Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help - snapshot of machine?

Help - snapshot of machine?
swiftp
Jun 12, 2002, 03:43 AM

Dear all,

I am looking for a product that is able to 'snapshot' a machine to create a disk image. This is for support purposes, you restore the whole machine in case of major problems. If this product worked on OS X AND OS 9 that would be good. If it worked on OS X, OS 9 AND Windows, that would be GREAT!

(I have in mind something like Ghost or the like).

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2002, 02:39 PM

You can drag the disk onto Disk Copy to make an image. Restoring is done by scanning it with tools from the Installer SDK, and then dropping it onto Apple Software Restore.

(163)

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2002, 09:33 AM

Hi Swiftp
Check out <a href="http://www.qdea.com" target="_blank">Qdea's Synchronize software </a> There is an OS9 and X version and I know that the new version for X lets you make bootable backups.
We use to use Disk copy and ASR when I was creating images for a school system and that worked great (basically set-up the machine with three partitions--- 1st was the drive the way we wanted it--- 2nd was a bootable drive witha few utilities --- third was the restore cd where we would copy our drive image and have our ASR and bootable system)
OSX's Disk copy also allows you to make drive images and burn to CD.
good luck!
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules