Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > buying a new couch, what a pain in the...

buying a new couch, what a pain in the...
macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 01:45 AM

okay I have been to every furniture store in town (nashville, tn) and no places sell any modern looking furniture. We have the most boring furniture stores here, well there is one local shop called 2 danes, but there sofas are 2k plus outta my range. So I found this one on overstock...

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....ROD_ID=1909904

I like the color and the look, but is buying a sofa on overstock a good idea? shipping is only 2.95 which is great, but what if it isn't comfortable, it's not like I can just send it back. I love modern stuff, but don't want to sacrifice comfort.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2007, 03:33 AM

I don't know, those first reviews don't make it sound that great. I'm happy with the Bulova watch I bought from Overstock, but I don't know about big ticket items.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
okay I have been to every furniture store in town (nashville, tn) and no places sell any modern looking furniture. We have the most boring furniture stores here, well there is one local shop called 2 danes, but there sofas are 2k plus outta my range. So I found this one on overstock...

Overstock.com: Donovan Pillowtop Sofa in Truffle : Furniture
What's so modern-looking about that sofa, though? I expected to see something unusual, but this looks like a pretty normal oversized sofa. The only thing that looks different are the metal feet.

I had a family member recently buy a few similar to these (minus metal feet) at Rooms To Go.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 07:05 AM

Overstock.com is located out here. I can see if I can go take a look or something... (though I doubt it, and then the couch might not actually be here.)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2007, 07:11 AM

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 4, 2007, 07:38 AM

Someone puked on that couch.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2007, 08:15 AM

Of course you'd take it in white, not Vimle green. I think KLIPPAN is a great couch. I don't know why IKEA USA's website defaults to that ugly cover.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Jan 4, 2007 at 08:33 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 4, 2007, 08:27 AM

Well I clicked it again and it was black.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 09:43 AM

It took my wife three months and she finally had a sofa built by Macy's. Nicest sofa I've ever owned.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 4, 2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Of course you'd take it in white, not Vimle green. I think KLIPPAN is a great couch. I don't know why IKEA USA's website defaults to that ugly cover.
Bachelor number one...

Honestly, I would never buy a couch without sitting on it first. We went couch shopping last year and had to look a long time to find one that suited our tastes and was comfortable to sit on. My in-laws also bought a couch recently, and while it looks nice, it's the most uncomfortable thing ever to sit on.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2007, 10:02 AM

Yes, buying a couch is a joy for the ages.

I can only imagine I'd furnish my living room with bean bags if I was forced to make such a decision with the help of a significant other.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 10:48 AM

didn't read the reviews til now, maybe i'll pass

I may go with this one

Sofa Express and more!

only one I have found locally that is comfortable and fits my taste, i'd prefer something more modern but no luck in town without spending 2k plus.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 01:22 PM

You mean in the USA you aren't bombarded with Sofa ads just after Xmas? Almost every ad on UK TV at the moment is for some Sofa store or other. With 'NEVER TO BE REPEATED' offers with 'UP TO 50% OFF' that 'MUST END SUNDAY/Monday/Nextweek/etc.', usually including a credit plan that will probably take longer to pay back than the sofa will last.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2007, 04:07 PM

Simmons, the bed people make great couches for lounging. Bought my sectional a year ago at Value City Furniture for 800.00 and it is a quality piece.
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 06:54 PM

Id get a nice leather one, something like this maybe?

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Product...Id=40525|43275

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 10:47 PM

I'm not big on leather, too cold in the winter.

I am going to look at this one tomorrow night, if i like it i'll buy it

Ashley Furniture: Showroom

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 10:57 PM

If you're looking at Ashley Furniture, then (if you have one in the area) check out a Weekends Only store. They are a closeout store that carries name brands like Ashley, but a good deal cheaper. I bought some Ashley brand bar stools/tables from there and saved about 30-40% on the exact same pieces from the Ashley Furniture store.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 11:40 PM

you know my mom was telling about that place but there isn't one here. she was at one in st louis i think, not long ago. that is a 5 hour ride. this sofa i am looking at is 395 not bad, but they screw you on the chair 345 + 199 for ottoman, then they rip you for $89 delivery, and 119 for fabrice protection, and sales tax where i'm at is 9.25%.

Do you like your ashley stuff? is it durable? comfortable?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 12:23 AM

They're barstools, so they're comfortable enough, but I wouldn't use that as anything to go on in regards to a sofa.

And I live near St. Louis, so maybe they're a local chain.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 01:02 AM

yeah i found their site looks they are local, oh well. Sounds like a great place hopefully they'll expand.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2007, 01:20 AM

If the couch is so uncomfortable that it actually causes a pain in your ..., then I wouldn't buy it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kikkoman
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 05:24 PM

You may want to checkout costco.com. They have a few mordern pieces. Prices include shipping. From the limited items I've seen at the warehouses, the quality is decent and you can't beat Costco's return policy. Here's a nice one...

Costco Riatta Fabric Sectional

I've been looking for a new sofa for about two years now so I understand how difficult it can be. We don't have a lot of modern furniture stores in Indianapolis either. I have to drive to Chicago or go window shopping while visiting my sister in NYC. We recently got a Crate & Barrel but the selection is still small.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 06:23 PM

Funny, I was just going to mention Ashley. We bought a very similar couch there and are very happy with it. Quite durable (after 2.5 years anyway).

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2007, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
You may want to checkout costco.com. They have a few mordern pieces. Prices include shipping. From the limited items I've seen at the warehouses, the quality is decent and you can't beat Costco's return policy. Here's a nice one...

Costco Riatta Fabric Sectional

I've been looking for a new sofa for about two years now so I understand how difficult it can be. We don't have a lot of modern furniture stores in Indianapolis either. I have to drive to Chicago or go window shopping while visiting my sister in NYC. We recently got a Crate & Barrel but the selection is still small.
love the sectional won't fit in my townhouse though, ended up buying one at ashley furniture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules