Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Building a G4, will PC Geforce2 64MB work?

Building a G4, will PC Geforce2 64MB work?
Zemrec
Sep 14, 2003, 06:16 PM

I'm going to be building a G4, will PC Geforce2 64MB work?

I've looked around and it looks like ATI Radeons can't be flashed (darn, I have a 9500 I'd like to use in the soon to be Mac), but I also have a Elsa Gladiac Geforce2 64 MB. I've see this page: http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm but it mostly just talks about MX cards, not full Geforces.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2003, 08:56 PM

Wont work.

Nothing before the GeForce 2MX was designed with Mac compatibility in mind.

Even then, there are only a few rare PC MX cards that will work in a Mac, even after flashing. Usually, PC cards can't be flashed because the Mac firmware is too big to fit on the EPROM chips on the PC version of the card.

You'd be better off finding a used Mac-compatible card on eBay or something like that than trying to flash a PC card.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 01:16 PM

Some Radeon 8500's could be flashed; but there were some pitfalls involved. I have flashed a 8500 in my custom box but it thinks I have 2 monitors attached. I can live with that since I'm not doing anything major with it.

You'd probably better off buying a Geforce 4MX from macsales.com for about $70. May save yourself a headache in the long run...

Terrance

Forum Links
Forum Rules