Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Windows Media Player not working in Tiger

Windows Media Player not working in Tiger
Bogartte
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 03:54 PM

Well, it seems the Mac version of Windoze Media Player isn't working in Tiger!

Unless I need to re-download it, and install again, any word on an Tiger version?

What to do?

thanks

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 03:56 PM

It works for me just fine (did an archive and install). If not, there's always VLC.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2005, 04:01 PM

Yes, reinstall it. Then it works.

-t

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 04:03 PM

I did a clean install of 10.4 then downloaded that crappo WiMP for Mac and installed and it Just Works� (hey it does work in referance to an M$ product!! )

It is still crap though.

“Building Better Worlds”

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2005, 06:01 PM

Hmm... strange. I ran into the same problem, reinstalled WMP, and still no worky. I wouldn't care except I wanted to see Kelsey Grammer fall offstage (thread in the Lounge).

tae667
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 07:05 PM

I did an upgrade install and WMP didn't work. Reinstalled it: didn't help. First time I ever used Spotlight was when I searched for preferences of WMP. Then I deleted them which made WMP functional.

Geoff9920
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2005, 06:58 PM

I'm having the same problem with Windows Media Player. I've tried searching for and deleting the preferences, but that didn't work. I did an Archive and Install of Tiger by the way. I've also tried reinstalling WMP which didn't work. I did an Archive and Install of Tiger by the way. Would someone be so kind as to help me out please. Thanks.

bmedina
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 02:20 AM

Same problem here. What makes it more frustrating is that it works on my laptop but not on my desktop. Both are archive and installs. Re-installation of WMP did not fix the problem.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2005, 01:28 AM

I was having a problem viewing streaming video from gamespot. After some trial and error, I finally got it working. I opened windows media player and changed the prefs and changed the protocols in network settings to accept only HTTP with no proxy. This solved the problem with very long buffering or failure to load videos altogether.

This may just be my own problem with having a firewall, but the settings from my previous installation didn't stick. In fact, I noticed the settings changing back for some reason. Best bet- restart, open WMP, change settings, open safari, see if your streaming works.

i really hate WMP, but what can u do...

good luck...

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2005, 09:33 PM

I think someone should make clear that you have to remove the Windows Media Preference File that is located in Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences, the other preference file in the main Library folder won't cut it, I kept looking for this file with the assumption that it was going to be a com.microsoft.* file or a microsoft.mediaplayer.* file, so finding the file starting with "Windows Media," didn't come easy, although I should have known to search for that, anyway hope that helps. Oh btw the modern skin also causes crashes, use the normal skin in WiMP.

bmedina
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 01:00 AM

Cool, I'll give that a shot on the computer where I'm having problems. 10.4 says it's resetting the application to default settings when I have it relaunch a crashed application. Perhaps it's not finding that particular preference file?

bmedina
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 12:42 PM

Removing "~/Library/Preferences/Windows Media Player Prefs" worked for me! I guess we can confirm that Tiger's new crash relaunch feature doesn't always find all preference files.

atlcane
May 16, 2005, 11:07 PM

I ran all of these suggestions and still cannot get it to work.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 02:48 PM

Did you move it from its original install folder?

For some reason, in my limited testing, it seems to work fine if you leave it there, with the EULA and the demo snippet, but moving it out of that useless folder will break it. :/

Geoff9920
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 05:13 PM

I've also tried everything mentioned in this thread and WMP has yet to work for me.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 09:49 PM

WMP for Mac worked for me after an Archive & Install, but it still is friggin' slow... the "lag" between audio and video is really crappy.

Even RealPlayer works better than WMP, and I used to avoid RP on Windows last time...

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

iNAP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 04:39 PM

Ok I'm getting ready to toss this tiger out the window
I tried eveything and it still not working to view .wmv

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 05:54 PM

It's laggy & ugly and luckily I don't need it for anything important, but it works in Tiger on both my Macs - didn't have to trash prefs, re-install, etc.

... and not being able to view wmv's is probably the best reason in the world to dump Tiger

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2005, 05:57 PM

You're willing to toss Tiger out the windows because Windows Media Player won't work?

littlegreenspud
Senior User
May 25, 2005, 10:40 AM

If you are only using WMP to watch videos then you could try:

http://www.flip4mac.com/flip4mac_home.htm

It works for me - and you can scrub through the video unlike WMP.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
You're willing to toss Tiger out the windows because Windows Media Player won't work? Woah.
Windows Media Player works on Tiger exactly the same as it did on Panther.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Poorly?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
If you'll kindly read the thread, you will note that it broke for a lot of people, including myself.

I have tried to re-install it several times, and it has worked - occasionally.

Just tried it again, and it refused to launch.

Now, unless you're suggesting that this is what happened on my machines running Panther, I think you're wrong.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2005, 11:43 AM

Ah - solved it for my machine.

The trick appears to be that there are TWO Windows media player preferences here, both of them in my home/Library/Preferences

one is called com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist (or so), and the other is called Windows Media Playersomething.

once I deleted both of these and then re-installed, it worked fine.

And yeah, I had it set to that ugly yellow/blue window theme (the standard setting on one of the older versions).

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
And yeah, I had it set to that ugly yellow/blue window theme (the standard setting on one of the older versions).
OK, I must apologize then.

I have been only using the "Standard" theme and it worked fine. Trying to switch to "Modern" does indeed make it crash. I didn't care about themes in Windows Media Player (or anything else of it for that matter) so I was not noticing it. Sorry again.

Meritocracy
Jun 1, 2005, 03:06 AM

Nothing in this thread has helped in my situation. Video plays perfectly after a warning I've become familiar with as it now appears prior to playback on EVERY single windows media file I attempt (The file may not play correctly because it was compressed by using a codec that is not supported blah blah blah), however, zero audio for all files. Zilch...nada. Annoying to say the least considering this issue was nonexistant for me on all iterations of Panther.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 04:48 AM

It's probably just incidentally that the site where you have been watching video has switched to a newer audio codec unsupported by WMP 9 at about the same time you upgraded to Tiger.

Meritocracy
Jun 1, 2005, 05:11 AM

I'd like that to be the case, and could obviously excuse that, however, these are files I've had on my HD prior to upgrading which played perfectly on Panther with Windows Media Player. All now initially display the message in question and play with no audio.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

Forum Links
Forum Rules