Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Purposely misspelling your child's name

Purposely misspelling your child's name
spindler
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 08:20 PM

I just can't stand it when people purposely misspell their child's name. There are rules in life. Why must people change the spelling and have everyone else have to remember it? And it is just stupid anyway, unless there is a reason for it.

Brandan
Alexus
Deberah
Ashlee
Paulla
Shawnn
Mishelle

etc.

The only time you might choose an alternate spelling is if it give the name a different flavor when looking at it. For example, Suzi is kind of a perky way of of saying Susan. Or, perhaps even Erik, since, "k" is a more exotic letter than "c". It's just irks me so much. Why bother spelling anything properly for anyone? Whi shood i botherr to spel anythin the rite wae for u?
( Last edited by spindler; Jul 31, 2006 at 08:47 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 08:35 PM

I like "sh!thead"... pronounced "SHA-teed"

/from Freakonomics

Saetre
Senior User
Jul 31, 2006, 08:37 PM

A lot of these names existed before there was a standardized way to spell them. Others are cultural variants. I wouldn't worry about it.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 08:40 PM

I often see in the w0rlds of gayness that men will try to "french up" their names.

spindler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 08:42 PM

Cultural variants? I can see "Shawn" instead of the true spelling which is the Irish original "Sean". But Alexis is spelled Alexis, not Alexiss, Alexos, Alexus, Alexess, or Alexxas. If you told me that Midwesterners have always spelled it "Allexis", that I guess I could believe. But names, like words aren't always spelled like they sound.

spindler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 08:45 PM

"I often see in the w0rlds of gayness that men will try to "french up" their names."

While this might smell of homophobia, it is true. I have heard "Trevor" become Trevoir (Trev-Whar)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 31, 2006, 08:46 PM

Personally, I think they should spice things up. Why must everyone have the same name?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 08:46 PM

homophobia?

I smell "straight white guilt"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
I often see in the w0rlds of gayness that men will try to "french up" their names.

Cue mental image of Hyacinth Bucket.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

spindler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 08:56 PM

"Personally, I think they should spice things up. Why must everyone have the same name?"

Well, that's true, but they should properly spell the names they move to. There are lots of lesser used names like Lance, Emily, Chet, Dexter, Max, etc.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 31, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
I like "sh!thead"... pronounced "SHA-teed"

/from Freakonomics
I've heard it pronounced "shi-THAYD" too.

And don't forget the name pronounced "ab-sid-eee" and spelled "Abcde." Or the ever popular name pronounced "ess-pin" and spelled Espn. Yes, these are both REAL NAMES people have saddled their kids with. Compared to these, "Tiffani" or "Krystell" are downright nice!

I don't see anything wrong with trying to give a kid a less common name, but this sort of thing has gotten just dumb. A name should have some component that can be formal, and some component that can be diminutive or very informal, like "Bobby" and "Bob" for Robert, and "Cathy" and "Kate" for Catherine. Would you be prone to trust a banker named "Tiffani?"

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

porieux
Baninated
Jul 31, 2006, 09:34 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:47 AM. )

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 31, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
True story: an ex's new bf said he spelled his name "Bryen," but driver license read "Brian." I peeked.

spindler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 09:45 PM

True story from my friend's sister who is a midwife. This woman named her daughter "Placenta". She said she thought of it during the delivery.

jacheatamobits
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by spindler
True story from my friend's sister who is a midwife. This woman named her daughter "Placenta". She said she thought of it during the delivery.
thers name.

Hippies, LOL

@OPer:

Not as bad as calling the child by his/her sisters/brother's name, ad nauseum...

and take into consideration two with the same first letter:

JOAN!!!
JOSIE!!!
uh
uhMARIE
MARIE
JOAN, goddammit, you SOB!!!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 10:15 PM

I just can't stand it when people purposely misspell their child's name.
Are you sure most of these are intentional? My guess is that the vast majority of spelling variations are just spelling errors.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 11:14 PM

I know someone whose name literally is mispelled. He was born just after his parents moved here from India, and they decided to "Americanize" the spelling of his name, but didn't quite understand all of the sounds in English, so they used the wrong letters in his name.

At least, that's what he told me. Apart from the first letter, his spoken name sounds nothing like it is spelled, so I don't think he's putting me on....

spindler  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 12:02 AM

"Are you sure most of these are intentional? My guess is that the vast majority of spelling variations are just spelling errors."

It isn't that hard to check what the proper spelling is. I think even the dumbest person would invest the time. It isn't just lower class people that do it, either.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 12:09 AM

I just can't stand it when people purposely misspell their child's name.
Why do you believe it's intentional or purposely ?
I think these are the outcomes of people who can't spell, and they leave a legacy with it.

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2006, 01:32 AM

The only time you might choose an alternate spelling is if it give the name a different flavor when looking at it. For example, Suzi is kind of a perky way of of saying Susan. Or, perhaps even Erik, since, "k" is a more exotic letter than "c". It's just irks me so much.
Hey! That's the original spelling you know

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 02:36 AM

Do what Asian people do. Asian people have tons of kids. They are label their kids #1 for the oldest, #2 for the 2nd oldest, #3 for the 3rd oldest, and so forth.

Hey 13th Aunt, 9th Uncle, 3rd Cousin, 2nd sister in law.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 04:20 AM

Since there aren't any actual 'correct' spellings, I don't think you can qualify a name as misspelled. There are defiantely some odd spellings. It's just a parent trying to make their child unique.

That said, I know of a child named Paj-a-mis...
spelled Pajamas
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 06:36 AM

Mispellings are different but I must say that some people have some intentionally stupid names.

Rainbow Sun
Lamiquien

There is a very thin line between being different and damning your kid for his life.
Genius. You know who.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 10:18 AM

One of my mom's students goes by the name Tweety Bird. They called in the parent to confirm this. I am not joking.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 11:50 AM

I don't believe that people are doing this on "accident". People really think that spelling their kid's name different is going to make their kid special in some way. Instead it just makes things harder on everyone... calling to register a product: "Now how do you spell Adam? A-d-u-m; okay thanks... now how do you spell your last name? k-l-a-r-k; okay, thank you." Sheeshe, what a pain.

I know a girl who changed her name from the traditional "Mindy" to "MinDee". I have no idea why someone would do that other than wanting to feel special.

These are not accidents. And Jolie-Pitt as a last name? Come on!

andi*pandi
Aug 1, 2006, 11:56 AM

Strange spellings of common names are just nightmares for elementary teachers everywhere and a bad idea. It looks illiterate. It's bad enough that there are legitimate historical variations on Elizabeth-Elisabeth, Johnathan-Jonathan, Sara-Sarah etc which confuse everyone, but intentionally creating more versions... does not make your kid unique. You want unique, name them Methuselah Kiwi.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2006, 12:09 PM

The daughter of a friend of mine has a classmate with the name "Va-jee-na," spelled....you guessed it..."Vagina."
Wow.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 12:23 PM

whats worse a 'normal' name spelled stupidly, or a stupid name spelled correctly.

Like:

Najima (Nazh - ma)

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 12:29 PM

Amfernee=Anthony. Wacky.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyvthc
The daughter of a friend of mine has a classmate with the name "Va-jee-na," spelled....you guessed it..."Vagina."
Wow.
My friend's sister was named that, except they pronounced it "Vajinia." Even if it has some historical reference, that's just wrong.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
My friend's sister was named that, except they pronounced it "Vajinia." Even if it has some historical reference, that's just wrong.
I don't how a sane parent could name their child that...or how a kid could come out of childhood and still be normal.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I don't how a sane parent could name their child that...or how a kid could come out of childhood and still be normal.
Note my added emphasis. It's not about the kid, it's ALL about the parents. They are NOT parents, they're so-called adults with living accessories. At least if they had little dogs to abuse this way WE, the taxpayers of the U.S. wouldn't be paying for their mistakes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 01:10 PM

One would think that a parent who gives his/her kid a stupid name would simply be condemning their child to a fruitless life of ridicule and bitterness (like the "Boy Named Sue") but I'm sure Condaleeza Rice (sp?) would beg to differ.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
names suck. let's move to numbers. I claim 069.
Are you being videotaped? I don't understand the '0'.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 07:45 PM

You can screw with your kid using common names as well. I know a Michael Michaels.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 07:51 PM

Or Boutrous Boutrous (however you spell it)

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 2, 2006, 03:34 AM

Cultural variants? I can see "Shawn" instead of the true spelling which is the Irish original "Sean".
Or rather, Seán.

But Alexis is spelled Alexis, not Alexiss, Alexos, Alexus, Alexess, or Alexxas. If you told me that Midwesterners have always spelled it "Allexis", that I guess I could believe.
Alexis is actually a variant form, not the ‘real’ form. The ‘real’ form is Alexius or, indeed, Alexus (the former Greek, the latter existing as a parallel form in Latin, arisen from syncope). Means ‘helper’, by the way.

What I really can’t stand is the phenomenon of taking a completely normal name and ‘culturalising’ (most often ‘Africanising’, it seems) it up by adding a few extra letters and apostrophes in random places (often coupled with quite ridiculous CamelCase spellings as well). Like D’Shawn, Kw’Lee’, TaJenna.

Also, the most idiotic name, competing with Vagina, I’ve ever heard has to be Yoniga (pronounced “yo, nigga”). Whoever had the idiocy to name their kid that should be shot. It was a white girl that had this name, just to make things worse.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Yoniga (pronounced “yo, nigga”).

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules