Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Recall issues

iBook Recall issues
Beweglich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 09:20 PM

Hey everyone relatively new here, but not new to macs, but my most recent one has a 2005 battery.
Yes I know how to recall it and I think apple is having website fits because I'm absolutely positive my battery is A1061 and 6C535 yes right in the middle of the recall, but when i try to fill out the form it says by serial number isn't recalled, this is obviously contrary to the list.
I will call apple care later this weekend, but was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, with this recall or before?

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Aug 25, 2006, 10:49 PM

yes, when i talked to the girl that answered the phone she said "it seemed like that was a common problem." i waited on hold for 50 minutes before i got to talk to her, so apparently lots of people are having trouble with the website. just call the 1800 number to get it all taken care of.

Beweglich  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 11:47 PM

Thanks so much my battery was amoung those to swell so this is very worriesome

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Aug 26, 2006, 03:03 PM

That's kind of crap. People are having issues with the website, so just hang out on the phone for 50 minutes and they'll take care of you? My 6C531xxx battery is within the range, and the website reports it as invalid. How hard is this automate??? Apple can't script the validation process for x is between 6C519 and 6C555 or whatever? They can't secure the bandwidth?

Bear in mind we have batteries that *may overheat and burst into flame*, per the authorities, You'd think Apple would bend over backwards to make this simpler. If Dell's website to deal with recalls was that crappy when that recall was announced chortling would have have rippled through the boards here...

Here's another reason is sucks: Assume someone has a bad battery, checks the website, which returns the incorrect information that that battery is not in the recall range, and then the customer breathes a sigh of relief for not having to go through the hassle thinking their battery is fine, happily places the battery back in the bay, and gets burned seriously when the thing incinerates the next day. Not everyone is as together as Beweglich and will double-check the accuracy of Apple's verification process.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Colonel Panic
That's kind of crap. People are having issues with the website, so just hang out on the phone for 50 minutes and they'll take care of you? My 6C531xxx battery is within the range, and the website reports it as invalid. How hard is this automate??? Apple can't script the validation process for x is between 6C519 and 6C555 or whatever? They can't secure the bandwidth?

Bear in mind we have batteries that *may overheat and burst into flame*, per the authorities, You'd think Apple would bend over backwards to make this simpler. If Dell's website to deal with recalls was that crappy when that recall was announced chortling would have have rippled through the boards here...

Here's another reason is sucks: Assume someone has a bad battery, checks the website, which returns the incorrect information that that battery is not in the recall range, and then the customer breathes a sigh of relief for not having to go through the hassle thinking their battery is fine, happily places the battery back in the bay, and gets burned seriously when the thing incinerates the next day. Not everyone is as together as Beweglich and will double-check the accuracy of Apple's verification process.

Don't sweat it. They are dealing with 1.8 million responses. They have to overloaded. Wasn't it only something like 6 batteries with the problem? If your battery fits the recall and your afraid of it bursting in flames????? Take it out and run of the cord. 50 minute hold times?? Again, 1.8 million phone calls. Ask yourself how you would deal with it. Quit your crying.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Aug 26, 2006, 03:16 PM

I'm not "crying". Nor am I freaking out about my battery. Point is Apple's response so far is awful - a false negative on a battery check is about the worst result their website can return in the midst of a safety issue. They wouldn't have 1.8 million calls to deal with if the site worked. If you sell 1.8 million laptops a cost of doing business is the ability to deal with a large scale recall. I'm surprised they are living with the legal liability of a borked validation process.

A lot pf people won't even know their battery is bad (and won't know to take it our and run their machine off the cord) even if they go to Apple's site and follow directions perfectly. That's bad. Very bad.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2006, 05:52 PM

Can we keep to the same thread for one issue, please? It's right here on this page!

Colonel Panic, it may be news to you but not all large companies just poop perfect web sites on a moment's notice-and since there is some question about certain ranges of batteries, it's possible that these changes are due to new information being incorporated into the site's back end.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules