Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6100/60 what to do with it??

6100/60 what to do with it??
Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2004, 06:24 PM

I just obtained a PM 6100/60 for free. I'm wondering what I should do with it? I have a Quadra 660 running OpenBSD and 7.5. I know the only unix that I can run on it is mkLinux. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas what to do with it? I've considered getting a G3 upgrade for it, I saw a few on ebay for $30. I'm open to any and all ideas. Thanks.

Nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 05:41 PM

$30 is Ok and you get a G3, the speed bumb is at least from 60 to 233 MHz.

The 6100 is nice, reminds me the very nice LC

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2004, 06:11 PM

compared to mklinux, this is better imo: http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/

been a few years since i testet it, but i remember it worked well on both a 6100 and a 5200

Partisan01  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2004, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by ul1984:
compared to mklinux, this is better imo: http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/

been a few years since i testet it, but i remember it worked well on both a 6100 and a 5200
Any idea if that will work with a G3 upgrade? Also what was support like for other linux software (i.e. did things compile on it?) Thanks.

Nate

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2004, 12:12 AM

i have no idea if G3 cards will work, but according to the site, G3 cards may or may not work, so id assume some brands works and some doesnt.

anything that would compile on any other ppc linux box, should compile on it, as you can see on the site, you could install yellowdoglinux 2.3 or 3.0 or debian using this kernel, and they should work as expected, only thing that might lack, is hardware support for certain devices.

im sure its possible to install almost any linux distribution, that is ppc compatible, with some tweaking.

Partisan01  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by ul1984:
i have no idea if G3 cards will work, but according to the site, G3 cards may or may not work, so id assume some brands works and some doesnt.

anything that would compile on any other ppc linux box, should compile on it, as you can see on the site, you could install yellowdoglinux 2.3 or 3.0 or debian using this kernel, and they should work as expected, only thing that might lack, is hardware support for certain devices.

im sure its possible to install almost any linux distribution, that is ppc compatible, with some tweaking.
Thanks, I've heard that newertech G3 cards work fine, not sure about others. I'm waiting on a part in the mail, then I'm going to give it a try. My main concern is that some kernels might not work because of the NuBus slot in the mainboard instead of PCI. All I can do is test and find out.

Nate

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2004, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Partisan01:
My main concern is that some kernels might not work because of the NuBus slot in the mainboard instead of PCI.
what do you mean? why wouldnt the kernels at http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net work with machines with nubus slots, thats what they are made for.

btw what distribution are you going to try to install?

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2004, 01:03 PM

NUBUS G3 upgrade
Try this for the G3 Upgrade. Runs @ 500 MHz BUT... cost $200! A better buy is a complete Beige G3 @233 MHz for around $50 on ebay. It can run the latest linux kernels and un*xs.

Partisan01  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by swichd:
NUBUS G3 upgrade
Try this for the G3 Upgrade. Runs @ 500 MHz BUT... cost $200! A better buy is a complete Beige G3 @233 MHz for around $50 on ebay. It can run the latest linux kernels and un*xs.
I like that idea, the thing is I really like the small form factor of the 6100/60, I might try to jam a better computer in there, just for the heck of it. The bus speed is pretty limiting on the 6100. Thanks for the link.

Nate

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Partisan01:
I like that idea, the thing is I really like the small form factor of the 6100/60, I might try to jam a better computer in there, just for the heck of it. The bus speed is pretty limiting on the 6100. Thanks for the link.

Nate
If you want a very intersting project, try to install an imac logic board in the 6100 case. That would be cool.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 02:23 PM

I did the Frankenstein thing with the same specs.

Run it as is for a little while see if there are any other problems . . . like reading CDs and frequent crashes.

After I installed the 233 G3 card it was way faster. Good thing too cause the number of times I would simply lock up was surreal.

I am a big fan of blaming the nut behind the keyboard but finally I stripped the OS (OS 9.2.2) to be the base extension and still there were lots of lock outs.

I recommend just looking for something else.
Unless of course you are up for creating an Uber-Frankenstein...
I donated mine away.

just my thoughts

Partisan01  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by eyevaan:
I did the Frankenstein thing with the same specs.

Run it as is for a little while see if there are any other problems . . . like reading CDs and frequent crashes.

After I installed the 233 G3 card it was way faster. Good thing too cause the number of times I would simply lock up was surreal.

I am a big fan of blaming the nut behind the keyboard but finally I stripped the OS (OS 9.2.2) to be the base extension and still there were lots of lock outs.

I recommend just looking for something else.
Unless of course you are up for creating an Uber-Frankenstein...
I donated mine away.

just my thoughts
Did the computer run fine without the upgrade. I got it for free, and would like to put it to some use, probably with Linux-PPC and use it for a DNS server. What draws me to it over a newer computer is the lower power draw. What is the stability like with the unaltered system? Thanks.

Nate

Forum Links
Forum Rules