Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari and rude behaviour...

Safari and rude behaviour...
chrisford
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 12:53 PM

Hello all -

I'm using Safari on 10.3. It's a wonderful browser.

Apart from one little thing...

If I open a new window (say, Hotmail) in a new tab and then, whilst it's loading, I jump back to another tab (say, Macnn) to read, as soon as the Hotmail tab has finished loading it pops to the front.

This is what my Win machine at work does and it drives me spare.

Anyone know how to stop this rude behaviour?

Thanks!

c

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by chrisford:
Hello all -

I'm using Safari on 10.3. It's a wonderful browser.

Apart from one little thing...

If I open a new window (say, Hotmail) in a new tab and then, whilst it's loading, I jump back to another tab (say, Macnn) to read, as soon as the Hotmail tab has finished loading it pops to the front.

This is what my Win machine at work does and it drives me spare.

Anyone know how to stop this rude behaviour?

Thanks!

c
Netscape 7 on the pc does the same thing, so its not a mac thing but a hotmail thing

Mike

dagaz
Nov 22, 2003, 04:22 PM

Do you have your Safari preferences set to "select new tabs as they are created"? (Safari > Preferences > Tabs). If so, this will explain the behaviour you are talkign about.
Not compatible with Windows

chrisford  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 05:12 PM

Hi Mike and Dagaz -

Thanks for the reply - the option Dagaz mentions isn't selected, so I'm assuming that it's a Hotmail thing.

Bah. Annoying...!

Thanks for your help.

c

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Nov 22, 2003, 10:37 PM

it could be coded in javascript to bring the hotmail window to the front, and safari would just translate that to mean tab to the front.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 12:55 AM

This bugs me a lot too. Often I'll be closing another tab while Hotmail is loading, but it switches to the Hotmail tab right when I hit cmd-w (which has caused me to start using the mouse to close tabs a lot more often). Also, a similar thing happens when I'm opening sites from the Bookmarks menu (I open a new tab, but my other tab is selected right before I click on a site in the menu).

Hotmail and a number of other websites do this. Must be related to Javascript or something.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

bastion
Nov 23, 2003, 05:04 AM

Yes, there is a javascript to focus on the window/tab on load, and it would probably look something like onLoad=window.default.focus() or something.
Cheers,
Nick.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 07:23 AM

I'm not a hotmail user, so I've not experienced this annoyance - I've *never* had this happen from any other web site in Safari, so I agree it's probably a Javascript "feature" on the hotmail page.

One thing to remember: Hotmail is operated by MS...

...and MS cannot IMAGINE that you would EVER want them NOT to jump to the forefront of your attention. It is after all a commandment, "Thou shalt have no other Gates before me, for I am a jealous Gates."
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

dagaz
Nov 23, 2003, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
One thing to remember: Hotmail is operated by MS...
If anyone is interested in checking out a free, stable webmail which also helps promote the environment check out www.care2.com and grab yourself an @wildmail.com email address.
Not compatible with Windows

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 03:40 PM

Not only doe's it pop in the front, but most of the time it's for a penis enlargement offer. So I guess the solution is to stay away from hotmail...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
Not only doe's it pop in the front, but most of the time it's for a penis enlargement offer. So I guess the solution is to stay away from hotmail...
*pats his enlarged penis on the back*

Seriously though, I think it was mentioned in this AppleInsider thread. It is indeed the ad that causes it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules