Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Latin scholars in the building?

Any Latin scholars in the building?
anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 02:18 AM

Hey folks, are any of you good with Latin? I need a translation of "common man." I've looked at some online translators, but I'd prefer to hear it from someone who has actually studied the language. I believe 'vulgaris' is the word I want to use for 'common,' but I'm not sure of the word for 'man,' (as in person/human), nor am I certain of the correct syntax.
Any help would be much appreciated.

red rocket
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 02:49 AM

(homo) vulgaris

There's a late Latin term, vulgares, meaning "common people," I think it's acceptable to just use the singular version of that.

Adding the homo helps to clarify, but sounds a bit stilted, so I'd leave it out, personally.

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket
(homo) vulgaris

There's a late Latin term, vulgares, meaning "common people," I think it's acceptable to just use the singular version of that.

Adding the homo helps to clarify, but sounds a bit stilted, so I'd leave it out, personally.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Just to clarify, 'vulgaris' would be the singular version of 'vulgares?'

Thanks again!

red rocket
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 03:05 AM

Correct.

No prob.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 06:02 AM

I'm not a Latin scholar myself, but I married one...

Vulgaris works, but you should know that it has taken on a slightly negative connotation; the word vulgar comes from it. The question is, what connotation do you have, and who will be reading this? The term may be perfect for your audience, but it might also be very offensive; it depends on who this is intended for. Here are a few other possibilities:

If you want to distinguish the common man as opposed to the aristocracy, you might consider using plebs (which I think is actually singular, but my wife has now left for work so I can't confirm that). If you're speaking about a politician, you might consider novus homo, which the Romans used to refer to the first man in a family to enter into politics.

If you're looking for something referring to all the common people, you can also use hoi polloi, though that's actually a Greek term. Once again, however, note that this has taken on negative connotations.

If you can wait until this afternoon, she said she'd be able to help more. She actually had one other term, referring to the humanity common to us all, but I've forgotten what that was.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyvthc
Hey folks, are any of you good with Latin? I need a translation of "common man." I've looked at some online translators, but I'd prefer to hear it from someone who has actually studied the language. I believe 'vulgaris' is the word I want to use for 'common,' but I'm not sure of the word for 'man,' (as in person/human), nor am I certain of the correct syntax.
Any help would be much appreciated.
'vulgaris' or 'volgaris' as an adjective just means common i.e. for all. After all, St Jerome used the term 'vulgatus' as a title for his translation of the Scriptures (Latin in those times was the tongue of the people; Greek was the foreign tongue. Therefore by translating the work into Latin he was making the Bible more accessible for the ordinary man.)

However, when used as a substantive it has very negative connotations similar in meaning to the modern day equivalent 'vulgar', and even the adjectival form 'vulgaris' can have these connotations. Vulgaris though would be the most suitable word if you are speaking of 'everyday' man or 'ordinary' man. However, generally the word 'vulgaris' would exclude the upper class or the equestrian class (as would the word 'plebs'). If you are speaking the common man not in sense of lower class but rather but the essence of what makes a man i.e. the common characteristics I think neither word would satisty as an apt translation of the phrase. By the word 'common' in common man are you making explicit references to lower classes or are you merely speaking about man as man but not anything extraordinary?
In vino veritas.

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
ou might consider using plebs (which I think is actually singular[/b]
'plebs' is singular. 'Plebes' or 'plebis' would be the plural. Plebs is like a collective noun, speaking about a class.
In vino veritas.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 08:19 AM

plebs, plebis (f) - the common people

Nice timing for this query... I'm studying for my Latin II exam on Friday

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2005, 09:01 AM

If your angle is that of common man = ordinary person with ordinary needs, someone who has just the standard/ordinary needs and uses in various aspects of life, you could also use 'homo communis'.

Also, is this for a slogan, to stand alone, or should it be in a specific connection? 'Cause you might have to decline it as well, then (for example 'homines communes' in the nominative plural, or 'hominum communium' in the genetive plural)...

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 12:50 PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I guess I should be more specific. This is needed for a tattoo design. The tattoo is going to be an anatomical human heart with labels to the various sections, but instead of things like 'ventricle' and 'aeorta' it will say things like 'lust' 'greed' etc... It is sort of a commentary on the state of the human race. Therefore, those translations with negative connotations actually work fairly well.
So I think I will give it another day while you fine fellow NN'ers determine which translation would be appropriate.

Thanks again. You guys are great.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2005, 01:13 PM

So, 'common man' would be just another part, on a level with lust, greed, etc.? If so, for the sake of keeping it fairly short, I'd say go with just plebs...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2005, 01:46 PM

ita vero

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ois�n
So, 'common man' would be just another part, on a level with lust, greed, etc.? If so, for the sake of keeping it fairly short, I'd say go with just plebs...

No, sorry, I should explain the whole thing. It will be a man holding his heart with a magnification of the heart off to the side with the various labels. The "common man" will be used to denote the gentleman holding the miniature heart. "Greed, etc" will be on the magnified part.
I hope that made sense.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2005, 06:10 PM

No, sorry, I should explain the whole thing. It will be a man holding his heart with a magnification of the heart off to the side with the various labels. The "common man" will be used to denote the gentleman holding the miniature heart. "Greed, etc" will be on the magnified part.
I hope that made sense.
In that case, it sounds like vulgaris might be the best way to go after all.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2005, 06:32 PM

Aha... So, the message you're trying to get through (Jesus, I sound like a psychologist!) is something like, �No matter who you are, this is all you really are: a common man, with all the vices and problems that implies; nothing special about you,� then?

In that case... Plebs is probably not so good, since it has connotations to the lower classes, and is not really applicable to individuals, only a class (or 'layer') of people as a whole.

I'm not sure about homo vulgaris... That also has an aspect of being someone who's not cultivated, someone who isn't a part of the higher classes of society, which I gather your 'common man' could very well be. Homo communis could work... it has more or less the same connotations as 'common' in English...

Perhaps something different altogether would be better, though, something along the lines of 'all men' or 'any man'... you know, to sort of bring in the sort of, omni-errr-validity of the whole thing. Can you tell I'm babbling?

Edit: Wow, that took me 25 minutes to write... Watching Spin City, typing and thinking is obviously pushing the limits of my cerebral capacities.

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 06:47 PM

Aha... So, the message you're trying to get through (Jesus, I sound like a psychologist!) is something like, �No matter who you are, this is all you really are: a common man, with all the vices and problems that implies; nothing special about you,� then?

In that case... Plebs is probably not so good, since it has connotations to the lower classes, and is not really applicable to individuals, only a class (or 'layer') of people as a whole.

I'm not sure about homo vulgaris... That also has an aspect of being someone who's not cultivated, someone who isn't a part of the higher classes of society, which I gather your 'common man' could very well be. Homo communis could work... it has more or less the same connotations as 'common' in English...

Perhaps something different altogether would be better, though, something along the lines of 'all men' or 'any man'... you know, to sort of bring in the sort of, omni-errr-validity of the whole thing. Can you tell I'm babbling?

Edit: Wow, that took me 25 minutes to write... Watching Spin City, typing and thinking is obviously pushing the limits of my cerebral capacities.

Wow, I like your idea about 'any man' as opposed to 'common man.' Anyone have a clue as to what that translation would be?

Damn MacNN is useful!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2005, 06:56 PM

Okay, commercial break just over, managed to do some light thinking during that, should be able to type and what Spin City at the same time now (well, sort of...)

I would actually suggest 'sic omnes homines' if it's not too long. 'Sic' = thus, like this. 'Omnes homines' = all humans/men/people. Orr perhaps just 'sic omnes', 'thus are all'.

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 06:39 AM

Wow, I like your idea about 'any man' as opposed to 'common man.' Anyone have a clue as to what that translation would be?

Damn MacNN is useful!
'aliqui' means 'any man'.
In vino veritas.

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 06:41 AM

Okay, commercial break just over, managed to do some light thinking during that, should be able to type and what Spin City at the same time now (well, sort of...)

I would actually suggest 'sic omnes homines' if it's not too long. 'Sic' = thus, like this. 'Omnes homines' = all humans/men/people. Orr perhaps just 'sic omnes', 'thus are all'.
'sic omnes' sounds very nice. Very Latin motto-like! As far as I can tell, it fits the original poster's intentions!
In vino veritas.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by undotwa
'sic omnes' sounds very nice. Very Latin motto-like! As far as I can tell, it fits the original poster's intentions!
Yup, that's what I thought too: it sounds like something a philosophic Roman surfer dude (there weren't many of those, of course, but they did exist!) might have written on his front door or something

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 04:38 PM

Ok, looks like I'm going with 'Sic Omnes.' Would anybody else care to validate that translation? Not that I doubt it, I just want to be sure before it is etched in my skin for eternity.
Thanks again for all you guys' help!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 05:42 PM

Totally, sic omnes definitely sounds the best of any of them. I think the translation is probably one of the better sounding ones too.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Totally, sic omnes definitely sounds the best of any of them. I think the translation is probably one of the better sounding ones too.
I thank thee, I thank thee. Thou art too kind

Forum Links
Forum Rules