Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Future upgrade ability

Future upgrade ability
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 02:43 PM

I've always had laptops and I'm waiting for my first desktop - a Mac Pro. Upgrading laptops were limited to the HD and the memory. Now with the MP, I assume that the upgrade path is widened. So here's my question- lets say that I want a better video card- are my options limited to the ones that apple ships with the mac pro? I mean I went to Nvidia and ATI and browsed their cards and failed to find any mac drivers for them. Are they already included in OS X?

If not, when there is a refresh of the MP (I assume that there will be faster video cards in them) could I just purchase the same card from a 3rd party vendor and pop it into the my MP ?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 03:37 PM

Currently, I think there are only the three cards available for the Mac Pro. No generic PC cards currently work in the Mac Pro as the BIOS/firmware is different and hasn't been really hacked yet. It's not a basic driver issue.

Hopefully, someone will more make cards compatible with the Mac Pro on a larger scale, but Mac people have been saying that pretty much forever so there are no guarantees.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

iMacfan
Senior User
Nov 21, 2006, 03:47 PM

I'm not so sure - I've heard that there's something called 'Titan' that lets you use some new-ish PC Nvidia cards. But I don't want to know, having bought an Apple x1900xt...

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Forum Links
Forum Rules