Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone 4 vs htc evo 4g

iphone 4 vs htc evo 4g
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2010, 05:53 PM

Lets get a run down.
So far this is what I have gathered from the hd and the 4. Screen
960 x 640, 3.5-inch (iphone) 800 x 480, 4.3-inch (htc) Thickness 0.37-inch 0.47-inch
iphone 5 megapixel with built-in LED flash illuminates low-light scenes (htc 8 megapixel no illumination low light scenes)
built-in three-axis gyroscope. (htc nothing)

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2010, 06:13 PM

iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2 -- Engadget any thing else we can add. I think the cam on the other ones that are non iphone have lower quality iso etc at the same 5mp res the iphone has.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 12:45 AM

EVO occupies 3.8 times the volume(!) and weighs 25% more than iPhone 4. Oh yeah, only the iPhone runs iOS 4. That's what matters most.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2010, 08:40 AM

EVO 4G battery can't even last a full day on standby. It's not a phone - it's an experiment.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 09:15 AM

Megapixel mean nothing with a sensor that small. You could cram in 20 and the images would still be crap.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 09:24 AM

How about "the EVO doesn't integrate with itunes, my mac, my contacts, ical, etc, etc."

My mom is going through all this hullabaloo trying to get into the smartphone game. She got some motorola thing (not android), and started putting contact info into it. Manually. Obviously a dead end (after she does all this, she would never be able to export it, sync it to a computer, etc). Thankfully, before she got too far in, she dropped the phone in water and killed it. She upgraded to an android phone which pulls contact info down from gmail, which is much better. At least you can do something with the contact info after you type it all in (export it as csv, etc).

It just all makes me thankful for my little mac universe.

robertwilson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2010, 04:00 PM

I believe iPhone 4 offer much needed upgrades but the closed eco system of Apple is a major problem for the developers. A comparison is drawn here between these two phones

Comparison: iPhone 4 vs. HTC EVO 4G | TechZipper

cheers

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2010, 04:05 PM

I disagree. The polished, consistent Apple ecosystem is a tremendous boon to developers. Android, in contrast, is fragmented and hard to target.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by robertwilson View Post
I believe iPhone 4 offer much needed upgrades but the closed eco system of Apple is a major problem for developers.

cheers
Quite the opposite is true. With Apple you know where you stand, with Android you can never guarantee that you app will will work consistently.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2010, 05:43 PM

Here's a wonderfully sarcastic piece about the Evo from David Pogue:

The Sprint Evo 4G Phone - Video Library - The New York Times

bottom line: iphone 4

Forum Links
Forum Rules