Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Backlight uneveness - where to draw the line?

Backlight uneveness - where to draw the line?
gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2006, 09:46 PM

I have one of the new coreduo 20" imacs. As with most lcds the backlight is slightly uneven causing white spots. This is particularly annoying in the lower left of the display but is also noticeable on the lower right. Watching dvds it is particularly obvious. I'm used to some unevenness on my ibook but this bothers me a bit more. I'm wondering if every machine is just like this or if its worth trying to get it replaced. Don't get me wrong, the screen is lovely otherwise which is why this imperfection seems odd, the top of the display is ner perfect.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

S_Young
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2006, 05:34 AM

Sorry to hear that, mate. I had two 20" iMac Core Duos with the same problem, and I sent them both back for a refund. It's a shame, because otherwise the iMac is a near-flawless machine.

I'm now considering getting a Mac Mini Core Duo, or holding out for the Intel Mac Pro. The iMac would have been ideal for my needs, but the "backlight uneveness" problem drove me up the wall!

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 09:20 AM

It annoys me how poor the manufacturing process of LCDs monitors has become. Now that dead pixels are finally few and far between, we have even worse problems such as with the backlight. It should simply not be necessary to have to go through 2 or 3 displays until you get one you're satisfied with.

Apple's screens vary from one to the other, some being better than others. It's unlikely you'll get one that is 'perfect', but perhaps if you exchange the iMac you might get one you can live with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules