Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 File sharing control panel won't open

OS9 File sharing control panel won't open
switchgass
Mar 30, 2000, 02:08 PM

I'm having the following problem on a pair of G3's and a pair of G4's: When I try to open the file sharing control panel for the very first time, to set the owner names and passwords, the control panel freezes. The system sets up the proper menus, and the, "file sharing" name appears in the application switcher, but the panel itself never loads. Force quit kills the app, and gives me a "unexpectedly quit" message. NE ideas?

------------------
All is not yet lost.

Simon Kornblith
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2000, 05:31 PM

Odds are that it has not frozen, but is just slow. I experience this problem too, but if I am patient the control panel opens. This problem only occurs under Mac OS 9.

------------------
Simon Kornblith
Computer Consultant
Programmer

petek
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2000, 12:55 PM

Can anyone shed any light on why the File Sharing CP is so slow to open under OS 9? I've seen a number of posts about this, but never a reason (or solution) other than to wait it out...

iMac DV 400, 192M RAM, OS 9.04 no apps open, typically takes 45 - 60 sec to open the control panel. Just one folder set for sharing. Not using multiple users. File Sharing CP has been this slow from day one.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2000, 01:17 PM

The only thing people have found to "fix" this is to delete the "Servers" folder within the System Folder...
It is an odd one, I've seen it happen and go-away with no real reason. Apple hasn't been very forthcoming on this issue.

Scott

Forum Links
Forum Rules