Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Apple Cinema HD Good for Gaming?

Apple Cinema HD Good for Gaming?
Tar_heel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2007, 03:38 PM

Hey, right now i got a 20" vizio, hdtv,hdmi, tv. I only use it to play my xbox 360, never to watch tv. And I've always been looking at the apple cinema displays. They look soooooo good lol : ). And I was just wondering, would it be a good idea to sell my 20" vizio, for a 23" cinema display hd? And just get the adaptor my xbox 360? I just can imagine playing halo 3 on that silver beast lol. So my main question is... could the moniter take the gaming? With smooth framerates and stuff? Thanks, peace : )
White Macbook | 2.0 Ghz | 1 Gig RAM
Xbox 360 | Halo 2 | GRAW 2 | Gears of War | PreO'd Halo 3 Limited

Tar_heel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2007, 03:39 PM

And also, sorry i forgot to add, I could hook my macbook up to it right? Have some bigscreen macbook'in going lol. peace

Tar_heel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2007, 03:52 PM

And also, I went on craigslist just now, and sent out alot of emails for trades and stuff lol, because I still havn't goten rid of my pc ever since i got my macbook . Sorry to keep posting but thoughts keep coming to me lol. peace : )

edge.it
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2007, 05:24 PM

dont buy the apple monitors, they are beautiful, but you could get this for cheeper, more expandibility, and oh yeah ITS THE SAME IDENTICAL LCD just a shittier case.

Home & Home Office: UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 05:43 PM

Apple cinema displays don't have very good response times (14ms) in comparison to a decent 22" monitor Amazon.co.uk: Samsung SM226BW 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor: Electronics & Photo: Samsung which has a response time of 2ms!!!

I would avoid apple displays unless you have money to burn or need the colour (yes its with a u) accuracy!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Tar_heel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2007, 06:55 PM

I was talking to someone on the apple store chat thingy, and they said that the response time is imediate? thats not possible is it? lol, maybe they just dont know what there talking about? But thanks for the help. peace : )

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2007, 09:04 PM

Yep, they have no idea what they're talking about
2ms is primo for modern LCDs. That being said, it's not the only thing to consider in terms of responsiveness.. you can have a killer refresh rate, but if the gray-to-gray response sucks, it's moot. Many expensive 4-8ms LCDs are more responsive and sharp in motion than cheap 2ms LCDs from what I've heard.
Do your research, look up professional reviews etc, and you'll be fine. Apple Cinema Displays are gorgeous, and great for professional work (very easy to look at for long periods, neutral borders etc), but highly overpriced for what they are. Plus you can say goodbye to all your inputs.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tar_heel View Post
I was talking to someone on the apple store chat thingy, and they said that the response time is imediate? thats not possible is it? lol, maybe they just dont know what there talking about? But thanks for the help. peace : )
ROFL that is BS. While the difference between a few mseconds is small (obviously) no monitor it immediate!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Tar_heel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 01:35 AM

Heres one I'm looking at now... kinda lol, just want something to really make halo3 look bueuitiful lol... Buy the Samsung 23" LCD HDTV (LNT-2354H) and other LCD & Plasma TVs at circuitcity.com thanks, maybe illl just keep what i got lol. peace : )

WhozeJohnGalt
Baninated
Aug 24, 2007, 02:22 PM

The big thing is there is only ONE input on any of apple's displays. If you can hook up your Xbox via some sort of DVI adaptor, go for it, but you'd have to unplug your computer each time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules