Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wireless keyboard based on bluetooth announced!!!!!

Wireless keyboard based on bluetooth announced!!!!!
Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 05:13 AM

"One more thing:" Wireless keyboard based on bluetooth. Adaptive frequency hopping reduces interference, 128-bit encryption. "Great for offices and classrooms full of these things.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Sandbaggins  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 05:14 AM

$59 each.

Sandbaggins  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 05:16 AM

"Our strategy at Apple is to innovate:" First 17-inch notebook; Safari, iLife, Keynote, Final Cut Pro 4, new iPods, Power Mac G5, iSight, iChat AV, Panther, 15- and 17-inch PowerBooks, wireless keyboard and mouse. "We are gonna keep innovating because that's what we love to do."

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 05:16 AM

How many buttons on mouse???????????
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2003, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
How many buttons on mouse???????????
one

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 05:21 AM

One button mice, damn Jobs is a stubborn SOB.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 05:24 AM

Where is the bastard? I'd like to shove that single button right up his

S|ntax
Sep 16, 2003, 05:24 AM

One button mice, damn Jobs is a stubborn SOB.
innovating sob. the rest of the world is too ahead of itself with two buttons.

:rollseyes:

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 06:01 AM

http://www.apple.com/keyboard/ . Very nice, but...

I simply fail to understand why the one button mouse is still alive in the mind of such an innovative company. Please, put it out of its misery already. There are just too many advantages to using at least a two button mouse. Good god, please, enough with the big giant single click already!

This single stubborn "mmm, nah, I think we'll stick with the one button thing" will keep me from buying it. Sad, sad.

klinux
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by S|ntax:
innovating sob. the rest of the world is too ahead of itself with two buttons.

:rollseyes:

Two buttons? Are you stuck in the mid 90's? My wireless logitech has 4+1! Come on Job, release that damn multi-button mouse already!
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 06:09 AM

what is he doing? the MX700 has 8 buttons.
oh well, i'll just wait till a BT version of MX700 comes out.
Ryan

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 06:13 AM

The one button mouse is an insult to Mac users everywhere. The only remotely intelligent argument I've EVER heard in favor of the one button is that it's somehow easier to click a button on the keyboard and the mouse at the same time. Keep in mind I think even that lame excuse hold no water whatsoever. So are we too dumb to use two buttons, Steve?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:16 AM

Won't buy for two reasons. 1) it's white, 2) one button.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:32 AM

I just unpacked the low-footprint keyboard that's similar to the bluetooth thing, its friggin UGLY and the USb ports are on the wrong side. Now this bluetooth kb hasn't got usb at all, where am I going to stick my memorystick into?? If Jobs has some space left in that of his, I'll stick it in there
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

tramahound
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
$59 each.
Where did you see this? I'm seeing it at $69 each. Too much for a single button mouse to me. Now, if they had made an entirely different keyboard and mouse in aluminum or something like that $69 might not be too bad. ah well I need to save my money anyway. Thanks Steve

cambro
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by tramahound:
...Now, if they had made an entirely different keyboard and mouse in aluminum or something like that $69 might not be too bad. ah well I need to save my money anyway. Thanks Steve
Hehe...good way to look at it!

I mean honestly, who builds a wireless mouse with one button that looks like a large asprin?

mikemako
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 03:07 PM

I really like the design of the Apple mouse and keyboard.. They are so simple and elegant. I try every now and then to use the Apple mouse because it looks so nice next to my monitor, but it's so inconvenient to not have 2 buttons that I cannot use it for an extended period of time.

If anything, Apple should at least release a pro 2 button mouse with scroll wheel as a BTO option.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 03:20 PM

Yes, little kids and old people actually do have trouble with mice that have two or more buttons. As easy as it is for most of us here to use them, super-novices often get confused.

I think they should stay with a one button mouse but DEFINITELY allow you to BTO a multi-button mouse so multi-button users aren't stuck with a crappy one button mouse until they get a replacement. Even if they just let you BTO a different company's mouse - Apple already sells mice by Kensington, Logitech and Microsoft on their site, so why not?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

klinux
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 08:41 PM

Tell the confused people to just use their index finger i.e the left click button and ignore all the other buttons for now.

And if they are confused by right mouse button, would they not get more confused by telling them to ctrl-click?
( Last edited by klinux; Sep 17, 2003 at 08:56 PM. )
One iMac, iBook, one iPod, way too many PCs.

MacsGalor
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 08:56 PM

Has anyone ever tried to start a petition asking Steve for a multi button mouse? Or am I just crazy?

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2003, 09:13 PM

Do you think the majority of Apple's customers given the opportunity to use a two button mouse would still prefer the one button?

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Yes, little kids and old people actually do have trouble with mice that have two or more buttons. As easy as it is for most of us here to use them, super-novices often get confused.

I think they should stay with a one button mouse but DEFINITELY allow you to BTO a multi-button mouse so multi-button users aren't stuck with a crappy one button mouse until they get a replacement. Even if they just let you BTO a different company's mouse - Apple already sells mice by Kensington, Logitech and Microsoft on their site, so why not?

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2003, 09:33 PM

Do you think the majority of Apple's customers given the opportunity to use a two button mouse would still prefer the one button?
Has any one herd of ctrl click. How lazy are you people.

horne9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by klinux:
Tell the confused people to just use their index finger i.e the left click button and ignore all the other buttons for now.

And if they are confused by right mouse button, would they not get more confused by telling them to ctrl-click?
Yeah! I've used a multi-button M$-mouse for a while now, and realise I've become single-armed android!
I'll definately order a single-butt Apple-mouse for my Super-Al 15". Then soon my other arm will come out of elsewhere and back to the keyboard!

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
what is he doing? the MX700 has 8 buttons.
oh well, i'll just wait till a BT version of MX700 comes out.
Logitech MX900 announced today. Hopefully they play nicely with the built-in BT in the new PowerBooks.

-matt

macndave
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Won't buy for two reasons. 1) it's white, 2) one button.
And they don't work with the older USB D-Link Bluetooth adapters (of which I have two: one for the PowerBook and one for the PowerMac)

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 10:42 PM

apple will never put in a mechanical scroll wheel, it has to be like the ipod scroll, no moving parts.

higuy83
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by macndave:
And they don't work with the older USB D-Link Bluetooth adapters (of which I have two: one for the PowerBook and one for the PowerMac)
Where does it say that they don't work with these adapters?

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2003, 01:19 AM

The one button mouse issue is one reaon I held off on buying my 15 inch Powerbook until now. Since I will never have two buttons on the built in trackpad, I can at least now carry a bluetooth mouse that suits me better.

I am going to miss the 3 button mouse pointer on my PC laptop. Being a heavy Unix person, all three have seen decent usage.

Draco
Sep 18, 2003, 01:23 AM

nice keyboard, and the mouse is nice to, but gimme a break. I don't know what I would do without a scroll wheel now. What a waste.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 05:13 AM

Steve Jobs can put that one button mouse up his ass!

Well, maybe Apple will finally change their mind and make a 2 button mouse after no one buys their one button mouse!

The only people that I see buying those damn one button mouse are the new Mac users, or some that are still stuck in the 1980s one button mouse world.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2003, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by nobitacu:
Well, maybe Apple will finally change their mind and make a 2 button mouse after no one buys their one button mouse!
Ming, you do have a point there.

The one-button mouse has always been part of our Mac purchase and we couldn' drop it. Hence, Apple has always "sold" many. Now imagine simply nobody buys this mouse. It would flop. Maybe that would wake Steve up and some non-reality-distorted person might tell him that there is no demand for such a mouse.

Beginners that can only manage one button are not likely to buy an additional BT mouse anyhow. The people that buy additional BT peripherals are probably capable of using a second button and a scroll wheel (horizontal scroll function anyone?).

If this actually happens, and I really do hope so, Steve has two options: Let it flop, do nothing about it, blame the bad world for not being good enough, and bury the product as if nothing happened. This is known by historians as the "Power Mac G4 Cube Method".

Or, Steve could lay down his pride, use his brain and re-design a BT mouse that is actually bought by people that buy BT peripherals. Or short: A mouse that doesn't represent an insult to people's intelligence.

Either way, the current mouse won't be here very long and that's fine!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 18, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
Great for offices and classrooms full of these things.
What drug was he on?!?

The last thing teachers need is to have 20 keyboards, all identical, that aren't tethered down! Then you'll have the kids swapping keyboards, so you sit down at one machine and it starts typing on another.

That, plus the cost (and hassle) of batteries on all those keyboards.

Plus kids dropping them.

Plus kids stealing them.

Ditto on everything, for the mouse.

tooki

P.S. WRONG FORUM!!! NOT A POWERBOOK-SPECIFIC TOPIC!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules