Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Mighty Mouse: Customize and animate your cursors!

Mighty Mouse: Customize and animate your cursors! (Page 2)
Phoenix1701
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 05:30 PM

Beachball (and, I presume, Blobber) didn't bother with premultiplying the cursors before putting them into the CoreGraphics file, mainly because I didn't feel like making an engine to handle raw files. If you're looking to quickly premultiply or unpremultiply cursors for Mighty Mouse, though, may I suggest (ironically enough) the other software product I've created called Premultiplier. You'll have to invert the mask yourself, though I could add that to the program if you wanted... you (and anyone else who wants it) can get Premultiplier b7here.

Hope that helps. I'm glad to see b00zo is porting his Beachball cursors to the MM format... I will do the same with my Aqua cursor (and probably make a set out of it) in my Copious Free Time�.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 10:33 AM

Is there any reason why Mighty Mouse doesn't automatically run when I start my computer? I have to open System Preferences each time and tool around with it before I get my new cursors working.

Was this in the documentation and I just missed it?

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Is there any reason why Mighty Mouse doesn't automatically run when I start my computer? I have to open System Preferences each time and tool around with it before I get my new cursors working.

Sounds like you got a funky installation somehow. I suggest that you redownload and reinstall.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 08:48 PM

I get that too..... often after waking up from sleep the old arrow will be there and I have to open the pref pane and reimport and apply. Never happened with the beta I tested.... worked fine for months!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 09:30 PM

I deleted everything Mighty Mouse and then downloaded again. When System Preferences launched, it had my cursors already there but no way to apply changes. I played with it for a second until the Apply Changes button was active, and then I clicked it.

Now I'm going to restart and see if they stick.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 10:15 PM

Still doesn't work, and my computer just crashed for the first time in my life.

How does one go about getting his money back?

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 11:16 PM

Still doesn't work, and my computer just crashed for the first time in my life.

How does one go about getting his money back?
Ozmodiar, email me at jason at unsanity dot com and we'll see if we can get you up & running.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

wreks
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2003, 08:01 PM

it would be a nice touch if MM could change the Safari link cursor, it's located here "Contents/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources"

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2003, 10:15 PM

More importantly how about the cursor you get when you press controll in the Finder. (with the contextual menu)
David.

darkcore
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2003, 11:15 PM

The contextual menu cursor and a few others are contained in this resource file: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc

=)

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 05:50 AM

smeger Will there be an option to replace the link cursor (the one w/ the white glove). Since every cursor has been replaced, it seems strange to still have the standard OSX link cursor. Just wondering.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2003, 08:41 AM

As Wreks said, the link cursor for Safari can be found at Safari.app/Contents/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/linkCursor.tiff. However, if you try and replace it with another image, it does not work; instead of the new image appearing as the cursor, a bunch of gibberish does instead. Does anyone know why? I should mention that my new image was 17x22 pixels, rather than the standard 16x16.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 09:37 AM

The contextual menu cursor and a few others are contained in this resource file: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc
Thanks. It is just because I have used MM to add the QE shadows etc to my non QE iBook. I have also animated quite a few of my cursors to give an ultra aqua feel. This is one of the cursors though that is sticking out as needing changed to match the rest.
David.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Feb 23, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by DavidHossack:
Thanks. It is just because I have used MM to add the QE shadows etc to my non QE iBook. I have also animated quite a few of my cursors to give an ultra aqua feel. This is one of the cursors though that is sticking out as needing changed to match the rest.
Isn't it possible for MM to change the contextual cursor also? In a future version I mean. Smeger, slava?

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 03:33 PM

I hope so. It is the only one not converted. The other feature that would be good is to harvest the cursors from something like photoshop and enable us to change them too.

I am awaiting an update to fix the issue with mm that causes it to lose the settings when resolution/colur depth is changed. It is a pain.
David.

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 09:42 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this. We're currently evaluating the feasibility of adding more replaceable cursors, such as the contextual menu cursor, the "pointing hand" cursor and others.

I am awaiting an update to fix the issue with mm that causes it to lose the settings when resolution/colur depth is changed. It is a pain.
Yes, it is a pain. We're testing a fix, (which seems to be fine), and you should see it soon. It also fixes the issue that some are seeing where customization is lost when you awake a powerbook.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 05:23 PM

Thanks smeger.

[quote] Yes, it is a pain. We're testing a fix, (which seems to be fine), and you should see it soon. It also fixes the issue that some are seeing where customization is lost when you awake a powerbook.[quote]

Before purchase I talked to you support folks about this problem. Just to check it wasn't me.

I'm OK when my iBook wakes on this issue.

MM is great but any addition of the cursors it can change would be great.

David.

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 05:52 PM

I'm OK when my iBook wakes on this issue.

MM is great but any addition of the cursors it can change would be great.
The problem seems to be limited to certain models of Powerbook and certain configurations of video spanning (or mirroring, I can never remember which is which).

Glad you like Mighty Mouse!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2003, 12:58 PM

Smeger, can you make the packing system something PC users can also open? I think it's only fair that if you guys can use our cursors, we should be able to use yours too. I cant seem to open .mightymouse at all, it's not a zip or sit?

Chris

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 2, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Smeger, can you make the packing system something PC users can also open? I think it's only fair that if you guys can use our cursors, we should be able to use yours too. I cant seem to open .mightymouse at all, it's not a zip or sit?

Chris
Can you just copy/paste the images? Or is it different for PC's?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

ARENA
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 03:05 PM

Chris

So, when are you getting your Mac kmkkid?
I remember reading you were wainting for the Ghz iMacs.

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 05:42 PM

Chris
Sorry, I'm not planning on changing the file format. It's a Mac program so I'm not super-interested in writing in support for non-Mac users.

However, there are lots of ways of getting images out of the Mighty Mouse PrefPane. Try dragging to your desktop. If you drag from Available Cursors, you get an image that contains each frame of the cursor arranged vertically. Get individual frames by dragging from the table in the Cursor Editor. Get the opaque or mask image of an individual frame by dragging from the image wells. Or, use copy/paste.

P.S. Try a text editor. XML, baby!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
So, when are you getting your Mac kmkkid?
I remember reading you were wainting for the Ghz iMacs.
heh, well long story short...

My PC broke down, needed a new one, bought a new one, now I'm saving up for a mac again! Hopefully by the time I have enough, the 970's will be in them... but not likely

I want one so bad I'm trying to get my parents to co-sign a loan, but that aint happening

It will be this year no matter what though

And Smeger, well I dont think stardock made their program with the intentions of mac users using the cursors, but at least they used an open format - curxptheme = zip.

Chris

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 07:00 PM

And Smeger, well I dont think stardock made their program with the intentions of mac users using the cursors, but at least they used an open format - curxptheme = zip.
Have you tried opening a MightyMouse file in a text editor? The format's not exactly obfuscated.

In fact, it's technically more open, since XML is an open-standard and zip isn't.

Good luck with your getting-a-Mac plans!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this. We're currently evaluating the feasibility of adding more replaceable cursors, such as the contextual menu cursor, the "pointing hand" cursor and others.

I'd be satisfied with something that locks out those cursors. I like my cursor to stay the same all the time (as you can see by the one I designed). I long for the old days when the cursor was like an actual object that had a stability to it, not just another display item that changed shape and form constantly.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules