Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Notetaking Application

Notetaking Application
Merlinus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2007, 11:41 AM

I've been using OneNote 2007 in Windows and like it pretty much, but on my new MBP, I really don't want to use it with Parallels all the time, so I'm looking for a good note-taking program.

I've my eyes on Circus Ponies. Its outlining capabilities really appeal to me, and I like how it does line-by-line audio playback. I'm also interested in anything with the following features however:

1. Automatic OCR of scanned/clipped images with text in it that's searchable. This is really helpful, as I tend receive a lot of documents that are scanned into pdf format or as images.
2. Same as above but for audio. Not as important, since I doubt I'd have a good enough mic or be in an environment where the speech quality would be good enough, but nice to have.
3. Ability to automatically create tables and various other forms of organization on the fly while note-taking.
4. Type/insert content anywhere on the page that's also movable etc...sort of like in OneNote. Also not a huge priority, but it's convenient.

Thanks!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 05:01 AM

To tell you the truth, i didn't read all of your requirements, but the top-tier notetaking app on the mac (in my mind, at least) is omnioutliner. Search it in google, omni-group has a whole suite of useful applications. I use omni-outliner regularly with no problems.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 05:10 AM

OmniOutliner is good, but nothing compares with OneNote (that I can find!)
we don't have time to stop for gas

ewiser
Jun 26, 2007, 06:37 AM

I use Aquaminds Notetaker it has been around since the Next era. Has a lot of power and can be used in a lot of different ways. AquaMinds - NoteTaker
Here is a link from the Apple learning Interchange on Notetaker. Apple Learning Interchange 2007 - NoteTaker: The Essential Tool for Teaching and Learning

Merlinus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2007, 09:15 AM

I checked out omnioutliner earlier and it didn't seem to meet what I wanted, but I'll try a trial version and see how I like it.

OmniOutliner is good, but nothing compares with OneNote (that I can find!)
Unfortunately, this is the conclusion I'm leaning towards, but I"ll try out a few more. I really don't want to be stuck using Parallels all the time

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Any more?

Forum Links
Forum Rules