Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes list font.

iTunes list font.
Swancoat
Feb 12, 2001, 12:55 AM

Can anyone tell me:

a) What that font is called in iTunes' list views.
b) How to get at it, or somewhere else to get it.

I would really like to make that the font that the finder uses in its list views and icon labels, but don't know how to get it. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Jeremy

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2001, 11:23 AM

Lucida Grande. Not sure how you can get it, I know it's installed by some software (that's how I got it). You can extract it using ResEdit, I believe, as well as using some other (old) utility whose name I forget...

Cipher13
Feb 13, 2001, 05:43 AM

Easy way - duplicate the app (iTunes), and change its creator to DMOV, and its type to FFIL in ResEdit or something, then just open it!
Voila, just like a font suitcase, with your fonts sitting right there for ya

Cipher13

Swancoat  (op)
Feb 14, 2001, 03:13 AM

Hey thanks a lot guys. Cipher, that little trick was awesome - just pulled the fonts right out and popped them in the System Folder.

It does look nice and everything, but I think that the fonts are different. There was only two in the iTunes suitcase and I took them both (Lucidia Grande and Lucidia Grande Bold).

A screenshot can be found here:
http://homepage.mac.com/swancoat/font.jpg

(I don't know how to make this into a link, so you'll have to cut and paste - unless some admin-type person wants to do it.)
-oscar ok =)

Anyways, what can you guys make of this? I like the font I got just fine, but would love to get the exact same one as in iTunes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by oscar (edited 02-14-2001).]

Cipher13
Feb 14, 2001, 05:25 AM

The difference is caused by the anti-aliasing iTunes uses. Turn anti aliasing on in your Appearance control panel.
That slows down the comp, by the way. Somewhat.
Thats why it looks different - its the same font.

EDIT: Dude, just noticed... you're from Edmonton?? Go the Oilers!!

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 02-14-2001).]

Swancoat  (op)
Feb 14, 2001, 09:48 PM

I too originally thought it was the anti-aliasing, but the anti-aliasing is already on (apparently it only works in the icon views, not the list views). Anyway, I still think the font is different. Notice the width of the capital U, M etc.

Anyways, in the big scheme of things it's not really that important (it just bugs me that I can't have my list views EXACTLY like iTunes')

Also, It's nice to see people cheering for the Oilers in Australia. (I'm assuming that's Oceania) Half the people in the United States don't even know there's a team in Edmonton. But that's an entirely different topic for an entirely different forum.

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy

Cipher13
Feb 15, 2001, 03:39 AM

I think iTunes uses its own anti-aliasing engine thing similar to OSXs.
Perhaps iTunes uses a morphing engine to change the fonts so no one can do what you want to do... so its changed according to this as its displayed.
Or something.

Haha, yeah but thats Americans... you can't really compare to them (jk)
Yeah, Australia - greatest country in the world, closely followed by Canada

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules