, not Sweeden or Montana. My VPN company doesn't even have a server in Montana.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2023, 10:34 PM

Decided to go to a new tire place because the people at the other one are morons. Also excited they store tires.

I get home and realize they left the spare in the back… my all season spare. They didn’t realize the reason it was there was to be put on, and when I brought it in me asking “do you want me to show you how to drop the spare” apparently didn’t register.
You have full-size spares I take it?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2023, 12:51 AM

Yessir!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2023, 01:09 AM

They swapped out the spare, were willing to store it, and since I had to bring it back anyway, decided to have them do an alignment check and fix a rattle coming from one of my brakes. Handling improvement from the all-seasons and the realignment is nice. Except for having to bring it in twice, it’s become minor pleasures all around.

TPMs work on these tires. too. Took about a day to sync, so I thought the main sensor might be toast.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2023, 02:41 PM

Robocop showed up in my Walgreens parking lot.

reader50
Administrator
May 27, 2023, 03:04 PM

We've had one of those in the Lowes parking lot for a few years. In the early days, it even talked. Just PSAs, nothing specific to anyone around it. "Welcome to Lowes", etc. Wish I could have hacked it. Make it advertise rewards for reporting people to Security Service. Earn a double bonus for reporting a family member.

Lately it's been quiet. Guess the talking didn't go over well with customers.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2023, 04:18 PM

The megaphone is on the right peeking out from behind the camera turret. The blue things at the top are on constant flash. There’s another set down by the batteries.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2023, 10:04 AM

Why isn't that thing Diesel-powered like a proper American trailer?

fuckin' Commies

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 31, 2023, 11:02 AM

chase.com

When you load the page, the login section has a several second delay after which it fades in. This ensures that you have time to absorb the ads they have in place before you can log in.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 31, 2023, 11:18 AM

bumper.com

I just want to make sure the car I want to buy isn't stolen. After entering the VIN, there's a fake progress bar that spends well over a minute chugging its way across the screen while it essentially advertises for the premium features it's about to try and sell me.

Obviously it captures your email address first and then after waiting all of this time it reveals that the info you want is behind a paid subscription. But at this point I 100% expect that level of shenanigans so I'm not even mad. I'm just grumpy about the fake progress bar wasting my time.

Thorzdad
Jun 22, 2023, 10:16 PM

Why does every iOS update turn on bluetooth, when I always keep it off? Updates always keep all my other settings except bluetooth.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2023, 04:41 PM

I keep getting alerts that I've left my Airpods behind at work. I left them there, but I meant to. They're configured to not alert me if I've left them at home. So I add work as a second place that I can leave them. A couple days later I'll get an alert that I've left my Airpods behind at work. The configuration shows a single location I'm allowed to leave them, home. So I add work as a second place that I can leave them. A couple days later I'll get an alert...

Finally today I just turned off "Notify When Left Behind." When I clicked that radio button, the "Here's what's new in..." window popped up like the first time you open Podcasts or Music after an iOS update. Unsure if that's what was holding out the second location from sticking, I turned back on "Notify When Left Behind" and added work as a second place that I can leave them...

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2023, 09:46 PM

Lol. Meanwhile my wired headphones have been sitting at the office for 3 years, alone...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2023, 08:31 AM

I held out for a long time but finally splurged last year on the Airpods. The big benefit is seamlessly switching between my phone for music and my work Windows laptop for Teams calls. Before I had Lightning headphones on the phone and no headset at all for the computer, so I'd have to log on on the computer and then call in on my phone for the audio. Checked today, still says 2 places...we'll see if this one sticks.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2023, 08:36 AM

Yeah, my AirPod Pros have not been as seamless as I’d like. May be something to do with having multiple iDevices on my Apple ID? Sometimes they randomly drop, or I put them in and my phone won’t recognize them. This weekend I was listening to a podcast while doing yardwork and my kids started a show on the iPad and it randomly started playing through my AirPods. And I get the location notifications that seem to be behind where I actually am now. Feels a bit un-Apple.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Thorzdad
Jun 27, 2023, 08:25 PM

Today was the first time I believe we caught some of the fallout from the Canadian fires. All day was hazy and the air had a faint scent of smoke.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2023, 10:00 PM

Same here.

It was cloudy, so we didn’t even get any of the fun, apocalyptic looking sky.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2023, 08:02 AM

The air is still unhealthy here. I did some work outside yesterday, wearing an N95 mask, and will do so again today. When I went out to run an errand, I wore the mask but pulled it down when I went inside, the opposite of my pandemic habit.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2023, 10:36 AM

Pic from Reddit.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2023, 12:52 PM

Minor positive if you smoke. Right now, you can smoke in any outdoor location, and no one will notice or complain.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2023, 05:38 PM

Life finds a way.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2023, 01:13 PM

As for the current wave of Canadian smoke, it’s almost as impolite as Canada Geese. Do not cross one of these evil cobra chickens. Ever seen an angry swan? They’re big, and they can be mean. But swans don’t cross Canada Geese.

Seriously, this stuff is way worse than the typical annual “Mexican farmers are burning their fields to get ready for planting,” which tends to bring noticeable smoke as far north as Dallas at times. But it’s short term, fairly predictable, and not nearly as intense as the wildfire smoke. And as “minimal” as the Mexican smoke is, thousands of Texans wind up with respiratory illnesses because of it.

If I were in the path of that stuff (which my sister who lives in Southeast Michigan is), I’d be wearing an actual respirator, the kind that looks like a gas mask. I have one, and I am not shy about using it.

I see a huge difference between smokers who understand that their habit is not something other people want to share in incidentally, and those who smoke wherever and whenever, like “are you gonna stop me?”

When I was stationed in Panama, everybody in the shop would take a “smoke break” mid-morning. I never smoked, but the social paradigm of a mid-morning break where you get out of the office/shop and clear your thoughts worked so well for me that I just made sure I was upwind. And my coworkers who smoked were very helpful in that.

In (an extreme) comparison, the largest Renaissance faire in the country, the Texas Renaissance Festival features over 55 acres of shows, shops, food (food, food, food) and drink (drink, drink, drink, drink!). It also features people from Houston who show up just past noon and decide that “this is outdoors, %&$* anybody who doesn’t want to share my extra harsh, extra manly cigarettes.” Like right in your face. Like (apparently) intentionally upwind of you, so you are in a cloud of their crappy tobacco smoke. “You can go somewhere else,” they say, but yeah, “so can you, jerk.”

You want to smoke? Go for it. If you’re a friend, I may make comments about improving your health (and decreasing how much you spend each month), but I won’t be pushy. But if you smoke and someone asks politely “could you move the the other side of X so your smoke doesn’t blow toward me,” don’t be a jerk about it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2023, 01:35 PM

I’ve had shitty bosses complain about my smoke breaks.

I’ve had good bosses ask me what’s in them because they notice I come back energized, and with a solid plan for what’s happening next.

Smoking is so frowned upon the net effect is there aren’t smoking mentors. No one taught me how to smoke without being obnoxious, I had to figure it out for myself. It was only within the last decade I realized I shouldn’t smoke when I’m walking down the sidewalk if someone is walking behind me.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2023, 02:56 PM

See, now if there was just a REST break where anyone could do ANYTHING (rest, drink, pee, chat, maybe not all at the same time), and it was the same amount of time for everyone, it would be fair and no one should kvetch.

What I've heard gets people annoyed is when smokers are so addicted they got more breaks than other people?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2023, 04:33 PM

I can’t speak for other people, but when I’m off smoking, my brain is generally engaged in work the entire time.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2023, 06:55 PM

hey, I have DREAMS about work, but can't bill for it!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2023, 07:41 PM

I do too.

In the most vivid one, I was employed by Satan, or at least a close friend.

He pays well.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2023, 05:15 PM

Slow leak on one of my tires. Last drove it Wednesday, completely flat today.

At least it looks like it’ll hold air long enough to get the three-quarter mile to the tire shop.

Thorzdad
Jul 9, 2023, 01:10 PM

Apparently, fucking Imgur has changed something on the site which now renders Safari on my old iPad unable to view any images. I mean, it’s Imgur! The site’s only purpose is to display images. WTF new-tech-all-the-cool-kids-are-using is it that needed to be implemented that also makes the site unusable now?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 9, 2023, 03:39 PM

Expired security certs in the old iPad? See if a plain http image still loads.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2023, 06:00 PM

People with handicap plates or hang tags who just can’t seem to park anywhere near the definition “parking.” At an angle and blocking the next space, or straight in but well over the line on one side or the other, any number of other really, really BAD parking behaviors…essentially giving everybody a figurative finger.

I have a hang tag since having orthopedic surgery in May, and I’ve really needed to be able to park in a space wide enough to open my doors all the way, and oh by the way kinda close to wherever I’m going. And I’ve found that the backup camera is great for telling the driver whether or not they’re lined up and centered in the parking space, so I adjust and correct as needed. So I know it’s not the hang tag that makes people park crappy.

This makes it seem like those drivers don’t give a flip about how they park because they’re “special.” Yes, I agree, but not the way they think.

And hang tags…you’re supposed to take it off the mirror before you start the car moving. It says so ON the tag. But I see dozens of folks driving around with their tags fully displayed. So clearly some people with hang tags can’t be bothered by instructions AND can’t be bothered with the common courtesy to NOT park like a rectal orifice.

Yeah, I get over it, but it’s like they’re going out of their way to park/drive badly. Sheesh.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2023, 08:40 AM

Speaking of driving badly, I've been seeing more cars on the expressway drifting out of the lane, usually on the passenger side. This is not just on curves, but straight stretches as well. I wonder if it has to do with an increasing number of drivers trying to use a cell phone while driving, and not to talk, but to text or e-mail. (Hmm, text and e-mail are now verbs as well as nouns.)
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2023, 09:32 AM

Here's a parking job I saw last week. I get that a truck and trailer take up a lot of space, but that just means you park far away where no one else is. That's what I do when I'm towing - I park way out of the way, I walk just a bit further, but then I'm not a hindrance to everyone else in the world. Not everyone shares this philosophy.

Thorzdad
Jul 10, 2023, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Speaking of driving badly, I've been seeing more cars on the expressway drifting out of the lane, usually on the passenger side. This is not just on curves, but straight stretches as well. I wonder if it has to do with an increasing number of drivers trying to use a cell phone while driving, and not to talk, but to text or e-mail.
I doubt the cell phone is the issue. People have been driving and using phones for ages. Are these all newer cars? Like, maybe cars with hand-free driving assists? I could see them wandering a bit before self-correcting.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2023, 11:27 AM

The drifting thing is all about a lack of attention to the task. If you're piloting a 2,000-pound Death Machine, that piloting task should be your primary focus. There are apparently a lot of folks who do not agree with this. Or can't be bothered.

But it goes beyond "I have to face my passenger to speak to him/her/it". Driving seems to be too trivial to many people, not important enough for them to bother paying attention to avoiding vehicular manslaughter.

Laminar, I haven't seen as grievous a display of awful trailer parking as in your picture, but I've seen some doozies. And yet, somehow all the firefighters who go to the fast food joint in their fire truck can manage to park the truck way out of the way, so it doesn't get in other people's way.

I think the crappy parking thing goes along with the thing where people will circle the parking lot at the gym for 15 minutes, looking for the closest spot. Ummm...unclear on the concept much?

Thorzdad
Jul 10, 2023, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Expired security certs in the old iPad? See if a plain http image still loads.
No http available anymore. Defaults back to https

reader50
Administrator
Jul 10, 2023, 12:24 PM

Old certs are a problem for running old OS versions. I know in Snow Leopard, it's possible to manually load newer certs. Not sure if you can hack enough access to do that on an old iPad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules