Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1.8 million PowerPC laptop batteries recalled

1.8 million PowerPC laptop batteries recalled
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 24, 2006, 01:49 PM

1.1 million batteries recalled in the US of A and 0.7 million elsewhere.

iBook G4 and PowerBook G4

https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/index.html

Identifying your battery
The recalled batteries include those with model numbers A1061, A1078, and A1079 and serial numbers that begin with HQ441 through HQ507 and 3X446 through 3X510. To view the model and serial numbers labeled on the bottom of the battery, you must remove the battery from the computer. The battery serial number is printed in black or dark grey lettering beneath a barcode. See photos below. Please use the chart below to identify the battery model and serial numbers that apply to your iBook or PowerBook.

Computer model Battery
model number Battery serial
number range
12-inch iBook G4 A1061 HQ441 – HQ507
12-inch PowerBook G4 A1079 3X446 – 3X510
15-inch PowerBook G4 A1078 3X446 – 3X509

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2006, 01:50 PM

My iBook is part of the recall.

Oh well, I get a new battery out of the deal

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 01:57 PM

I'm sure I did this exact same recall on my iBook. Do you know of any originally replaced batterys being recalled? If so, the guy who bought my iBook can have a nice new one.

monkeybutler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 03:11 PM

The scariest thing about these battery recalls is the sheer number. 4.1 from dell, 1.8 from Apple and the unmentioned number that Sony will refuse to take responsibility for. Of course not every battery will explode, but its a scary thought to have one go off in a plane. Not only is it terrifying to see fire while in flight, but if that ever happens then it gives more reason to pull laptops and ipods off flights.

sammjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 04:30 PM

It seems like there's been alot of confusion as to which batteries are being recalled. The link posted by the op goes to a page which recalls LG batteries, when the current recall is for Sony batteries.

try this link https://support.apple.com/ibook_powe...tteryexchange/

It seems like the website has been swamped, so if the apple site doesn't load, try this (you obviously can't order the battery from this site, but you can find out if you're affected by the recall)

Apple Recall of Batteries Used in Previous iBook and PowerBook Computers Due To Fire Hazard

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 05:41 PM

I'm stoked. My 12 month old iBook qualifies for the recall !! For nearly 1 yr my battery stayed really close to full charging capacity of 4400mah. In just the last few weeks is capacity has dropped off substantially and now holds something less than 3900. I'll be happy for the upgrade. Also, I'm missing one rubber foot, hopefully I'll be able to pick up a spare from this ... anybody know the best way reinstall an iBook foot ?

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 05:47 PM

Just missed it - my iBook's battery SN starts with 6C517, and according to the Apple doc the recall starts at 6C519.

Interesting that one of the support docs (https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/index.html) only lists iBook batteries with HQ serials, while another (https://support.apple.com/ibook_powe...tteryexchange/) lists ZZ, 3K, and 6C serials.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 05:55 PM

I'm hoping the 2nd one is right. Mine is as 3k series battery.

edit: I think the 2nd one is it -- the first appears to be the 2005 recall

sammjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty
I'm hoping the 2nd one is right. Mine is as 3k series battery.
I'm 99.9% sure it's the second one, b/c as I stated before the current recall is on sony batteries. The first list only mentions lg batteries

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 24, 2006, 07:36 PM

hmm...i try to start the exchange process with a 6C530 battery and it says its invalid... The range is 6C519 - 6C552. I try calling the 800 number and i'm met with a busy signal. hopefully my battery doesnt explode on me

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 24, 2006, 07:43 PM

Same here...mine starts with 6C539.

Was on hold for 56 minutes, took 4 minutes to get the order placed.

(Was on hold for 12 minutes and counting for original post.)
( Last edited by frdmfghtr; Aug 24, 2006 at 08:30 PM. )

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 24, 2006, 08:29 PM

i gave up after 22 minutes on hold

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 08:57 PM

The two different Apple sites give different results, too. I tried the first, and my wife's iBook battery was NOT eligible. But with the second site it WAS, so I have it ordered and begin the wait.

Hmmmmm

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

m_young
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2006, 10:58 PM

This is spectacular. I was just getting ready to buy a new battery, and boom, it gets recalled. Now, in 4-6 weeks, my battery will go from <1 hour of life, to hopefully >3 hours of life. And for free. I can't wait. Let's just hope it doesn't blow up before then.

All in all, sucks for apple, rocks for me, and others in the same predicament.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 11:03 PM

Hopefully this kind of crud will get sorted when they standardize the batteries.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 12:26 AM

Mine's on the way. Good news, since my battery died in the last week or two. Yahoo!

bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 07:39 AM

Anyone else having issues with the website? I enter my serial numbers (which are part of the recall 6C520, 6C523) and it says they are not valid. Odd...
Macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB Ram, 5G 30GB iPod

frogboy2727
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 10:14 AM

I successfully ordered my new battery, via the website. No problems, at all.

Al ..

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by bradbissell
Anyone else having issues with the website? I enter my serial numbers (which are part of the recall 6C520, 6C523) and it says they are not valid. Odd...

Had the same problem entering the info for our 15" PB, but we called this morning and it is being replaced. I had no problems with the ibook battery info going through. The guy said it had to do with the volume of replies to the recall.

dohidied
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 03:30 PM

The website should be fixed now. It was telling me my battery was invalid yesterday, but it went through this morning.

So do I have to condition the new battery when it arrives? I've never had a new laptop, so I've never had to deal with that. Does it tell you what to do in the manual?

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 03:53 PM

fully charge it before using it...then you can discharge it all the way if you want. that's how i've always done it, and i've never had a battery problem

trinko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 07:49 PM

does anyone know what the earliest date any of these batteries were sold is? thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2006, 09:40 PM

My wife's iBook (with the recalled battery) was produced at the begining of January, 2004. I don't know where that places it in the recall, but at least we now have ONE date...

Faceplant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 08:14 PM

This is a quote...
"but its a scary thought to have one go off in a plane. Not only is it terrifying to see fire while in flight, but if that ever happens then it gives more reason to pull laptops and ipods off flights."

Are you kidding? Do you know what happens when laptop batteries mix with toothpaste?

Kaboom!!!!!

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2006, 11:27 PM

Crazy I have a battery in my origional iBook 600Mhz late 2001 G3 (this is the second battery I purchased for my iBook) and it qualifies for the recall, so does my 12inch G4 PowerBook.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

luckyjoe
Aug 28, 2006, 10:16 AM

Don't bother wasting time on the phone - a couple minutes on the Apple web site and my iBook battery request was processed and confirmed...

Regards,

Tom P.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2006, 03:20 PM

We ordered my wife's replacement battery on August 24, and FedEx attempted to deliver the package yesterday-when nobody was home of course. That's 12 days by my count...

Forum Links
Forum Rules