Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > firefox 3

firefox 3
bezoar1340
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2008, 09:39 AM

wasn't today supposed to be this mega download day for FireFox 3? No indication that it is ready for prime time.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 09:51 AM

Well, it is only 9:51am EST here...
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2008, 01:01 PM

I get the impression it's supposed to go live at 10pm PDT. I can't find a specific spot on their site that says this, but other posts have implied it. I've been checking regularly...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2008, 01:06 PM

My bad. It's 10am, not PM. And apparently the demand is so huge that the site is not responding...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 01:12 PM

Maybe they will get into the Guinness Book of World Records for the biggest self-inflicted DDOS

-t

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 01:12 PM

Great idea to have millions of people pledge to download at the same time.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Maybe they will get into the Guinness Book of World Records for the biggest self-inflicted DDOS
Yep, mozilla.com is completely hosed.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 01:24 PM

You can download it from MacUpdate.
Vandelay Industries

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
You can download it from MacUpdate.
Will it still count though ?

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Will it still count though ?
No. FTP downloads also don't count.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 02:35 PM

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2008, 05:09 PM

I simply cannot get through. I tried the Mozilla site and keep getting redirected to download V2.

What's up with that?

moep
Senior User
Jun 17, 2008, 05:11 PM

found a pretty awesome safari-theme for ff3:

preview: TwitPic - Share photos on twitter (front safari, back ff3)
download: GrApple - Aronnax`s Firefox Themes

the only thing that keeps me from switching now is that I'm so used to safari's scroll style/speed. yeah, i know.
oh, and squirrelfish which is coming up soon.

ps: don't ask me why mozilla announced this without having an official bittorrent tracker running. or they could have at least put the files on a cdn.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2008, 05:56 PM

I finally got a chance to go back online and just downloaded it. I wonder whether they'd considered something like "midnight in your time zone" as the first available time to download it, or that they actually thought "let's let the earlybirds overload us so that nothing works for hours!" Either way, it was a bit frustrating. I'll install it shortly. At least my download counted; I like being part of a world's record.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 17, 2008, 06:41 PM

I didn't have a problem downloading from the official Firefox site so they must not have been overloaded when I was downloading.

If you guys want to read more about what Firefox is doing for Mac OS X then go to this link Under-the-Hood Mac OS X Mozilla Firefox 3 Improvements Detailed - MozillaZine Talkback.

Cold Warrior
Jun 17, 2008, 08:04 PM

I also just got to the site after a longer day than usual at work. Downloaded fine, but I'm having issues getting some themes. They just don't download -- not from the site or from the Add Ons manager within the browser.

Oh well. It should be cleared up late tonight or in the next day or so.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 17, 2008, 08:11 PM

I am having issues with other sites' style pages. There's one where a row of buttons is now somehow not wide enough for the text that fit just fine under version 2... Other than that, install was smooth and it looks really good. Much more "Mac-like" (more like Camino and Safari).

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2008, 11:34 PM

I was hoping (irrationally) that the final wouldnt have this problem but it does. I cant run Firefox. It quits exactly fourteen seconds after it starts. Every damn time. I've uninstalled v2 every way possible from my C2D MPB and no luck. Then when I reinstalled v2 the saem thing happens. The only version I can even run now is BonEcho.

Needless to say I'm pretty f'in pissed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2008, 11:39 PM

CMYKid: does it do that from within another OS X account?

moep
Senior User
Jun 18, 2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
I was hoping (irrationally) that the final wouldnt have this problem but it does. I cant run Firefox. It quits exactly fourteen seconds after it starts. Every damn time. I've uninstalled v2 every way possible from my C2D MPB and no luck. Then when I reinstalled v2 the saem thing happens. The only version I can even run now is BonEcho.

Needless to say I'm pretty f'in pissed.
Try to delete the this folder:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/123xyz.default/

of course take a backup of the folder first if you want to retain your settings.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 08:13 AM

Its better, I hate that funny back button, scrolling speed feels funny.
Sticking with Safari 3.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 09:09 AM

I like it.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
CMYKid: does it do that from within another OS X account?
No! Sorry, forgot to include that. It works fine there, which would seem to point to a preferences or permission problem, eh? However, I've done permission repair already, in addition to trashing the below named files and a bunch of the other usual suspects. What annoys me most is that it's so predictable. It takes the exact same amount of time to crash EVERY time.

Though, today its moved on to a new error, crashing immediately on start with a EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) etc etc etc error.

I tried a couple of the nightlies, as well as the next runk release and all have the same problem. Meh.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 10:10 AM

It's not bad. All of my extensions that I used in 2.0 upgraded and work fine. Still, I mainly use Camino and Safari for my browsing.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
No! Sorry, forgot to include that. It works fine there, which would seem to point to a preferences or permission problem, eh? However, I've done permission repair already, in addition to trashing the below named files and a bunch of the other usual suspects. What annoys me most is that it's so predictable. It takes the exact same amount of time to crash EVERY time.

Though, today its moved on to a new error, crashing immediately on start with a EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS) etc etc etc error.

I tried a couple of the nightlies, as well as the next runk release and all have the same problem. Meh.

If the problem is not occurring in a different account, trying out newer versions of Firefox won't help, and repairing permissions probably won't help either. It's a matter of blowing away all of your old FF caches and user data and starting over.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2008, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I've done all that too. Still the same problem. What I meant by including the additional versions is that V2 wont run for me now either, only the Intel optimized BonEcho will.

So yeah, I've uninstalled every single version, both with uninstalling apps and by hand, deleting every single file with a trace of Firefox and the same problem, alternating with the EXC_BAD_ACCESS error. Its annoying.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 03:02 PM

Delete the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2008, 03:31 PM

CMYKid: what folders have you deleted?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 03:52 PM

I've already stopped using it--Activity Monitor showed it consistently using 60-70% processor. Camino on the same sites used hardly anything.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2008, 05:21 PM

I still use Firefox as my primary backup-browser, so I downloaded it. First I just got nothing as the self-inflicted DoS was in full force, then later things smoothed out and I managed to download the browser.

I have been running the betas for a while so I've even come to accept that funky back button and certain other quirks. It's still Firefox in look and feel, just with a new layer of make-up.

Safari 3 is not browser perfection, but it is good. So is Firefox, but it is less Mac-like, so as back-up browser it stays.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 05:42 PM

GrApple - Aronnax`s Firefox Themes -->Safari theme for FF.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
I've already stopped using it--Activity Monitor showed it consistently using 60-70% processor. Camino on the same sites used hardly anything.
I just looked, and FF3 is using under 20% while I'm typing this reply. Maybe something's screwy with your install? Just a thought.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2008, 07:39 PM

amazing: do you have any add-ons installed?

Meritocracy
Jun 18, 2008, 07:47 PM

Taking this for a test drive and I'm noticing all fonts in the location bar and tabs are using bold style text. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for the location bar, but for tabs I believe only the tab in use should be bold.

Cleared the support folder and using a new profile with no add-ons and I'm still seeing this. Thoughts?

What exactly is rotten in Denmark?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2008, 10:13 AM

I'm using Firefox 3 on my Linux machine at work (Nokia Linux, based on RHE 5, 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 #1 SMP), and so far it's a lot more stable than Firefox 2.0.0.14 was. I would get a couple of crashes a day before, and so far no issues here.

I really like the new bookmarks search capability. I really hate how the auto-complete works in the address bar (I can't read the light grey text below the title). It seems faster than FF2, but that may simply be that some of my Addons don't work with FF3. I had to switch from AdBlock to AdBlockPlus, which I'm not thrilled with.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 19, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meritocracy View Post
Taking this for a test drive and I'm noticing all fonts in the location bar and tabs are using bold style text. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for the location bar, but for tabs I believe only the tab in use should be bold.

Cleared the support folder and using a new profile with no add-ons and I'm still seeing this. Thoughts?

It's more that the default theme uses this style. Try using another theme and the issue isn't quite so dramatic. I never really liked the new default theme for FF 3 anyway.

Meritocracy
Jun 19, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
It's more that the default theme uses this style. Try using another theme and the issue isn't quite so dramatic. I never really liked the new default theme for FF 3 anyway.
I don't particularly care for the default look either, however, I was using the above image merely as an example. Unfortunately, I find the boldness on tabs even more pronounced (distracting) when using one of Aronnax's themes., which I find to be a pleasant mimic of Safari otherwise.
( Last edited by Meritocracy; Jun 19, 2008 at 01:41 PM. )

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 19, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Meritocracy View Post
Unfortunately, I find the boldness on tabs even more pronounced (distracting) when using one of Aronnax's themes., which I find to be a pleasant mimic of Safari otherwise.
Which OS are you using? I'm using 10.4.11. I wonder if that makes a difference because I just tried Aronnax's delicious blue theme and find that there really isn't any bold. It's about the same as Safari on my computer. The default theme does have some boldness to it in comparison as you have said. Could it also be that you are more aware of it now so it just sticks out in your mind more than usual?

I never really found the boldness you are talking about all that distracting in the first place. I just didn't like the new default theme so I tend not to use it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2008, 02:28 PM

The back button is weird, why has it to be that more relevant then other buttons?, anyway to choose small icons-buttons let you say bye-bye to such atrocity.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
The back button is weird, why has it to be that more relevant then other buttons?, anyway to choose small icons-buttons let you say bye-bye to such atrocity.
You can make the case that the back button should be more prominent because it is used far more than refresh or stop, I guess?

Meritocracy
Jun 19, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Which OS are you using? I'm using 10.4.11. I wonder if that makes a difference because I just tried Aronnax's delicious blue theme and find that there really isn't any bold. It's about the same as Safari on my computer. The default theme does have some boldness to it in comparison as you have said. Could it also be that you are more aware of it now so it just sticks out in your mind more than usual?
I'm running 10.5.3 (Yummy graphite theme). Could that be the difference? Who knows...it's possible I suppose. In any event, perhaps it's nothing more than acute awareness as you state, but the bold text on tabs sure does seem particularly pronounced to me. Nothing as subdued as Safari. :shrug:
( Last edited by Meritocracy; Jun 19, 2008 at 03:36 PM. )

Meritocracy
Jun 19, 2008, 03:17 PM

Dupe

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 04:28 PM

CMYKid: what folders have you deleted?
Pretty much everythign I've been able to find references to, but the following spring to mind at th emoment:
library>caches>Firefox
library>application support>firefox
library>preferences> whichever firefox item was in there (deleted, so I dont rememebr now)

tried creation of a new profile via terminal
tried runnign in safe mode

always the exact same prob, quits the exact same amount of time after launch every time, no matter what i'm in the middle of doing.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2008, 06:24 PM

Make sure you type about:mozilla in the address bar. There's a new passage from the Book of Mozilla (updated from the old Ff2 passage).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 01:33 PM

You can make the case that the back button should be more prominent because it is used far more than refresh or stop, I guess?
It's funny -- since tabbed browsing appeared on the scene, I never use the back button anymore, ever. I command-click all links so they open in new tabs. I find that I do this on my Linux machine at work too. If I do ever need to go back I command-left-arrow anyway. The back button is a waste of bar space for me these days.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2008, 01:37 PM

Arkham: for me too, for the most part, but I'm certain that there are tons of users who aren't as keyboard driven as us.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 09:19 PM

You're welcome to customize the toolbar and remove forward/back if you don't use them.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 10:28 PM

I discovered today that FF3 is horrendously broken when used with network home directories. FF2 had issues but for the most part worked with network home directories.
Vandelay Industries

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 10:38 PM

If the OSX version is anything like the pc version, I'll stay away. I loaded on my work pc and found that the CPU would be pegged at 100% utilization. The disk drive would be going crazy and the computer would bog down to such a point that it would be unusable.

I finally uninstalled the beast and reinstalled the prior version which is much faster and leaner. Maybe when 3.1 comes out things will be better but until then I'm not touching it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
If the OSX version is anything like the pc version, I'll stay away. I loaded on my work pc and found that the CPU would be pegged at 100% utilization. The disk drive would be going crazy and the computer would bog down to such a point that it would be unusable.

I finally uninstalled the beast and reinstalled the prior version which is much faster and leaner. Maybe when 3.1 comes out things will be better but until then I'm not touching it.
Sounds like there's something else wrong with your computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules