Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need fuse for dark iBook G4 display

Need fuse for dark iBook G4 display
Bryan.C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2009, 04:15 AM

On the white 12" iBook g4 laptop logic board, (near the plug for the display inverter board), I've found a bad fuse at "F2101" --- this open fuse means zero power is reaching the backlight --- display is dim and dark.

This is a tiny surface mount chip style fuse. Mine has a "TH" printed on it.

I've gotten conflicting info from various sources but zero verification.
I need to know the appropriate ratings for a replacement fuse; i.e., amperes, voltage, timing. Or, if anyone has done this repair, what worked for you?

Anyone know what brand of fuse this is or the exact specs needed by this g4?
( Last edited by Bryan.C; Apr 6, 2009 at 04:21 AM. )

ewiser
Apr 6, 2009, 09:26 AM

This unit had a bad video cable routing that went thru the hinge of the display and it would blow the video board or the display would go out.
I know my daugther had one and I had to repair it. Being an electronic repair certified person I could repair it. The fuse is kind of fun to fix if you do not have the right type of soldering iron.
You would be wise to part this unit out.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2009, 05:57 PM

ewiser, I think you may be mixed up between the G3 and G4 iBooks.

The G3s had an issue with the screen cable where they would get pinched in the hinge - usually resulting in no display or in rare cases a short.
They had separate issue related to the connection of the graphics chip to the board, this caused video defects ranging from scrambled output to none at all.

The G4s have a known issue with a small chip which will develop bad solder joints over time and prevent the machine from powering up - only the fan will run - at full speed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules