Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Flip4Mac now free

Flip4Mac now free (Page 2)
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Maybe my computer is too slow?

867mhz g4 powerbook.
Nope, works fine on my 667 DVI TiBook with 1GB RAM.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 03:11 AM

FYI: 2.0.1 is out. Hopefully it fixes the crashing!
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 04:09 AM

Micro$oft's decision to pull WMP should be VERY bad news for us in the Mac community.

First they pulled MSN, then IE, now this. I'm surprised they still let VPC exist. When they can't compete against something better than their shoddy offerings, they pick up their marbles and leave.

I know that some of us will roll our eyes to this, but think about it. More and more web sites now require WMP in order to listen to/view their media content. Not just the pimple-faced blogger sites but major TV station, commercial radio, and corporate sites as well. Hell, some even deploy ActiveX, thus locking out anyone without Windows and/or MSIE!

The vast majority of noobs in the Mac community want to be able to watch Windows Media files. Now that MS has all but killed development and with more and more of those content providers using WMP 10 and DRM, they're not going to know what to do. And telling them, "Don't bother with that crappy format" is not a viable solution.

Windows Media is proliferating like a cancer and ignoring it isn't going to make it go away...

Complain to the web developers? Futile. They just give the canned marketshare/statistics response.

Sad to say, Flip4Mac isn't the holy plugin to cure this. Even after going 2.0, it still has a long way to go toward 100% usability (couldn't say the same about 1.0.x, which was betaware).

The irony? MS has whimpered that consumers "want choice."

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 04:10 AM

Can anyone else not get this to work in Firefox 1.5? I just get a "what do you want to do with this file" dialoge, and when I choose open with wmv player.app, it opens it in quicktime. I'd much rather have it open within the browser window like Safari does.

Great app btw.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
First they pulled MSN, then IE, now this. I'm surprised they still let VPC exist.
VPC (and Office) exists because MS makes money on them. WMP was free.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 07:28 AM

Given that bugger all has been done with WIMP for years, it surprised me to hear that they actually thought they still were developing WIMP for Mac!

StarCross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 08:11 AM

Version 2.0.1 prevents me from using any Microsoft Office X application. I would start up Word, for example, and it would suddenly quit after showing the splash screen. Thus, Flip4Mac was promptly uninstalled.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 08:18 AM

Word 2004 and Excel 2004 launch fine for me. Maybe its just an issue with Office v.X

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 09:05 AM

Micro$oft's decision to pull WMP should be VERY bad news for us in the Mac community. I know that some of us will roll our eyes to this, but think about it. More and more web sites now require WMP in order to listen to/view their media content.
There might also be a chance in this development.

When ProSieben (a major German television station) changed their website to use WMV instead of MPEG I went into their forum to raise my voice. There were several Linux people already. The webmaster replied and said that Windows Media Player is available for Mac also, so it's cross-platform and that's why they went with it.
Today WMV isn't cross-platform any more. You can either use WMV and only deliver to Windows folks, or you could use MPEG-4 and be playable on Windows, Mac, Linux, iPod, PSP, ... everything. Why would anybody not choose an open standard? It's a mystery to me.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
There might also be a chance in this development.

When ProSieben (a major German television station) changed their website to use WMV instead of MPEG I went into their forum to raise my voice. There were several Linux people already. The webmaster replied and said that Windows Media Player is available for Mac also, so it's cross-platform and that's why they went with it.
Today WMV isn't cross-platform any more. You can either use WMV and only deliver to Windows folks, or you could use MPEG-4 and be playable on Windows, Mac, Linux, iPod, PSP, ... everything. Why would anybody not choose an open standard? It's a mystery to me.
Excellent theory...never thought of it that way.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 09:16 AM

But cant they just argue then that Flip4Mac is free, and reccomended by microsoft - thus WMV is supported?
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 09:22 AM

First they pulled MSN
Huh? MSN is still available for Mac AFAIK.

And Roz Ho, MacBU spokesperson, went on the record at the Macworld Keynote on Tuesday saying that Messenger is still supported.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Huh? MSN is still available for Mac AFAIK.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...d=msnformacosx

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by RevEvs
But cant they just argue then that Flip4Mac is free, and reccomended by microsoft - thus WMV is supported?
They could and I don't expect any change soon, but I hope that more decision makers will now more clearly see that Windows Media is just that: for Windows only.

LiquidGuy
Jan 13, 2006, 12:07 PM

Now if only QT could play .AVI, I would be a happy Mac user.

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidGuy
You are a happy Mac user.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 12:26 PM

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
and www.3ivx.com

Better to install both.

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 03:59 PM

Flip4Mac works perfectly as a "stand alone" app, but when I try to view a WMV in Safari, all I get is the "You must install Windows Media Player" screen (yes, the Flip4Mac plug-ins are installed). How can I get these to play? Thanks in advance!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 13, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidGuy
AVI, like QuickTime, is a container format that can contain any number of video formats inside. QuickTime can open AVI "containers", but it may or may not have the codec for the video contained within. Some codecs can be downloaded, some can't.

tooki

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 04:12 PM

Ah sorry - mixed up MSN and MSN Messenger (which IS supported).

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
<snip>... MSN Messenger (which IS supported).
Barely...

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by jrafter
Flip4Mac works perfectly as a "stand alone" app, but when I try to view a WMV in Safari, all I get is the "You must install Windows Media Player" screen (yes, the Flip4Mac plug-ins are installed). How can I get these to play? Thanks in advance!
Did you check System Preferences>Flip4Mac WMV>Plug-in:

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
Did you check System Preferences>Flip4Mac WMV>Plug-in:
Yes. Actually, the "Use Flip4Mac WMV Internet plug-in" option is checked but greyed out.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 07:34 PM

Yes. Actually, the "Use Flip4Mac WMV Internet plug-in" option is checked but greyed out.
It's grayed out because you are in a user account, and that checkbox can only be changed from an admin account.

Chris

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
It's grayed out because you are in a user account, and that checkbox can only be changed from an admin account.

Chris
Thank you for the suggestion, but I am in my one and only account, with full administrative privileges.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2006, 08:39 PM

You may have an unlicensed version then.

The major problem with the discontinuation of WiMP is that Flip4Mac does not support streaming.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jrafter
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 09:48 PM

Mystery solved! I had disabled the WMP plug-ins; when I re-enabled them, the Flip4Mac option was accessible.

Thank you all for your help!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
You may have an unlicensed version then.

The major problem with the discontinuation of WiMP is that Flip4Mac does not support streaming.
They're working on it...according to CraigS (the mod over there).

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 11:58 AM

Won't Apple just add this ability to QT themselves now that MS has dropped it?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2006, 01:21 PM

No. They would have to pay MS to licence WMV.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
No. They would have to pay MS to licence WMV.
And how much wouold that be? 1 dollar per license? more? less?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2006, 08:03 PM

Seeing how the WM codecs for Quicktime are available to download off of Microsoft's site, I think it is fair game for anybody to do stuff with the WM-QT plug, but I could be mistaken.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Seeing how the WM codecs for Quicktime are available to download off of Microsoft's site, I think it is fair game for anybody to do stuff with the WM-QT plug, but I could be mistaken.
Nope, to import into iMovie you need to buy the shareware one. The free version gives an error when you try it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Appleman
And how much wouold that be? 1 dollar per license? more? less?
Given that the cost of the QT plug-in for MPEG2 playback is $20 each time there is a new version of QT and that Apple charges $30 for QT Pro, do you honestly think that they want to increase the burden of pricing even further just so people can play an arch-enemy's codec, even if it were only $1 per licence (which is very unlikely)? Maybe I'm wrong and they would build it into QT but what it most definitely will not be is free. FWIW, they wouldn't just face the cost of the licensing fee either, but also the costs of supporting end-users with problems playing wmv files (e.g. all those DRMed wmv files that will never be playable on anything but Windows). I just don't see Apple taking on that burden for something that offers nothing to them in return.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2006, 07:17 PM

Flip4Mac crashes anything that tries to access wmv, asf or such files on my machine. The computer was working perfectly before I installed it. Harrumph. Is there a simple uninstall for this beastie?

Meritocracy
Jan 26, 2006, 07:29 PM

Flip4Mac WMV Uninstaller. It's in your Flip4Mac folder located in Applications. Not exactly difficult to detect.
What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 08:07 PM

Oddly enough, I have no issues with watching videos through Safari, but QT bugs out when I try to launch a WMV file off my desktop. Is this a known issue with Flip4Mac 2.0.1 and QT 7.0.4? I know that there are some issues with this version of QT...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2006, 02:58 PM

Thanks Meritocracy - hadn't noticed that that was the uninstaller (in column view). Like the tone, too

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2006, 05:06 PM

I asked about the Intel version, here is the answer.
Thanks for your interest in Flip4Mac! Our developers are working hard to revise the code to support the Intel version of the Mac. We hope to have this release available soon but I don't have a ETA for you! Watch our website for an announcement.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster

Multi Post
Forum Hiccup
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jan 27, 2006 at 05:28 PM. )

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster

Multi Post
Forum Hiccup
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jan 27, 2006 at 05:29 PM. )

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2006, 05:07 PM

Multi Post
Forum Hiccup
I am sure I didn't click this many times
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jan 27, 2006 at 05:31 PM. )

BFerrentino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 03:57 PM

Just letting everyone know that we're having a problem with Quicktime 7.1.3 and our version Flip4Mac WMV 2.1

Most of you have probably noticed AVI and ASF files do not play video in Quicktime anymore. We're working on it. Just spreading the word.

Also finding out Quicktime is impossible to uninstall now that they got rid of the 7.0.1 reinstaller. Does anyone have one of those packages saved Flip4Mac could use?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BFerrentino View Post
Just letting everyone know that we're having a problem with Quicktime 7.1.3 and our version Flip4Mac WMV 2.1

Most of you have probably noticed AVI and ASF files do not play video in Quicktime anymore. We're working on it. Just spreading the word.

Also finding out Quicktime is impossible to uninstall now that they got rid of the 7.0.1 reinstaller. Does anyone have one of those packages saved Flip4Mac could use?
Let me be the first to say: Your support is appalling. You've been promising a fix for months now in your forums. People depend on your product now that WMP for the Mac platform is dead. Get with it and fix the damn bugs, instead of promising fixes and not producing.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2006, 07:25 PM

I have a 7.1.2 installer package lying around.

Do you mean to say that you are a developer of QuickTime plug-ins, and you don't keep all version installers of QuickTime archived on your company server?

What are you, licensed to Microsoft or something?

BFerrentino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Let me be the first to say: Your support is appalling. You've been promising a fix for months now in your forums. People depend on your product now that WMP for the Mac platform is dead. Get with it and fix the damn bugs, instead of promising fixes and not producing.
I appreciate the anguish over the time delays in our product.

The fact is: Neither Apple nor Microsoft really wants to help us out. We only recently obtained the needed code from Microsoft to fix the two pass VBR issues, and are working day and night to implement the code. Apple never gave us the 7.1.3 build, as per agreements previously made, and when we asked about it, they basically ignored us. Being a small company between two giants of the industry leaves you to pick up the pieces when and where you can. All the input our customers have been giving us has been great, and we really appreciate everyone having patience while we work towards perfecting the player and encoding capabilities.

Our goal: Play everything Windows Media Player can, and with the stability and quality a Mac can assure you.

As for the installers, I have installers for builds 6.5.2, 7.0.1-7.1.3. The issue I'm having is not having a 7.0.1 reinstaller availble. I'm a recent hire here, and previously Flip4Mac has been run with very few people(We're a part of Telestream, Inc.) and have recent hires, a lot has been overlooked. I'm here to help run this engine more smoothly. Once again, thanks for all the support. Look forward to hearing from you all again.

-Ben, Flip4Mac QA & Support

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2006, 09:48 PM

Our goal: Play everything Windows Media Player can
Does this mean you intend to eventually support the DRMed files, such as the ones purchased from PlaysForSure (ha) music stores?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
How much did they charge you for their software? What type of support agreement does it include?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2006, 05:55 AM

BFerrentino, thanks for the clarification.

Looking forward to your future products and wish you the best of luck dealing with the situation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules