Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Izawa giving up??

Izawa giving up??
MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 06:51 AM

Izawa posted new news on his site, here the babelfish translation:

Theme making reopening
Color modification of place iTunes here and Fainder etc. we would like to see thing (only this) beingto do, it does, the article of the memorandum, but because it reached the limits gradually, that you think whether it probably will return to the theme making at this point. With with the notion that where you say, presently directing to the compilation of new theme, in the variety and examination (during mock-up drawing up) is. As for those which can be released still there is no at all, but it is the feeling may become white type theme as a classification for the present. Because as for appearance of white type it had not made even in Kaleidoscope age, being, we would like to try challenging regardless, it does, if, but you mentioned white theme,there beingan excellent worksuch as Milk and GUiPod, perhaps by some chance you think in those and the drill are similar. When it becomes so, as for compilation of white type theme it is the intention of giving up.
does that mean that he stops theming, or that he will do only white themes in future? I hope I missunderstood that because of the bad translation.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 07:07 AM

I think he's saying that he won't be doing white themes in the future, because there are too many already, and the opportunity that ShapeShifter has given us to create better dark themes should be exploited and challenged. So, I think he's saying he's going to work on more dark themes.

This is my take on the Babelfish gibberish anyway. I saw this yesterday, and have read it dozens of times trying to work it out!

Anyone speak Japanese that could give us a more accurate translation?
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

MetalSnake  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
I think he's saying that he won't be doing white themes in the future, because there are too many already, and the opportunity that ShapeShifter has given us to create better dark themes should be exploited and challenged. So, I think he's saying he's going to work on more dark themes.
He is reefering to the news with hex code changing and something about we reached the limits and smeger wrote already that he can�t implement these new changes into shapeshifter so it sounds to me that he won�t do dark themes or won�t do themes at all

sixz
May 11, 2004, 07:53 AM

...as for compilation of white type theme it is the intention of giving up.

Oops.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2004, 06:14 AM

Why can't he implement them into shapeshifer? I mean, I'm no programmer, but I wouldn't think it would be extremely complicated. Isn't that what gamesharks do for gameboys? Change a hex code to achieve a desired result?

slava
Forum Regular
May 12, 2004, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Why can't he implement them into shapeshifer? I mean, I'm no programmer, but I wouldn't think it would be extremely complicated. Isn't that what gamesharks do for gameboys? Change a hex code to achieve a desired result?
Uh huh. But unlike Gameboy games (or any console games, for that reason), applications tend to be updated every once in a while, which means new binaries, new offsets, and tons of hassle maintaining a list of versions vs list of hex offsets, etc stuff that may make it pretty uneasy to do. I think.
// slava@unsanity

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2004, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by slava:
...Applications tend to be updated every once in a while, which means new binaries, new offsets, and tons of hassle maintaining a list of versions vs list of hex offsets, etc stuff that may make it pretty uneasy to do. I think.
Exactly the reason Jason gives for the unlikely implementation of this technique into TP/SS. See his full reasoning at the end of this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=212193
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by slava:
Uh huh. But unlike Gameboy games (or any console games, for that reason), applications tend to be updated every once in a while, which means new binaries, new offsets, and tons of hassle maintaining a list of versions vs list of hex offsets, etc stuff that may make it pretty uneasy to do. I think.
Many applications are updated frequently, but I don't think the finder and/or iTunes are. I don't believe the Finder has changed at all since the release of 10.3, and itunes has been updated, but not to a large degree.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2004, 03:33 PM

itunes has been updated, but not to a large degree.
Oddly enough, the interface of iTunes has hardly changed at all, but all the hex addresses moved for some reason. Unfortunatley this is what would cause the problems if hex modification was included in SS and TP.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 05:29 PM

Please keep in mind that I didn't say that there wasn't spiffy new iTunes customization on the horizon in ShapeShifter. I said that I can't use the hex offset method, for the reasons I gave at Ozzpot's link and which Slava amplified upon.

My iTunes is looking rather spiffy right now, though, without using the hex offset method.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Please keep in mind that I didn't say that there wasn't spiffy new iTunes customization on the horizon in ShapeShifter. I said that I can't use the hex offset method, for the reasons I gave at Ozzpot's link and which Slava amplified upon.

My iTunes is looking rather spiffy right now, though, without using the hex offset method.
Jason sure knows what he's doing. I can't wait to see what he's got in store this time.
click one

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2004, 08:00 PM

Well, what about the Finder? Think if we could have some option in shapeshifter that lets us choose the color of the sidebar. I just checked now, and the finder has not changed at all since 10.3 was released. I also have a hunch that the background color of columns and lists are changeable via hex offsets as well.

That said... When you claim your iTunes looks spiffy, do you mean "it's perfectly fine with the current amount of customization." or "I know something you don't know."

slava
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 04:54 AM

That said... When you claim your iTunes looks spiffy, do you mean "it's perfectly fine with the current amount of customization." or "I know something you don't know."
Well, smeger always knows something we don't know, I guess. Sad to be us.
// slava@unsanity

smeger
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 12:57 PM

I mean that since ShapeShifter 1.2 was released to the public, I've been concentrating my coding efforts heavily towards providing additional customization for iTunes and I've made some progress. Not as much as I'd like, but enough that I think people will be pleased.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
I mean that since ShapeShifter 1.2 was released to the public, I've been concentrating my coding efforts heavily towards providing additional customization for iTunes and I've made some progress. Not as much as I'd like, but enough that I think people will be pleased.
Sounds great. I'd hope you're also making some headway toward the 1.5 milestone features too. (I think we all know why 1.5 is what we all want.)
click one

Tarambana
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 02:36 PM

ShapeShifter 1.5� My prreecioussss

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2004, 07:46 PM

shapeshifter doesn't actually replace the theme resource files for the system, so it stands to reason that there must be a way to get it to change iTunes' colors without modifing the iTunes executable...

Forum Links
Forum Rules