Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP selling 23" 1920x1200 widescreen DVI LCD for $1699

HP selling 23" 1920x1200 widescreen DVI LCD for $1699
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 13, 2004, 08:55 AM

Has anyone seen the HP L2335 23-inch widescreen flat panel display?

I wonder if it's any good. It's $1699, or $300 less than Apple's 23" Cinema Display, and it's DVI - useful for those (like PowerBook owners) without ADC.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 10:24 AM

I didn't see it on HP's site, but I read somewhere that it has 16ms response time, far better than apple's current panels. I thought I read that apple will probably use the same panel in their updated 23", which should be happening whenever those blasted G5's are released.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 11:42 AM

350:1 contrast ratio

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Same as the Apple 23", which looks pretty good itself. I only have the 20" Apple, but I think that has a 350:1 ratio as well.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
If I am not wrong, the Philips one has the best contrast ratio in the market, it was shown in the recent CeBIT, Germany.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Cellery:
Same as the Apple 23", which looks pretty good itself. I only have the 20" Apple, but I think that has a 350:1 ratio as well.
It might look pretty to you, but I deal with FCP and photoshop and watch tons of movies with my computer. I need my blacks as black as they can possibly be, but still have the monitor fit on my dorm-room desk. I got a formac 1740 which has a pretty decent ratio. It's not the best, but its a far sight better than any Apple LCD

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 10:41 PM

Pivot rotation! On a display this size!
Now that's cool.

My PC's video card supports rotation, and the retail Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition also supports rotation.

I do a lot of writing, and the rotating 17" LCD on my Dell at work is nice. Full page, actual size. Nice.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Pivot rotation! On a display this size!
Now that's cool.

My PC's video card supports rotation, and the retail Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition also supports rotation.

I do a lot of writing, and the rotating 17" LCD on my Dell at work is nice. Full page, actual size. Nice.
But, under Mac OS X?, I think not, for sure under Mac OS 9 it�ll works... am I wrong about the Mac OS X rotation support?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
But, under Mac OS X?, I think not, for sure under Mac OS 9 it�ll works... am I wrong about the Mac OS X rotation support?
The drivers for the retail Radeon 9800 Pro support display rotation (VersaVision), AFAIK.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 01:49 AM

That display is awesome. Sounds like it has VGA input too, would look nice standing where my 22" ACD is..

Hrmm... Maybe later
Aloha

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2004, 04:00 PM

The drivers for the retail Radeon 9800 Pro support display rotation (VersaVision), AFAIK.
Sure, I read it now on the ATI site. But it is writed under Dual Screen specs, hope works with only one screen.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2004, 12:35 PM

Interesting: The native display rez is the same for both yet HP's site states that their model is a true 16:9 where as the Apple is a 16:10 aspect ratio.

That aside the HP looks to be a much better model/deal unless you're getting in on the Brilliant Savings promotion with Apple. Besides (the useless for Mac users) pivot display you are also getting component and s-video inputs with PIP capabilities. Totally cool if you want to use your monitor for full screen presentations or watch tv or play video games.

HP also gives you a 3 year warranty compared to the crappy 1 year for Apple. Apple won't even sell you an extended warranty for theirs.

The icing on the cake to me is the smaller bezel. The Apple bezel is grotesque in size taking up much needed desk space.

If I were to buy today, even without comparing the two image wise, the HP would be a no-brainer.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
Apple won't even sell you an extended warranty for theirs.
AppleCare covers one display in addition to the computer it's associated with.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
AppleCare covers one display in addition to the computer it's associated with.
If it's purchased at the same time on the same receipt.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 06:13 AM

but, here in Europe, a 2 years warranty is mandatory... though :-/

To buy a TFT with a warranty of only one year... fear

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 07:05 AM

Even so, 99% of the 3 year warranties are 'Broken down' into a 1 year, 2 year, and 3 year warranty. 1 year labor, 2 year backlight, 3 year general coverage.
Aloha

velodev
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 09:22 AM

What about the Radeon 9000?

velodev
Senior User
May 26, 2004, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Even so, 99% of the 3 year warranties are 'Broken down' into a 1 year, 2 year, and 3 year warranty. 1 year labor, 2 year backlight, 3 year general coverage.
I don't know about that... my crappy Viewsonic 15" that I have been holding onto for no apparent reason was just completely replaced because the backlight went out. It is over 2 years old and less than 3.

Which now that I am considering a new display and Apple only has 1 year since I am not buying a computer with it... it's pretty much in my court to take the ball and go home. I just can't buy a 23" and only have 1 year warranty when I just spent close to $2000.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 01:11 PM

but, here in Europe, a 2 years warranty is mandatory... though :-/

To buy a TFT with a warranty of only one year... fear
Not everywere in Europe.

MaxPower2k3: Does that mean if I own a PowerBook/iBook that only my 'books screen is covered ? Or also an extra external screen ?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Not everywere in Europe.

MaxPower2k3: Does that mean if I own a PowerBook/iBook that only my 'books screen is covered ? Or also an extra external screen ?
I mean, there is a law about public goods, comodities or the name you like, having a 2 years warranty, right?

About the PowerBook and display, I got the 17" PB Apple Care a couple of weeks ago, it includes the warranty for an Apple Display if you bought it at the same time that the PowerBook. I 'only' ordered the 17" PB AppleCare, so it must be included.

Link
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 05:13 PM

Yeah the warranty REALLY depends. IIRC, the HP one covers EVERYTHING for the 3 years from the date you buy it

I kinda wish I could get one but I'm not going to be doing that
Aloha

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 27, 2004, 01:56 PM

I mean, there is a law about public goods, comodities or the name you like, having a 2 years warranty, right?
Only in Germany and France IIRC (certainly not in Belgium)

velodev
Senior User
May 27, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Yeah the warranty REALLY depends. IIRC, the HP one covers EVERYTHING for the 3 years from the date you buy it

I kinda wish I could get one but I'm not going to be doing that
I kinda wish I could see one... with cash in hand, I want to see the difference between the 500:1 contrast ratio and the overall styling.

Otherwise, job well done... you sold me Link.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2004, 03:15 PM

What kind of performance do you need to get decent gaming framerates without tearing?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
What about the Radeon 9000?
No, only the retail 9800. The OEM doesn't have the feature, either (firmware issue).

velodev
Senior User
Jun 15, 2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Has anyone seen the HP L2335 23-inch widescreen flat panel display?

I wonder if it's any good. It's $1699, or $300 less than Apple's 23" Cinema Display, and it's DVI - useful for those (like PowerBook owners) without ADC.
Here's a great non-biased review of the screen from gamers and users themselves...

[H]ardOCP

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2004, 01:43 AM

Here's a great non-biased review of the screen from gamers and users themselves...
Thanks for that link. It's a very tempting display. Apple, can you top it?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2004, 06:36 AM

I like this one

videian28
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 08:58 AM

angel that is a very nice one indeed, but only place I could find it for sale it was $2500+

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
angel that is a very nice one indeed, but only place I could find it for sale it was $2500+
Sure it is expensive, but that is the best display out there.

I also find this 17" model wonderful, monitor and HD TV all in one :-o

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2004, 05:41 PM

anyone who compares contrast ratio between two flat panels doesn't know anything about flat panels.

contrast ratio is the ratio between max light and max dark. to get this number higher the easiest thing to do is simply to make the dark darker.

make the dark 50% darker an your contrast ratio just doubled.

total brightness, color accuracy and refresh are where it's at.

fb2

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 06:02 PM

And in that, the 23" HP probably beats the 23" apple without any guessing (unless it's the same LCD panel)
Aloha

macenzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2004, 08:05 AM

it is an EU law. 2 years warranty in all Eu States is a must.

LordJohnWhorfin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2004, 02:59 PM

Lots of credit cards double or triple the manufacturer's insurance for all items you purchase. Check with your credit card company, you may have to register the item at the time of purchase. But it's a very useful, little-known feature, and it's free.
So at least that gets you 2 years warranty.
Still, the HP is one compelling bargain. What is the lowest street price one can find it for?

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 10:15 PM

1699 -- I've seen it as low as 1650 before but sometimes it's been known to go on sale as low as 1500 o_O

For the price it's a damn nice monitor.
Aloha

velodev
Senior User
Jun 20, 2004, 01:53 AM

I've got a quote with my CDW rep for $1650.

I've sold my two Viewsonic LCD's and a couple other items to bring the fund total to $1200+. Now I am debating getting rid of my PowerMac and make my Powerbook my primary device.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 04:17 AM

I could probably bag about $1000 if I sold my 22" cinema display but *sigh* the effort isn't worth it
Aloha

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2004, 10:35 PM

I would much rather have Eyegonomic's 24" flat panel. They are aluminum and match the G5's perfectly...

http://www.eyegonomic.com/page.dsp?page=188

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
I would much rather have Eyegonomic's 24" flat panel. They are aluminum and match the G5's perfectly...
Same ol' non-adjustable tilted back design as Apple's current Cinemas. No thanks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2004, 02:44 AM

OK, it may not be wide aspect ratio, but what do you guys think of this one. Samsung 213T.

It's got 1600x1200, has DVI and VGA dual input, its height and tilt is adjustable, it does pivot, the surrounding bezel is very thin, and the Aluminum finish fits perfectly with the PowerBook or PowerMac.

The best part is that my lab can buy these for roughly $1100. I am really tempted.

LordJohnWhorfin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 03:15 AM

There's always the 21" Dull. We have a few of those at work and it is a really nice monitor. 1600x1200 native, and you can get it on sale for around $750. If the Dull logo irks you too much there is a similar model from Planar that gets discounted in the same price range.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2004, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by freakboy2:
anyone who compares contrast ratio between two flat panels doesn't know anything about flat panels.

contrast ratio is the ratio between max light and max dark. to get this number higher the easiest thing to do is simply to make the dark darker.

make the dark 50% darker an your contrast ratio just doubled.

total brightness, color accuracy and refresh are where it's at.

fb2
I'd rather say that putting a brighter tube in it is easier. Making the dark darker is more difficult because dark colors can't be darkened, they would become invsible.
( Last edited by motti; Jun 22, 2004 at 08:41 AM. )
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

velodev
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:

http://www.eyegonomic.com/page.dsp?page=188
I inquired about these LCD's. You can sure purchase one for your own good but I thank my lucky stars I talked to the Michigan dealer before adding it to the short list.

The warranty sucks, the price sucks, and if you search through Google... their build quality sucks even more. After I found all this out I was curious why they still manufacture displays or even insult consumers with a $2700 price tag.

If you want it repaired or replaced... guess where it goes - Europe.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
OK, it may not be wide aspect ratio, but what do you guys think of this one. Samsung 213T.

It's got 1600x1200, has DVI and VGA dual input, its height and tilt is adjustable, it does pivot, the surrounding bezel is very thin, and the Aluminum finish fits perfectly with the PowerBook or PowerMac.

The best part is that my lab can buy these for roughly $1100. I am really tempted.
I would like to help you but if it isn't 16;10 or 16:9 ratio and over 17"... it's going to be obsolete soon. TV's and monitors are slowly migrating to all 16:10/16:9 ratio. Look at Apple Powerbooks and all HDTV's being produced for example.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2004, 02:51 AM

I would like to help you but if it isn't 16;10 or 16:9 ratio and over 17"... it's going to be obsolete soon.
Obsolete? Will my 4:3 monitor suddenly stop working because their are more 16:10/9?

Currently, 16:10 may be a nice-to-have, but for my work it doesn't offer any real benefit, but the wide aspect screens are all more expensive. So, I don't really see the point.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2004, 03:06 AM

To say all 4x3 displays will be obsolete soon is a bit extreme. Perhaps velodev is thinking in terms only of video. Even so, we've got a few years to go before video screens are predominantly 16x10/9.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 07:52 AM

Obsolete? Will my 4:3 monitor suddenly stop working because their are more 16:10/9?
Not to nit-pick but you're waaaaa off.

Main Entry: ob�so�les�cence
Pronunciation: "�b-s&-'les-&ns
- a loss in the utility or value of property that results over time from intrinsic limitations or external circumstances

Currently, 16:10 may be a nice-to-have, but for my work it doesn't offer any real benefit, but the wide aspect screens are all more expensive. So, I don't really see the point.
We all have our own needs however Samsung, Dell, etc. won't worry about you as an individual when they start (and they already have) noticing the premium and the applications for having a 16:10 screen. Keep your LCD - however over the span of a 3-5 years you're going to have to replace it (balasts, back light, etc.)

velodev
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by iDaver:
To say all 4x3 displays will be obsolete soon is a bit extreme. Perhaps velodev is thinking in terms only of video. Even so, we've got a few years to go before video screens are predominantly 16x10/9.
To me a few years is "soon".

For example, if you walk into a large retailer (BB and CC) and notice the amount of 4:3 rear projection vs. 16:9 wide aspect HDTV's available - you're witnessing the the few years it is going to take to make wide aspect predominent and 4:3 obsolete.

I think what you were thinking is by obsolete is that they will be rid of the earth or non-functional which isn't the case - they just won't have any value. Like my old Handspring Visor. I can't run any apps on Palm 3.1 and there is no color screen. But that doesn't mean it doesn't work. In the marketplace I could probably get one for $5. They used to be $300.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2004, 08:30 AM

Not to nit-pick but you're waaaaa off.

Main Entry: ob�so�les�cence
Pronunciation: "�b-s&-'les-&ns
- a loss in the utility or value of property that results over time from intrinsic limitations or external circumstances
I know well what the word means, but you are missing the irony and the point here.

I know that 16:10/9 is the future and that 4:3 is dying out. Certainly in the Mac world.

All I am saying is that I myself in my own work have no benefit from 16:10/9 so buying a 4:3 will mean no loss of value over time due to the aspect ratio. Even if the whole world uses 16:10 (which it won't) my 4:3 would still be fine for my use.

You may see this differently for yourself and that's perfectly fine, but there is not one single general rule valid for everybody.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 23, 2004, 12:49 PM

I know well what the word means, but you are missing the irony and the point here.

I know that 16:10/9 is the future and that 4:3 is dying out. Certainly in the Mac world.

All I am saying is that I myself in my own work have no benefit from 16:10/9 so buying a 4:3 will mean no loss of value over time due to the aspect ratio. Even if the whole world uses 16:10 (which it won't) my 4:3 would still be fine for my use.

You may see this differently for yourself and that's perfectly fine, but there is not one single general rule valid for everybody.
Hmm, I guess you're just twisting the meaning to pertain to you. I am not concerned with the personal value you put on your monitor... but as the industry as a whole. The value for a 4:3 monitor in the "industry" will soon be obsolete.

I mean, I could consider my car to be priceless because it drives me from home to work and back again. This doesn't mean it necessarily is when it comes to the automotive marketplace. I could relate this further... but I am hoping you got the point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules