Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Universal Access App

Universal Access App
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2007, 03:57 PM

Just recently, after the last Security Update, I noticed the following item when looking at the Activity Monitor: Universal Access App.

I don't recall seeing this item before. I've checked the Universal Access Preference Panel and everything is turned off there.

I've also checked and there is nothing like this in any of the 'startup' folders.

I've quit the process without any noticeable affect on my system but it returns at each time I start up in the morning.

Can anyone give me an idea what this is?

Thanks,
Doug

JKT
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 05:54 PM

With the last 10.4.9 update, the zoom feature (which is historically a part of Universal Access) was activated by default and a new feature added whereby you are able to press control while using a scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out. Confusingly the checkbox to switch this particular aspect off is not found under Universal Access but is instead only found under the mouse tab of the Keyboard & Mouse system preferences (it should be in both locations, IMO). What is likely to be happening on your system is that, even though you are turning zoom off in Universal Access, it remains on under the Keyboard & Mouse>Mouse settings. You now need to turn it off in both locations to completely inactivate the zoom feature.

It's a example of a nice idea that has been quite poorly implemented by Apple. Turning off zoom should turn off zoom, not leave it on in one place just because the user doesn't happen to know about this new preference setting.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2007, 07:14 PM

I've updated to 10.4.9 but when I look at the System Preferences/Keyboard & Mouse there are only 2 sliders, Track Speed and Double Click Speed, under the Mouse Tab.

Any suggestions?

JKT
Professional Poster
May 19, 2007, 04:48 AM

You don't have this option?

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2007, 11:23 AM

Nope, the only thing I have is the sliders for Track Speed and Double Click Speed. Those are the only 2 items I have in the Mouse Tab.

I don't have the Trackpad or Bluetooth Tabs either.

I've Repaired Permission and used Disk Utility and TTP and everything seems to be OK.

Any suggestions?

JKT
Professional Poster
May 19, 2007, 04:38 PM

Those options are evidently context sensitive (e.g. my mouse has a scroll wheel - does yours?). Trackpad is only going to appear if you have a laptop like me, and bluetooth if your Mac supports it and you have it turned on.

Regardless, the Universal Access process is not abnormal and is nothing to worry about. It is a little annoying that you don't seem to be able to inactivate it, but it isn't going to do any harm.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2007, 04:39 PM

Actually hooking up a mouse or a trackpad that has scrolling capability?

Other than that, don't bother with it.

It's not like it's using any CPU capacity at all.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 23, 2007, 01:34 AM

I am also missing the zoom scroll wheel checkbox under the Keyboard and Mouse CP. It's driving me crazy because I need to turn off this functionality to utilize some features of other programs. I'm using a Microsoft Intellipoint Explorer... I've got all my software up to date, but don't know why this feature is missing.

2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules