Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Samsung 172w and 10.2.8 troubles

Samsung 172w and 10.2.8 troubles
MartStaffs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 04:00 PM

First off this is my first post so be kind please ! . I've just got a Samsung Syncmaster 172 W as my old monitor died yesterday. The problem I've got is that in Mac OS X 10.2.8 the display prefs pane doesn't recognise the monitor's native resolution and comes up with 1028x768 as the largest resolution not 1280 x 768 and then I have to switch the monitor to "normal" mode. Now in 10.3.2 and OS 9 the monitor works at the correct resolutions. And yes I know it's a funny screen size but I bought the monitor in desperation as it was reduced and as I'm a student money's a bit tight. As for running a dual boot system that's because LightWave currently doesn't work in 10.3 and it is pretty important to have access to that as I'm studying animation . The only other things to say are that I'm running an original Radeon OEM card and that it's in a gigabyte G4. I'm not totally green when it comes to messing around with my system but I've hit a wall so to speak and I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions or idea's anyone has.

MacYourDay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2004, 05:08 AM

I'm using the 172W with a TiBook 1GHz, was using Jaguar (thru all the updates) and now Panther, and the native resolution is supported fine in both OS versions for me. Might be driver issue with the Radeon card, but just a guess

MartStaffs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2004, 05:56 AM

Ta for the response and info. To bo honest I did suspect the radeon might be the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules