Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > printer question.....

printer question.....
suprz
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 09:01 PM

before i ask the question, i just want to thank all you guys for putting up with my constant questions, and always being very fast to help. now, having said that , here is my question,
i have a epson 777i printer that is currently hooked up to my imac via a usb port. the back of the printer also has a scsi port. can i hook up a scsi cable to the port on the printer and up to the beige g3's scsi port and use the printer on both machines. (not at the same time of course) i would keep the usb cable plugged in and the scsi at the same time. it seems logical that the printer wouldnt care which cable was supplying the data as long as it wasnt both at the same time. it seems easier than networking the two computers and the printer. (although at some point i will be networking the tow computers together anyways)
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2002, 12:25 AM

I could be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but I bet that SCSI port on the back of your printer is actually a PC parallel port... they look very much the same. I don't know of any SCSI printers... although I could be mistaken. Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Chris

Joseph Henry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2002, 01:29 AM

I have an Epson Photo 890 that has both ports as well (I think they all do). Anyway, your right. The printer doesn't care where it gets the print job from so this shouldn't be a problem. I keep my Epson hooked up to my G4 via USB and a %$#@ icky wintel machine is pluged into the printers parallel port. Seems to work just fine for me.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 04:56 AM

That is not a SCSI port!!! Look closely, the connector is Centronics, but it is much smaller than SCSI Centronics (50pin) The last printer that I was aware of that used SCSI for data transmission was the LaserWriter IIsc. SCSI is a terrible way of hooking a printer to a computer anyway.

The others are correct, it is a parellel port. Create a small ethernet network to connect your two computers together and turn on USB printer sharing. That will do what you want, but requires that the serving computer be on when you want to print from the client computer.

VRL
Senior User
May 13, 2002, 09:11 AM

Like others, I have used both the USB and parallel ports on my Epson at the same time (connected to two different computers). It doesn't care.
RIght now, I have my G4 connected via USB and an Axis print server plugged into the parallel port, so my Epson is available to my entire network
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Forum Links
Forum Rules