Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Illustrator CS 2

Illustrator CS 2
art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 01:02 PM

Anyone using it?

I installed it recently and have been getting a lot of crashes. Thinking I might have a problem on my system.

Anyone else having issues?

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 01:47 PM

Fonts?

th3ph17
Jan 31, 2006, 01:47 PM

i've had one crash only, and that was me getting a little excited with Live Trace. Dual 2GHz, 1.5 GB.

I'm running CS & CS2, haven't had any other problems. What is going on when it crashes?

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2006, 01:53 PM

Haven't checked the font situation...good suggestion...

I'm working on a document created someone else in an earlier version of Illustrator, CS, I believe. The design is a large number (as in hundreds) of drawn shapes grouped to make the design elements. I keep getting crashes when attempting to allign this group with some simple items, among them type. It could be the complexity of the files that is giving me issues.

My box and memory aren't the problem: Dual 2.5 with 6.5GB RAM.

th3ph17
Jan 31, 2006, 05:36 PM

just got mine to crash by making a group of random shapes, making several dozen copies, adding filters to some [outer glow to some, drop shadow to others] and aligning with a bit of text. Before adding the filters i couldn't get it to crash.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 11:50 AM

No filters in my file...hmmm...

th3ph17
Feb 1, 2006, 12:45 PM

and of course, i just tried again, had several hundred shapes, distortions, shadows, etc....no crash.

when you do figure it out please post again here--it sounds like a typical software voodoo problem.

my only real problem in CS2 is slider controls...they tend to freeze up sometimes. Not for long, but its frustrating.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 02:27 PM

I was having a similar issue, so I just went back to CS1. But I have heard that if you also just installed Tiger that spotlight spends a couple of days catologing your files. I was also using Extensis and that is not supported, from what I heard. Can anyone confirm? So I am just adding them to the font folder under users. That is our companies new workflow.

I am going to slowly start using CS2 and see if it is better now that spotlight has had some time to update.
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 03:25 PM

Extensis Suitcase Fusion has ironically solved a lot of font cache problems I had. Thank the gods!

I used to hate it (because of its non-subtle-OS-X-like interface behavior), but now, it's just a background utility.

Forum Links
Forum Rules