Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad pro MacNN opinion column

iPad pro MacNN opinion column
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2015, 01:07 PM

It seems to me that the tone of today's opinion column titled "Opinion: Things about the iPad Pro that are evading people. The iPad Pro is the future of mobile computing -- get used to it" is unfortunate and really not constructive on a website that has always had free and relatively friendly debate as one of its cornerstones.The author is clearly saying in the headline and in a lot of the column that if one doesn't completely agree that the iPad Pro is the future of computing they should immediately change their thoughts to exactly agree with the writer. This opinionated attitude is reiterated over and over, e.g.: "Have people learnt nothing from Apple's recent history?" or "The iPad Pro is certainly the future of mobile computing and it's here right now, but some people critics either have very short memories, or are very shortsighted." These comments are, I assume, intentionally inflammatory, and therefore are really just an editorial version of trolling.

I think the iPad Pro is a great device and, as the author suggests, perfect for many buyers (I am currently considering buying a fully loaded one to replace my iPad Air). But that doesn't mean it is, therefore, the "future of mobile computing." The future of mobile computing is going to be influenced, for example, partially by things that Microsoft does over the next year as well as by Apple's vision. True innovation will come from many places and Apple will help set the pace but also be reactive. Toward this end, free and friendly debate, both supportive and critical of Apple's currently choices, is very important in helping keep Apple's products as great in the future as possible.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 25, 2015, 01:18 PM

We're not blocking debate, in any way. The criticism really isn't intended for our readership, so much as it is the mainstream press.

And if anybody thinks that we believe that Apple can do no wrong? You probably should read more from us.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2015, 01:47 PM

I realize that you are not in any way "blocking" debate but still, when a staff member of MacNN writes sentences which clearly are saying that any opinion other than his are somehow "ignorant," then those comments must be aimed at those inside the MacNN the community as well as those outside it.

Since I read MacNN many times a day, and have done so for over 15 years, I couldn't possibly read more from MacNN.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 25, 2015, 03:32 PM

Wasn't referring to you directly. Of all the surviving Mac-centric news sites, we swig the Kool-aid the least, I think. I like it that way. The statement by Sanjiv wasn't intended to inflame or offend.

The thing is this: whether we like it or not, the future of computing is getting thinner, and very, very soon, it will all resemble the Surface Pro and iPad Pro. I love big, powerful computing beasts, I love tinkering and putting in more drives in a computer than thermodynamics and commons sense says, but that's not the way the industry is trending, and I think we all know it. The WSJ and others can't see that now, but they will.

Join the thread on the article itself! Add your opinion. I'll email Sanjiv and have him chime in here.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2015, 08:25 PM

Thanks, Mike, for the thoughts. You say "whether we like it or not, the future of computing is getting thinner" but actually, I really love this trend. When I got my first Mac in 1986 (an SE) the first thing I did was get a carry case and bring it back and forth to my office every day. That was my "thin and light" computer. We are just now entering what would have seemed like computer heaven to me back then. Like you, I've "tinkered" with dozens of Macs through the years, out of necessity, it was kind of fun, but the current iPad Pro type computers are, to me, just about as good as it gets! But this is precisely why I started this thread. MacNN has had a few articles over the last couple of years that have said that the "Mac faithful" should "get over it," "get used to it" etc. implying that "we" are against these trends. Nothing could be further from the truth. Like Sanjiv, I think the iPad Pro could easily be my only computing device with only a few tweaks. But some of those tweaks might sound "old school," like allowing an iOS system-wide pointer on screen when connecting to an external monitor. Just because it's "old school" doesn't mean that it wouldn't give a large improvement to the iPad Pro as a productivity device, or that it is inhibiting the current trend in computers. As you suggest, Mike, I will post these comments elsewhere.
( Last edited by WizOSX; Nov 26, 2015 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Wrong choice of word.)

OreoCookie
Nov 26, 2015, 05:58 AM

@WizOSX
I've intentionally read the piece before reading your post, and I'm not getting the vibe you have. It's clearly an opinion piece (Opinion is the first word in the title), and while you don't seem to agree with the major points the author makes (which is fair enough) — I don't think you can fault an opinion piece for being too opinionated. Personally, it's quite the opposite, I prefer if the author clearly enunciates his or her view and does not hedge bets or takes a middle road. I could clearly “hear” the voice of the author and his enthusiasm for the iPad Pro, so from that perspective, it was a well-written piece (although I noticed more typos and grammatical issues than usual).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2015, 09:22 AM

Of course you can, and should, fault an opinion piece for being opinionated. Check the meaning of the word "opinionated."

Sanjiv Sathiah
Nov 26, 2015, 10:06 AM

@WizOSX

The article was not suggesting that you're a dunce if you don't agree with me. As Mike says, the criticism is directed at the mainstream press - many were quick to write off the iPhone, many were quick to write off the iPad - yet both went on to be hit products, and also completely redefined what expect of those types of devices and form factors - the type of apps, the way these devices have been used have amazed even Apple. Yet despite this, many are quick to jump on perceived shortcomings of the iPad Pro. This article is trying to remind those same pundits who dissed the iPhone and the iPad that the iPad Pro is set to redefine once again, what can be achieved on a device like this.

I'm surprised you took it the way that you did, but then that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Here's a comment from another reader who saw the article via Mac Daily News, which picked on the story:

"This is a very well-thought-out opinion piece. Someone who’s actually given this some thought which I wish more writers would do."
Electronista Staff

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2015, 10:53 PM

Sanjiv--

I thought your article today "Opinion: Should Apple release a desktop computer that runs iOS?" was excellent. Thanks.

Sanjiv Sathiah
Nov 28, 2015, 01:11 AM

I'm not asking you to like the article. If you didn't like it, so be it. I learnt a long time ago that in life, you can't please everyone. I also know, that meaning and intent can sometimes get lost in translation. There are plenty of other articles on this site that you might find more to your taste.`
Electronista Staff

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2015, 02:34 AM

But I said I did like it!?

Sanjiv Sathiah
Dec 6, 2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
@WizOSX
I've intentionally read the piece before reading your post, and I'm not getting the vibe you have. It's clearly an opinion piece (Opinion is the first word in the title), and while you don't seem to agree with the major points the author makes (which is fair enough) — I don't think you can fault an opinion piece for being too opinionated. Personally, it's quite the opposite, I prefer if the author clearly enunciates his or her view and does not hedge bets or takes a middle road. I could clearly “hear” the voice of the author and his enthusiasm for the iPad Pro, so from that perspective, it was a well-written piece (although I noticed more typos and grammatical issues than usual).
Please, by all means, point out all these typos and grammatical issues that you refer to in the article. We did have it proofread by an editor.
Electronista Staff

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
Of course you can, and should, fault an opinion piece for being opinionated. Check the meaning of the word "opinionated."
That makes no sense whatsoever.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2015, 02:54 PM

Well, my opinion is that the iPad Pro is a nice device with nice tech (the Pencil's operation is sweet) but it is too big and heavy for my personal tablet usage, just like the original iPad (I owned one) was.

One pound is sort of a magic break point for tablet weight to me; the iPad Air weight is way more tablet-functional than its predecessors. For laptops 7 pounds is about max and for tablets one pound. Phones cannot get too light.

Just my 02.

-Allen

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2015, 08:25 AM

For me, the regular iPad size is quickly becoming the no-mans land.

The Pro is perfect for at home, on my lap. If I need portable, but bigger than a phone, Mini is the way to go for me. Even at iPad Air weight, using while carrying it at the same time gives me shoulder cramps.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2015, 02:14 PM

So far, my biggest complaint is the TouchID sensor isn't as good as the one on the 6s. Perhaps it needs more training, but the 6s sensor worked flawlessly out of the box.

Forum Links
Forum Rules