Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Are you happy with your iBook?

Are you happy with your iBook?
outsidesales
Baninated
Dec 1, 2005, 09:37 PM

Have you ever bought a iBook for yourself?
Are you happy with it?

irus
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 10:29 PM

Yes and yes.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2005, 10:31 PM

Yes, I bought it almost a year and a half ago. It has done everything I expected it to do and just had an uptime of one full year before I restarted to install Tiger.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005, 02:57 AM

one full year? wow!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2005, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher
one full year? wow!
There were some close calls. I got a CD stuck but managed to get it out. Every time it seemed locked up I would ssh in from my desktop and kill whatever was holding it up. But I used it every day to record my classes and took it with me everywhere like to give a presenation in boston, or just home in chicago/jersey/NY.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

toffe
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 04:19 AM

yes

KarHallarn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 04:25 AM

I'm using my iBook for a year now and I'm still absolutely happy with it! I've got the 12" 1,2GHz Model, which was the first Model with integrated Airport! I've upgraded to 1,25GB of RAM and a 60GB Harddrive, as well as Bluetooth.

I knew that the iBook woud be much faster than the eMac I used before, but I was really astounished about how big the Difference was! I'm a Gamer, Photoshop-user and freetime-filmmaker and the iBook did not let me down on one of those Parts in this wonderfull year, I own it! With the installation of Tiger it became even faster!

The only game I was not able to play in good Quality eventhough, the requirements were in the range of my book, was KotoR!

ciao,

Karhallarn

Duracell
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 07:26 AM

Yes and yes

Hasn't under performed in anything I use it for as of yet
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005, 09:38 AM

Yes, and yes. No regrets! ;-)

patman600
Dec 2, 2005, 07:08 PM

Bought one a month or so ago. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to my 2X2GHz G5 with a gig of ram powerwise, but it is reasonable at what I need, mostly running safari, ichat, terminal, and xcode. It is an excellent mobile computer. It is small and light, with long battery life, great wireless reception, and gets a number of comments about how cute it is.

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2005, 10:02 PM

Yes. Yes. I'm using an old G3 iBook 900MHz. It's no speed demon, but is great for the things I need it for. When I have more demanding tasks, I head to my desk to use my tower.

jaydon34
Senior User
Dec 3, 2005, 12:29 AM

yea im happy with my ibook it replaced my windows box and i havent looked back
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2005, 01:49 AM

Yes, just got mine a week ago. Yes, I'm happy with it. It's fine for my needs: mainly web browsing, email, IM, iTunes, light web design/image editing and some light- to moderate-level audio production. I plan on upgrading the RAM and getting a FireWire HD, which should put me in a pretty solid position.

*UnEeK*
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 02:17 AM

Yes! No complaints so far, after 2 days.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2005, 02:36 AM

well.. my sister bought 2 iBooks so far.

1) iBook (Rev. A, 300Mhz) clamshell.. ended up a reddish screen otherwise no hardware problem.
2) iBook (G3/800, 32MB VRAM)... backlight went out couple months ago.

I seriously think she doesn't take good care of her stuff.

I bought the 12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz 3 months ago as a backup Mac. I upgraded it to 1GB of RAM. I don't have anything bad about it. Good battery life compares to my dad's Celeron M notebook. One thing missing.. may be a backlit keyboard.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 10:35 AM

I've owned one since the last upgrade. I'm very happy so. My 12" was everything I was looking for... compact, well built, EVERYTHING [wireless, bluetooth] included (except for a DVD burner) and under $1000. It runs a bit warm at times, but I can handle that.

I run Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark at times. It's not a lightening bolt, but I can do some rather impressive work. Considering the current grey line between PowerBook and iBook, I just couldn't see spending another 50% for something that didn't have a clear advantage. I realized the PB was a tiny bit faster, had a DVI port and supported screen spawning natively... but I just couldn't do it. I plan on having this system last long enough to upgrade to a 2nd or 3rd generation x86 iBook or PowerBook. I could be very interested in seeing what Apple has up their sleeves regarding wide screen iBooks.

volcano
Senior User
Dec 3, 2005, 07:23 PM

I'm happy with mine. I purchased it in early August, as a birthday present to myself. I just needed something portable for mainly typing up reports/essays/papers and the like for school. The wireless reception, like others have stated, is excellent. The battery life is superb. It's far more durable than a Powerbook, and that's something I needed with my active lifestyle. It may not be as fast as my 2Ghz iMac G5, but it does exactly what I need it to and it does it quite well.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 12:44 AM

Never been happier.. especially after adding 1GB RAM..

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 01:12 AM

Have had mine for 3 years. It’s a G3/500mhz machine, but runs surprisingly well – handles daily tasks (web browsing, word processing, etc.) with ease. It’s pretty slow with iPhoto, and it takes almost a minute to startup Fireworks MX, but now that I only use it for my Computer Science class, I don’t use those apps much anymore (that’s what this lovely G5 iMac is for ). It’s been trusty, except I got two faulty batteries.

I’ll probably be upgrading to a Rev. B Intel PowerBook when they come out.

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2005, 08:20 AM

Yes and Yes
2001 G3/500 model - FW port no longer works and I've lost a couple of feet and some screws. I may turn it into a dedicated MP3 player in the furture for the sitting room stereo.

I'd love a new one but the house needs fixing first....

Strix
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 08:28 AM

It's good to see that there are 500Mhz models still going strong.

I've the 2001 G3 500Mhz version, upgraded to 384MB RAM, and a 40GB HD. I also swapped over the original CD ROM drive to a Combo drive, and it now runs 10.3.9.

Am I happy with it? Yes; I can surf, listen to music, write reports/spreadsheets, etc without any problems.

The only area it really struggles is playing video, so that's on the shelf as far as I'm concerned until the G3 dies and I have to upgrade.....

Over the passed 4 years, it's been one heck of a fantastic machine

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 09:20 PM

No.

I wanted a PowerBook but this is all I could afford and I refuse to take out student loans.

But I will admit that my iBook is a good little machine. I get a lot done on it between papers in Word, data in Excel, and eventually I'll be using MatLab on it.

I still feel the pride when I sit down in the cafe and I know my **** actually works compared to those piece-o-crap Winblows laptops
( Last edited by irockdabari; Dec 9, 2005 at 04:54 AM. )
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

far200
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2005, 02:03 AM

yes I found my ibook a great little computer.... I wish I had the newer ibook with the 9550 video card..... other than that its been a good computer to use.......

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2005, 07:08 AM

I love my iBook 12", but it is a little under powered. Given what I do with it I should really be using a Powerbook. I desktop span and at any one time will be doing video editing on one screen and burning DVDs and writing papers on the other. The poor little thing gets a bit sluggish but it has only crashed once or twice. It rarely ever gets turned off or even put to sleep. When I'm in bed its working away either downloading my crap or encoding my video work.

It is perfect as a portable though so I'll probably save up for a 20" iMac G5 or low end Powermac, and keep the iBook for a few more years as my run about
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2005, 11:00 AM

I've had three so far since the iBook got the makeover back in 2001.

I had the original 500mhz dual USB model - worked great, ended up trading it for a car
Second iboook was the 600mhz model
And now I'm on this 1.2ghz model (specs in sig).

loved them all, they've had their growing pains and gotten better with each revision. All in all a great machine to work with.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 08:14 PM

HDD failed after about 16 months of very moderate use. Apple out of warranty cost/policy an absolute outrage. Luckily I had an extended warranty through my credit card, and got a WAAAYYY better deal at non-Apple repair shop.

Then the screen developed white spots. No recall on iBook. Genious says it's not caused by the same thing as on recalled Powerbook screens, and that there are supposedly fewer occurrances = I'm out of luck.

So, to avoid paying half the price of a new machine within 2 years for manufacturing defects, you have to pay a premium upfront. Well, that's not insurance, it's an overcharge. Here's where the lack of competitive hardware hits home. Way to NOT overcome this justifiable concern of potential switchers.

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 08:14 PM

HDD failed after about 16 months of very moderate use. Apple out of warranty cost/policy an absolute outrage. Luckily I had an extended warranty through my credit card, and got a WAAAYYY better deal at non-Apple repair shop.

Then the screen developed white spots. No recall on iBook. Genious says it's not caused by the same thing as on recalled Powerbook screens, and that there are supposedly fewer occurrances = I'm out of luck.

So, to avoid paying half the price of a new machine within 2 years for manufacturing defects, you have to pay a premium upfront. Well, that's not insurance, it's an overcharge. Here's where the lack of competitive hardware hits home. Way to NOT overcome this justifiable concern of potential switchers.

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 08:15 PM

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 08:15 PM

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 08:19 PM

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by rickrobin

The AppleCare isn't meant to be insurance. Instead, it's a protection plan for hardware and support. If you would have paid the $249 ($183 edu) for the AppleCare, it would have covered both the hard disk and the display.

I'm not trying to pick on you. I'm just saying that 99% of the time an out-of-warranty repair is more than the cost of AppleCare. So it makes sense to get it if you plan on keeping the machine longer than a year.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2005, 11:25 PM

So, to avoid paying half the price of a new machine within 2 years for manufacturing defects, you have to pay a premium upfront. Well, that's not insurance, it's an overcharge.
Actually that's called an extended warranty and how most companies and industries work. Some companies don't even offer extended warranties; you either live with the standard warranty, or find a third party who is willing to provide an extended warranty.

GraphicUmp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 11:45 PM

I've got a 12" 1.2 GHz model. And I love it. No problems whatsoever - I bought it as a refurb. And it came with a surprise upgraded hard drive - to 60 GB. I upgraded the RAM to 768 MB.

I'm very happy with it. I've owned various Macs and PowerBooks since 1991 and never been unhappy with any of them, but I love this one. And it gets looks and comments everywhere I go.

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
The AppleCare isn't meant to be insurance. Instead, it's a protection plan for hardware and support. If you would have paid the $249 ($183 edu) for the AppleCare, it would have covered both the hard disk and the display.

I'm not trying to pick on you. I'm just saying that 99% of the time an out-of-warranty repair is more than the cost of AppleCare. So it makes sense to get it if you plan on keeping the machine longer than a year.

Sure, 99% of the time APPLE's charge for out of warranty repair is more than AppleCare - whaddayaknow!

My credit card would have covered both repairs - for NOTHING. I spaced the dates and didn't get to the screen in time. But the HD - Apple would have taken at least a week, not permitted me the choice not to get the same brand that failed unconscionably, replaced it with the same 40 gig, 4200rpm spec, and refused to return the original drive to me. Instead, with the credit card warranty extension, I got a 5400 rpm, 100 gig Seagate - with a 5 YEAR WARRANTY - Apple screws you out of the OEM warranties - AND got my original drive back - OVERNIGHT. ABSOLUTELY FREE. Getting the picture?

All you do when you go for AppleCare is hand them hundreds of dollars extra for the computer, and encourage them to keep charging you for what should not cost any more - like support; their standard support window is an outrage, and useless most of the time anyway. As for the third year, the credit cards offer YEARS more for considerably less money.

I'm a major Apple partisan, believe me, but I hate the way they're taking more and more advantage of their loyal base. (Tiger was a public beta-test that would have done Microsoft proud.) But then people today seem inured to bending over. Or maybe they like the way it feels.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2005, 12:59 AM

All you do when you go for AppleCare is hand them hundreds of dollars extra for the computer, and encourage them to keep charging you for what should not cost any more - like support; their standard support window is an outrage, and useless most of the time anyway. As for the third year, the credit cards offer YEARS more for considerably less money.
When they take your $300 for AppleCare they're making a bet that they'll never see that computer again. Depending on what fails, they're in the red after 1 or 2 warranty repairs.
I agree that the 90-day phone support is silly; if they warranty the computer for a year, it should be free to call them within that year.

one sick puppy
Dec 7, 2005, 04:18 PM

The lower warranties are indicative of where the computer industry is going. Like many other technologies (toasters, VCRs, TVs, etc.), computers are turning into appliances. The costs to repair do not decrease at the same rate, if at all, as the costs of production. As such, its not feasable to fix something that isn't worth more than x amount. Also consider the depreciation rate of computers, which only adds to the argument.

I'm getting used to the limited warranty. Just buy items and assume they won't last longer than their warranty. If they do, consider yourself fortunate, if not, no big deal.

Alternatively, sell your laptop on Ebay before the 1 year warranty expires and buy a new one. Repeat this every 9-11 months and keep up with the jones while not going broke.

wardseward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 06:18 PM

I love my ibook. I wish it didn't get so hot, but I can deal with that.

dreemdazer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 03:10 AM

I've been pretty happy with my iBook. I have the latest 12" 1.33 ghz model. It does everything pretty well and has a nice form factor that makes it easy to carry around, stuff into bags, etc. The only complaint I have is the trackpad; I'm constantly accidentally brushing it while typing or surfing the net which results in bizarre browser behavior and numerous mistakes in my editing and email. I try to be conscious of my hand placement but I think the trackpad is just too big and placed too close to the space bar. It would also help if it were more recessed. The trackpad also behaves oddly when I set it for tap-clicking or tap-dragging. Half the time it responds when I don't mean it too and the other half of the time it won't respond when I want it to. Besides that gripe I really like it. I would like to get a more powerful system in the future that can handle games like the Sims 2, but it runs most games pretty well.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2005, 03:12 AM

Instead, with the credit card warranty extension, I got a 5400 rpm, 100 gig Seagate - with a 5 YEAR WARRANTY - Apple screws you out of the OEM warranties - AND got my original drive back - OVERNIGHT. ABSOLUTELY FREE.
Hmm, my credit card also doubles the manufacturer's warranty. So, how did it work when you wanted to get your Mac fixed? Did you call Apple and tell them about the credit card policy, or go through the credit card company, or what? I may just rely on the credit card extension instead of buying AppleCare.

OTOH, AppleCare also gets you very friendly and helpful telephone service from Apple, and they'll help with peripheral stuff like why your cable modem and your Mac don't play well together. I've called AppleCare three or four times in the past 6 or so years on my previous Macs, and I have to say the service has been prompt and helpful. But I do think it's overpriced; if they're going to keep charging that much, I think Apple should throw in a free upgrade to the next major OSX release, or two years of .Mac, or something else to make it worthwhile.

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by brettcamp
Hmm, my credit card also doubles the manufacturer's warranty. So, how did it work when you wanted to get your Mac fixed? Did you call Apple and tell them about the credit card policy, or go through the credit card company, or what? I may just rely on the credit card extension instead of buying AppleCare.

OTOH, AppleCare also gets you very friendly and helpful telephone service from Apple, and they'll help with peripheral stuff like why your cable modem and your Mac don't play well together. I've called AppleCare three or four times in the past 6 or so years on my previous Macs, and I have to say the service has been prompt and helpful. But I do think it's overpriced; if they're going to keep charging that much, I think Apple should throw in a free upgrade to the next major OSX release, or two years of .Mac, or something else to make it worthwhile.
I called the warranty service dept of the credit card. They told me to get an estimate from ANY repair shop. Apple was my first choice, naturally, but I was outraged at their whole deal, as explained before. Figuring that their price would be accepted as the market standard, I shopped around and found I could get far more for that price elsewhere. So I got the indie repair service to give me an estimate at the same price as Apple's, forwarded it to Visa, and Visa OK'd the repair. They will either pay the shop directly, or reimburse you. I was reimbursed for the total amount within a week of the finished repair - $300 and change, at NO COST TO ME WHATSOEVER! If I didn't space the expiration date, I could have gotten my screen fixed too - and saved another $300 or so. They also offer an extension of the warranty service - 2 or 3 years for something like $190, if memory serves. (And this is on everything you buy with the card, don't forget!!!)

Yet people will fall into line and encourage Apple's (or, for that matter, the oil companys', or the Bush administration's, etc, etc) greedy, dictatorial policies, when an alternative like this is available. Hell, Apple was once THE alternative to just this kind of **** from Microsoft; well look whose turn it is to be the arrogant monopoly now!

As for the comment someone made about Apple's "gamble" that their repair costs wouldn't exceed the AppleCare premium: I got a call from Apple about 10 months after I bought my iBook G4, in which their rep, pretending at first to be doing a customer satisfaction survey, tried to sell me AppleCare with such a hard-sell that I had to yell at him to get rid of him without just hanging up. Yes, Virginia, they do make out like bandits on this ****. And no, Dorothy (sigh), we're not in Kansas anymore. (Wait a minute - yes we are!)

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 12:31 PM

I called the warranty service dept of the credit card. They told me to get an estimate from ANY repair shop. Apple was my first choice, naturally, but I was outraged at their whole deal, as explained before. Figuring that their price would be accepted as the market standard, I shopped around and found I could get far more for that price elsewhere. So I got the indie repair service to give me an estimate at the same price as Apple's, forwarded it to Visa, and Visa OK'd the repair. They will either pay the shop directly, or reimburse you. I was reimbursed for the total amount within a week of the finished repair - $300 and change, at NO COST TO ME WHATSOEVER! If I didn't space the expiration date, I could have gotten my screen fixed too - and saved another $300 or so. They also offer an extension of the warranty service - 2 or 3 years for something like $190, if memory serves. (And this is on everything you buy with the card, don't forget!!!)

Yet people will fall into line and encourage Apple's (or, for that matter, the oil companys', or the Bush administration's, etc, etc) greedy, dictatorial policies, when an alternative like this is available. Hell, Apple was once THE alternative to just this kind of **** from Microsoft; well look whose turn it is to be the arrogant monopoly now!

As for the comment someone made about Apple's "gamble" that their repair costs wouldn't exceed the AppleCare premium: I got a call from Apple about 10 months after I bought my iBook G4, in which their rep, pretending at first to be doing a customer satisfaction survey, tried to sell me AppleCare with such a hard-sell that I had to yell at him to get rid of him without just hanging up. Yes, Virginia, they do make out like bandits on this ****. And no, Dorothy (sigh), we're not in Kansas anymore. (Wait a minute - yes we are!)
Ah ha ha! Did you see the ****? Welcome to your politically correct modern-age nightmare! Kansas, indeed! You have to take it in the *** but you can't say ***. It's OK with the New Yorker, but not on a *** **** computer-site forum! Oh my ***! George Carlin, help me now!!!

donparr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by outsidesales
Have you ever bought a iBook for yourself?
Are you happy with it?
Yes, on September 4th this year. Yes, I have been totally pleased with it ! I also have a Windows XP Pro desktop PC I rarely even turn on anymore . Since this was my first Apple and laptop / notebook computer, I did purchase Applecare for the peace of mind .

iBook G4, 14", OSX "Tiger" 10.4.3

radarbob
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by chefpastry
Yes. Yes. I'm using an old G3 iBook 900MHz. It's no speed demon, but is great for the things I need it for. When I have more demanding tasks, I head to my desk to use my tower.
"Old"? I'm typing this on an original Blueberry iBook - 300 blazing MHz.

Just yesterday I bought a used 900MHz iBook, believe it our not.

I've always been impressed with the subtle, thoughtful engineering in the original iBook. The "color coded" light ring to indicate charging, the pulsing sleep light, the lighted apple logo (on the top of the case) when the screen is on, the click-button design, curving down the edge of the case - very comfortable to use, breakthru pricing on wireless cards, excellent battery life. The handle! The original iBook was revolutionary, and a sensation. Macintosh is designed and engineered, PCs are simply "manufactured" in comparison.

I appreciate that to a degree my Precious has been able to keep going over the years. Upgraded from OS 8.6, to 9.2, to OS 10.3, upgraded the drive from 3GB (no, I didn't forget a zero) to 40GB, and memory from 32MB to 544MB. All that and many of my older programs still work. Quicken 98, Office 2000, and WriteNow - a word processor originaly running on OS 7! In general Macintosh has always had a longer useful life than PCs.
bb iBook 300MHz / OS 9.2.2 / OS 10.2.2 / 544MB / 40GB
iceBook 700MHz / OS 10.2.2 / 368MB / 20GB

radarbob
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2005, 11:26 PM

The only complaint I have is the trackpad; I'm constantly accidentally brushing it while typing or surfing the net which results in bizarre browser behavior and numerous mistakes in my editing and email.
In system preferences, "Keyboard & Mouse", "Trackpad" tab, note the checkboxes for clicking and draging. Uncheck them. You could also see how "Ignore accidental trackpad input" works by checking that.
bb iBook 300MHz / OS 9.2.2 / OS 10.2.2 / 544MB / 40GB
iceBook 700MHz / OS 10.2.2 / 368MB / 20GB

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2005, 05:53 AM

I called the warranty service dept of the credit card. They told me to get an estimate from ANY repair shop. Apple was my first choice, naturally, but I was outraged at their whole deal, as explained before. Figuring that their price would be accepted as the market standard, I shopped around and found I could get far more for that price elsewhere. So I got the indie repair service to give me an estimate at the same price as Apple's, forwarded it to Visa, and Visa OK'd the repair. They will either pay the shop directly, or reimburse you. I was reimbursed for the total amount within a week of the finished repair - $300 and change, at NO COST TO ME WHATSOEVER!
Thank you for explaining how the credit card warranty extension reimbursement procedure works. Now, I just have to hope I never have to use it!

We all love Apple here, but it's a business, and we also need to be smart consumers and encourage the company to lower its applecare prices by telling them that we're going to use the competition (i.e. credit card warranty) when they ask us to sign up for AppleCare. And remember: the credit card companies are also businesses, and they're not extending these warranties out of kindness. One way or another, we're paying for the service so we might as well use it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules