Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I've bought the cheapest Porsche in production

I've bought the cheapest Porsche in production
Sealobo
Feb 28, 2006, 05:43 AM

It's a manual 987 in basalt black with natural leather interior, also in black.

Delivery in June/July. I am bumped.

badidea
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 06:09 AM

Real men do not buy a Boxster!

(have fun with it)
( Last edited by badidea; Feb 28, 2006 at 07:27 AM. )

Dr.Michael
Feb 28, 2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by badidea
Real men do not buy a Boxter!

(have fun with it)
Bullsh...t.
The boxster is one of the most esthetically designed convertibles I have ever seen.

You are just envious that you cannot drive a convertible up there in HH because the rain would permanently flood your car .

Have a lot of fun with it .
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Feb 28, 2006 at 09:31 AM. )

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 28, 2006, 07:03 AM

guys... it's "Boxster"!

BOXer engine + roadSTER

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 07:06 AM

This thread is worthless without pixsters.

Post some of the chicks you are going to impress with your new car.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 07:07 AM

I spent the night in a 944 and woke up with a black rubber stripe on my forehead from the dashboard melting in the morning sun. Hope the interiors have improved since then.

Im sure I will see you driving about when I get to HK in April.

badidea
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
You are just envious that you cannot drive a convertible up there in HH because the rain would permanently flood your car .
Yes, Sir - I am not!

I'd rather get a Peugeout 404 for the rainy days...

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2006, 08:34 AM

big wheels and a good rollbar with harness belts is a good way to make a Boxster a tough car.
ice

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 08:37 AM

Aren't Boxster's bought by people who can't afford a 911?

(runs away)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 28, 2006, 09:31 AM

yeah, i can't really "afford" a 911, but i am still young, so it's ok. ;-)

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 10:17 AM

niiiiice. Can I drive it some time?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 10:56 AM

The 2.7 or the 3.2 ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Aren't Boxster's bought by people who can't afford a 911?
No. As my old man put it, "I can break any California speed limit in second gear." That's with the Boxster. It doesn't make sense to buy a 911. Of course, after all the options he put on it, it cost as much as a base 911.

His wife got one, too after her Jaguar fell apart (yeah, they still suck.)

Yes, my dad's rich. No, I don't see any money. If I did, I wouldn't be using a 7-year-old computer and driving a 94 Toyota.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2006, 01:41 PM

PIctures please. =)

OreoCookie
Feb 28, 2006, 01:52 PM

Niiiice! Although a Cayman is tempting, too. Unfortunately, it'll be several years until I can even think of buying a plain-vanilla car

<edit>On a funny note, I found out that I earn as much as a professor in Italy during his first year </edit>
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jebjeb
Senior User
Feb 28, 2006, 06:34 PM

Nice one ,Sealobo!

As asked by Goldfinger, is it the Boxster or Boxster S? Both fantastic anyway.

What options did you go for?

Sealobo  (op)
Feb 28, 2006, 09:04 PM

i got the base Boxster 2.7 and i threw in quite a list of options; i got Cayman S' wheels because the standard 17" wheel looks pretty cheap. I got the sport steering wheel, the same one you can find in the Carrera S where the airbag cushion is round instead of trianglar. I got the entire interior in black natural leather, replacing the standard plastic and "leather" alike. I got some additional aluminum here and there, such as the door handle and the shift lever. And i got this great no-charge option: replacing the standard seat with sports leather seat, where i forgo the electronic adjustment function (back/forth/up/down with back tilting still electronic) and memory in return for much better look and lateral support.

Many things come in standard here in Hong Kong, such as the bi-xenon, headlamp cleaning system, parking distance control etc.

O yeah and i got this speed yellow instrument dials with leather around the instrument cluster. This is insane.

edit : spelling
( Last edited by Sealobo; Mar 1, 2006 at 03:08 AM. )

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 09:44 PM

Congrats! Though I swear, I'll never own another car with a black interior ever again, especially not one with a lot of window area.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo
i got the base Boxster 2.7 and i thought in quite a list of options; i got Cayman S' wheels because the standard 17" wheel looks pretty cheap. I got the sport steering wheel, the same one you can find in the Carrera S where the airbag cushion is round instead of trianglar. I got the entire interior in black natural leather, replacing the standard plastic and "leather" alike. I got some additional aluminum here and there, such as the door handle and the shift lever. And i got this great no-charge option: replacing the standard seat with sports leather seat, where i forgo the electronic adjustment function (back/forth/up/down with back tilting still electronic) and memory in return for much better look and lateral support.

Many things come in standard here in Hong Kong, such as the bi-xenon, headlamp cleaning system, parking distance control etc.

O yeah and i got this speed yellow instrument dials with leather around the instrument cluster. This is insane.

nice option set, love the dials with the leather!

are these the wheels?
ice

Sealobo  (op)
Mar 1, 2006, 02:49 AM

yup... those are the wheels!

Sealobo  (op)
Mar 1, 2006, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Congrats! Though I swear, I'll never own another car with a black interior ever again, especially not one with a lot of window area.
why?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 03:53 AM

[removed oversize image --tooki]
yesterday's poor man's porsche. the car you ordered looks pretty good though. i'm sure you will enjoy it, porsches are very reliable (but a bit boring to drive, it relies so heavely on electronics, you hear beeps all around you )
( Last edited by tooki; Jun 21, 2006 at 05:38 PM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2006, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K
-img-snip-

yesterday's poor man's porsche. the car you ordered looks pretty good though. i'm sure you will enjoy it, porsches are very reliable (but a bit boring to drive)
who are you, The Stig?

Boxster is not akin to a 924/944/928 in any form

boring to drive? a Boxster? a 911? a freakin' 911 TT??
ice

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 06:36 AM

i drove a carrera, it's so safe, its almost no fun anymore. when i steer into a corner, suddenly oversteer, beep, electronics kick in. when i kickdown, beep, electronics kick in.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Sealobo  (op)
Mar 1, 2006, 06:39 AM

well... you could have those electronics switched off... no?

i suspect most of those who can afford a 911 might not be very good at driving... let alone to handle 300+ horses. These annoying tech could be saving lives out there on a daily basis.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 08:28 AM

why?
Depends on where you live, I guess. I live in Florida - black leather (or vinyl) + windows = insanely hot seats. So hot that you can't actually let the back of your thighs touch it. Remember that guy that burned his wang using his PowerBook in his boxer shorts? That's how hot your seats will get down here. What's really cool is that after a few years, a cheap steering wheel will start to melt and get all sticky and soft.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 02:31 PM

i got the base Boxster 2.7 and i threw in quite a list of options; i got Cayman S' wheels because the standard 17" wheel looks pretty cheap.
My dad did the exact same thing. It was like seeing a spare tire on a raised pickup.

But did you get the leather trim fuse box? Hehe, some of those options are just silly. But I guess if you have the money...
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
No. As my old man put it, "I can break any California speed limit in second gear." That's with the Boxster. It doesn't make sense to buy a 911.
Dude, a 1.6 Ford Focus will do 75 in second.
So on those grounds, what's the point in buying a Boxster?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 02:52 PM

well... you could have those electronics switched off... no?
Not really. PSM has this annoying habbit to constantly turn itself on after you turned it off.

If I were to buy a Porsche it would definitely be the Cayman. Best Porsche ever IMHO. I would do a custom order and ask to put in an LSD though.

The 911 has become a poser car. They aren't cool anymore. I like the boxster more because it's, smaller, light, etc and well...it's cheaper.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 03:00 PM

[removed WAY oversize image --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Jun 21, 2006 at 05:38 PM. )
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2006, 05:13 PM

My friend's dad has a 930 Turbo, 4-speed manual. It's got a 3.6L and exhaust, nice wide wheels and it's just pretty ridiculous. A handful, but a lot of fun!

I've driven plenty of 3000lb 300++RWHP cars in my time, so my fun may be someone elses nightmare! (I know Porshes have very different handling characteristics than front-engine rides, but being able to keep the power in check in any car is vital. Basically, pay attention.

Annoying electronic handling aids are perfect for the wealthy non-drivin' SOB.

*Driver mod is always the most important modification one can apply to any vehicle.
ice

jebjeb
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
*Driver mod is always the most important modification one can apply to any vehicle.
So true!

That is one of the things that annoys me about the C32. Even when you "turn off" the ESP/Traction control, it is never fully off and will reengage when it thinks you have fully overstepped the limit. Actually, to be honest, it has a decent limit and for most of the time when I really want to drive the pants off it, it allows me a decent amount of drift. However, it would be great to have a three stage system, like many Beemers, with On, Semi off (like the "off" mode is now) and fully off. Would probably still only use the fully off mode 1-5% of the time but it would be nice to have full control over MY car.

Also, by the sounds of people here, too many of you listen to Jeremy Clarkson. Great entertainer, ridiculously crap car reviewer. Top Gear is only good for watching guys mucking about in cars. if you want a realistic review, read something like Evo. The 911 and Boxster are still fantastic cars and have are still relatively light compared to their competitors. It is nice to see a manufacturer more concerned with the whole package rather than just shoving in heaps of power to counter act the increased weight of most cars this date (read BMW and yes, Mercedes).

Sealobo  (op)
Mar 1, 2006, 08:42 PM

But did you get the leather trim fuse box? Hehe, some of those options are just silly. But I guess if you have the money...
yeah i noticed that when i went throught the list. nah... that thing is just as good as the leather rear view mirror... where you don't really see the leather.

Sealobo  (op)
Mar 1, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger

If I were to buy a Porsche it would definitely be the Cayman. Best Porsche ever IMHO. I would do a custom order and ask to put in an LSD though.

The 911 has become a poser car. They aren't cool anymore. I like the boxster more because it's, smaller, light, etc and well...it's cheaper.
Here's how i put it:

911: an icon. don't like the RR arrangement but in terms of look and feel, it's the best. Heritage is a big plus.

Cayman: Great car, make so much more sense over the 911 just by the location of the engine. however it looks too muscular from the back and the lines and shades are a bit too much. For me simplicity is beauty, and 911 has it over the Cayman.

Boxster: Obviously a cheap Porsche (i still remember when the 986 first came out, people were saying Porsche had just downgraded itself by making a half-assed 911), but better value than the Carrera any day of the week. For like 60% of the $ you're almost just as happy. Not as tense as the Cayman, and honestly i think the Boxster looks better.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 09:28 PM

I wish you all the best with your new car. The most important thing is that you like and enjoy the car.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 10:59 PM

Drive it like you stole it!

Drives me nuts to see people buy fun cars and not use them because they are too precious. Nice car byt the way. Enjoy it.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 11:30 PM

Excellent - I shall watch for you speeding down Garden Road on your way into IFC2 Carpark

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 11:48 PM

Congrats!

Those things are great little cars and a blast to drive. I took one for a test drive when I was looking for a car, and it was a load of fun. (It probably would have been a better experience had the salesman not come along for the test drive...)

The lack of a backseat kinda threw it out of contention for me.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 05:36 PM

Have you got it already?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 05:49 PM

ugh, nm
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 05:54 PM

This Boxster is cheaper...

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 06:51 PM

Dude and i was excited about the pair of roller blades I bought recently...

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2006, 07:00 PM

Last month I got a bike and I still AM excited
I couldn't even imagine being able to afford such a car and with my current career choice, chances are good, I never will … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
ZOMG!!!

ROLLERBLADES!! Are we entering a 90s revival or something? What's next pink lycra and hypercolour t-shirts

ZOINKS!

MacSpeakers
Banned
Jun 21, 2006, 09:53 PM

The Boxster was designed by a graduate of the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design.

MacSpeakers
Banned
Jun 21, 2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Dude, a 1.6 Ford Focus will do 75 in second.
So on those grounds, what's the point in buying a Boxster?
You get there a lot quicker.

Boxsters are okay, but I'd rather spend the money on a few sweet used cars and a vacation.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 22, 2006, 06:25 AM

Yes, my dad's rich. No, I don't see any money.
Welcome to the club.

Well my dad would give me money if I needed it.
Originally Posted by Spook E
ZOMG!!!

ROLLERBLADES!! Are we entering a 90s revival or something? What's next pink lycra and hypercolour t-shirts

ZOINKS!
I still have a rain washed hypercolor Jane's Addiction Tshirt from 1990.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Salty

Your friend was excited about your roller blades, so you can go blading with him?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2006, 07:30 AM

Boxster is a ladys car
we don't have time to stop for gas

MacSpeakers
Banned
Jun 22, 2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Peter
Boxster is a ladys car
So's the 911. I see 911s all the time driven by women. I think I actually see more young dudes in boxsters than I do in 911s. And more women in 911s than in boxsters. It's weird that way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules