Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth Mighty Mouse sucks. What other Bluetooth mice work natively with Macs?

Bluetooth Mighty Mouse sucks. What other Bluetooth mice work natively with Macs?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 03:30 AM

I hate the scroll wheel on the Mighty Mouse. It's very prone to dust problems. Apple fixed one, then replaced one, and now a couple of weeks later I have the same problem.

So I say frack it. No more Mighty Mice for me... that is, if I can get a 3rd party Bluetooth mouse that supports Macs at bootup. Which ones do?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 29, 2008, 04:17 AM

I believe it's the case that if the computer has built in bluetooth, a bluetooth mouse will work all the time. I have a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse (they have a fairly new notebook-sized one and a newly released full-size version) and I like it a lot. three buttons and a scroll wheel.

Oh, and it's hooked up on a G4 533 with a bluetooth dongle on the keyboard. Works great!
ice

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks but that's sort of my question. Will any Bluetooth mouse replace a Mighty Mouse for all functionality on Macs, without automatic pairing issues?

Or are some brands/models problematic?

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 03:58 PM

I don't know about compatibility, but one of the coolest looking and best feeling cordless (Bluetooth) mice is the Logitech v470.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2008, 06:19 PM

my new fave us the kensington slimblade trackball mouse; replaced my apple bt mouse.

feels great, works great...and for me, the ability to switch the scroll ball to a trackball (great for giving my hand a rest) is near-perfect.

paired easily with my mac (10.5.2).
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2008, 06:20 PM

My M$ Intellimouse for Bluetooth connects much longer to the computer then my Wireless Mighty Mouse. However, it's much more comfortable than Apple's and the M$ mouse prefpane is quite slick, too.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Potatohead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2008, 07:46 PM

i've been using logitech's S530 (bt keyboard & mouse for Mac) for about a year, so far so good

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2008, 06:08 AM

Logitech S530 is not a bluetooth set. It's Logitech's proprietary RF technology, not industry-standard Bluetooth.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
Logitech S530 is not a bluetooth set. It's Logitech's proprietary RF technology, not industry-standard Bluetooth.
But the Logitech v470 is Bluetooth and it's beautiful

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 12:51 AM

I just wish Logitech would make a Bluetooth mouse that had as many buttons as my old MX310. Once you get used to having a different button for each of the Exposé functions and Dashboard, it's pretty hard to give that up.

(yeah, I know Microsoft makes a 5-button Bluetooth mouse, but I've always preferred Logitech mice.)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

solofx7
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 04:19 PM

I am loving my wireless mighty mouse...

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 05:07 PM

I read on engadget that the Logitech MX Revolution is coming in a Bluetooth version.. Might be worth the wait ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

fhoubi
Senior User
Mar 3, 2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I am loving my wireless mighty mouse...
My feeling too...

I have 2 mighties (in fact USB but the nipple is here the point). The first one I bought stopped scrolling in no time, and after a couple of modest clean-tries it stopped scrolling. The second one which came with my Intel iMac feb. 2006 still works great today: I just vigirously pay(ed) attention that I rub all the dust on the mouse around the ball away constantly.

Eug, give it a thought. And yes, respect to this it is a bad design.

(After 1.5 years I yesterday repaired the first one by disassembling the ball assy'. It is not that difficult btw, at least for the USB one. Works like brand new now).
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2008, 10:49 AM

The last Mighty Mouse I got was from 2008. Brand new, and it started to stick within weeks.

Yeah, cleaning helps, but I don't want to waste my time dealing with it anymore, especially when my el cheapo noname mice have scroll wheels that work fine for years with no required cleaning.

I can use mice with no scroll functionality at all, but it can come in handy. I've come to prefer the scroll wheels which are actual wheels for vertical scrolling, as I rarely use horizontal scrolling at all. I'll check out some of those Kensington and Logitech Bluetooth mice.

TravisReynolds
Mar 9, 2008, 03:16 PM

three words.

Logitech MX Revolution
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

kjbee
Mar 17, 2008, 05:37 PM

(this might be a bit of a thread-jack, but this was the most applcable thread i found, so...) Many in this thread have mentioned the Logitech v470 - I just got mine in the mail (after rebate, etc with a purchase from buy.com and google checkout, it will only cost me $5 - sweet).

BUT - every time i either turn the power off on the mouse to save battery OR close my macbook lid and it goes to sleep, it won't reconnect when i open it up. I am in discoverable mode, and it does FIND my mouse, but says "device does not have necessary services" when i try to fix it via a 'browse.' I have to actually set it up again each time. seems to retain my settings and setup is fast, but it should NOT do this. I did a quick search elsewhere and this seems to have been an old problem - was it ever solved? How do i fix this?

 MacBook 2,1 - 13.3" - Snow Leopard (rawr)
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/SuperDrive/4GB RAM (Crucial)/
500GB Hard Drive (Seagate Momentus)/
500GB External HD (MyBook)

ringos
Mar 19, 2008, 01:16 AM

Any of you who don't like their BT Mighty Mouse interested in selling?

I happen to like them, except for the price!

let me know. Thanks.

Ringo

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by kjbee View Post
(this might be a bit of a thread-jack, but this was the most applcable thread i found, so...) Many in this thread have mentioned the Logitech v470 - I just got mine in the mail (after rebate, etc with a purchase from buy.com and google checkout, it will only cost me $5 - sweet).

BUT - every time i either turn the power off on the mouse to save battery OR close my macbook lid and it goes to sleep, it won't reconnect when i open it up. I am in discoverable mode, and it does FIND my mouse, but says "device does not have necessary services" when i try to fix it via a 'browse.' I have to actually set it up again each time. seems to retain my settings and setup is fast, but it should NOT do this. I did a quick search elsewhere and this seems to have been an old problem - was it ever solved? How do i fix this?
Try adding the mouse to the favorites in the bluetooth control panel. Can't recall right where it is - I'm at work and don't have my laptop handy at the moment...

kjbee
Mar 22, 2008, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. What does seem to be working for me now is making sure i turn OFF the mouse when i put my computer to sleep. Then when I wake up the comp and turn the mouse back on, it finds it OK. Still seems weird though...

i did realize 'device does not have necessary services' was because the 'browse' is for file sharing, which obv the mouse doesn't do.

 MacBook 2,1 - 13.3" - Snow Leopard (rawr)
2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/SuperDrive/4GB RAM (Crucial)/
500GB Hard Drive (Seagate Momentus)/
500GB External HD (MyBook)

Happy Hobbit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 04:20 PM

Had a Macally BTMouseJR for some time now (about three yrs) and it's just fine. Almost didn't get it at first because I thought it was too big and clunky. But it works very well and maintains the link to wake the display. I run AA rechargeable batteries that give me about 5-7 days, and always have a spare set ready to go. The only hassle is I have to click a few times to reconnect with the Bluetooth link after hard drive sleep. I also use a wrist support that with the larger size is very comfortable.

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2008, 02:04 PM

Logitech V470 Cordless Laser Mouse
I have this mouse & it's works great
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

mindwaves
Mar 23, 2008, 08:01 PM

So I guess there is no BT mouse with more than 3 buttons? I'm looking to replace my aging Logitech MX 500 mouse and I would prefer BT, but everything I see with BT has 3 buttons or less.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
So I guess there is no BT mouse with more than 3 buttons? I'm looking to replace my aging Logitech MX 500 mouse and I would prefer BT, but everything I see with BT has 3 buttons or less.
I think the RadTech BT600 has gotten decent reviews. I thought about buying one, but something about it irked me aesthetically, so when I broke my Apple wireless mouse, I wound up getting the Logitech S530 set. Of course, the fact that it's not BT is annoying in its own right.

But yeah, the Bluetooth mouse market is weirdly thin for Mac users.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2008, 03:05 PM

<>Try adding the mouse to the favorites in the bluetooth control panel.

I cannot find which area / entry you mean? Can you advise? Thanks very much!

deemoss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2008, 01:25 PM

Love the Logitech v470. See also my other post: http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-...scrolling-mod/

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2008, 03:07 PM

Since I mouse with both the left and right hands, I like symmetrical mice and big ones at that. I'm waiting for MSFT to release Mac Drivers for the big Microsoft Wireless Bluetooth Laser Mouse 8000

hokie17
May 11, 2008, 03:50 PM

There is a BT version of the Logitech MX1000. It comes only with keyboard sets though. You can get it with the MX5000 set for $149 or the DiNovo set for $199. I got the MX5000 set but don't use the keyboard. The mouse works great with Steermouse; Logitech's OS X drivers don't recognize it though.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2008, 03:57 PM

If it's Bluetooth, I'd expect it to work without drivers.

Of course, being Microsoft, a quick Google search indicates that it actually is a minor PITA. There's instructions here, though.

Myself, I wish I could just get a Bluetooth version of my old Logitech MX310. Now there's a great mouse...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2008, 08:45 PM

Interestingly, I just ordered another bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 12, 2008, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I hate the scroll wheel on the Mighty Mouse. It's very prone to dust problems. Apple fixed one, then replaced one, and now a couple of weeks later I have the same problem.

So I say frack it. No more Mighty Mice for me... that is, if I can get a 3rd party Bluetooth mouse that supports Macs at bootup. Which ones do?
Just put some windex or rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and rub the might mouse's trackball on the paper hard and it will be good as new. That is what Apple tech support told me to do.

I have to do it every few months but no big deal.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jun 27, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Since I mouse with both the left and right hands, I like symmetrical mice and big ones at that. I'm waiting for MSFT to release Mac Drivers for the big Microsoft Wireless Bluetooth Laser Mouse 8000
I just got this mouse. Works fine with the built in bluetooth. Yes, it was a PITA to setup, but after I got it working it's been great.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hobbit View Post
Had a Macally BTMouseJR for some time now (about three yrs) and it's just fine.
I had one of those. It was nice, but it often went to sleep on me. My Apple BT Pro Mouse never did that, so I swore never to buy an auto-sleeping mouse again. Of course, I'm now a trackpad junkie, so I'll never buy a mouse again.

joe
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
...Myself, I wish I could just get a Bluetooth version of my old Logitech MX310. Now there's a great mouse...
Ditto! I'm using my MX310 right now and have 1 spare new in the box should this one die. I love the 6 button symmetrical design and would very happily pay for the same thing in a BlueTooth version.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2008, 11:58 AM

i'm fond of the original apple blutooth mouse.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 28, 2008, 05:48 PM

I love my mighty mouse. It's probably one of the better mice I've owned, wouldn't use it for gaming though. I do not have anything against Logitech though. I've owned a few and I loved those as well.

jretzner
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2008, 07:55 PM

Take a look at ioGear's Bluetooth Laser Mouse. It has a scroll wheel, left and right buttons, recharges rather than batteries.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 28, 2008, 11:11 PM

logitech mx revolution !!
or the G7
R.I.P Steve Jobs

jretzner
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2008, 01:45 AM

iogear GME228BW6.Check it out at IOGEAR - Solutions.

I have an earlier version that has been faithful for me for nearly four years.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
I love my mighty mouse.
Me too. I like it so much I even put an Animal Crossing stick on it, so my Mighty Mouse is kind of 'unique'.

Captain Curt
Jul 3, 2008, 03:53 AM

The mx revolution is a great mouse. I just wish it came in different sizes. I would prefer one about 25% larger.
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

Forum Links
Forum Rules