Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4 rattle

iPhone 4 rattle
DCaddict
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2010, 03:47 PM

When I set my iPhone 4 down on a table there is a rattling sound. I found out that its the on/off/sleep wake button which has a little bit of play. When I hold the button with my finger there isn't any rattle. Everything works fine though. Is is possible the button will fall off someday? Does anyone else's phone rattle?

I don't think I'll be taking the phone back for this reason but was just curious if this is on all iPhones.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2010, 04:20 PM

Personally if you're planning on keeping the phone for 2 years, I would probably take it in if it's not an inconvenience. I know a lot of people have had bad luck with buttons breaking on older iPhones, like the mute switch on the 3G.

Andrew88088
Sep 22, 2010, 07:36 PM

Mine does the same thing! At first, I thought it was the bumper, but then I realized it's the actual button. My friend's does the same thing. It's not a huge issue, but it didn't do it when I first got it, so I'm not sure what happened.

DCaddict  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2010, 10:47 PM

Well, I had a little time to kill before meeting up with a friend, and there happened to be an Applestore a few blocks away. After I checked out the new nanos, I checked out the display iPhones and all of them had pretty solid buttons without any play. At any rate, I'm not sure this issue warrants me giving up a weekend afternoon or an evening to get another one--just to experience another issue probably.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
know a lot of people have had bad luck with buttons breaking on older iPhones, like the mute switch on the 3G.
The mute switch is a widespread problem? They tried to evade repairing it by showing me some invisible "separation" in the case, caused by a drop (I never dropped it and I couldn't see what he was showing me with his magnifier). So he said he could try to fix it for free or charge me a huge amount. He "fixed" it in the backstore and it kind of works, but the phone still won't vibrate and will put itself into mute mode all the time and i still miss a lot of calls.. i'm very pissed at this, as my phone was still under warranty but they won't replace it...

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2010, 01:50 PM

Go back and raise a stink until they fix it. I've got nothing but great experiences in the Toronto Apple Store, maybe you just got a jerk.

If the phone doesn't work and is within warrantee they'll need to fix it up. How they do that isn't your problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules