Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My new job

My new job
anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 05:27 PM

Hey I don't know if anyone cares about this, but i thought it was pretty cool.
I work for customer service at a camping/outdoor sports store. Last week my manager asked me if I knew anything about Photoshop. I was like, "Yeah," and she said "um, OK" and then walked away. I didn't think anything of it. Well a couple of days ago the guy who does the photos for our website came and asked me the same question. Again, I said yes. He quickly came back with "OK, but have you ever used a mac?" I said " As a matter of fact I have." So now I have a sweet part time job manipulating photos for our website. I get to use a mac all day. Now my goal is to get out of customer service altogether.
I dunno, I thought it was cool. If you don't care I apologize.

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2004, 05:29 PM

Set up a photoshop action to do the work for you and go have a smoke.

"If it's broke, you choke."

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 05:31 PM

I actually already did set up actions for almost everything I have to do. Unfortunately I still have to match colors the old fashioned way.
My manager doesn't know anything about PS, so I get to sit in the photo studio for as long as I want. I could do 1 project a day and she wouldn't know the difference. I just keep telling her "This stuff is really hard," then she goes away.

ambush
Banned
Apr 7, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
I actually already did set up actions for almost everything I have to do. Unfortunately I still have to match colors the old fashioned way.
My manager doesn't know anything about PS, so I get to sit in the photo studio for as long as I want. I could do 1 project a day and she wouldn't know the difference. I just keep telling her "This stuff is really hard," then she goes away.
slacka.

Myrkridia
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 06:51 PM

Start descibing your work in great detail and watch her eyes glaze over.

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 07:07 PM

I went through step by step on how we create pretty shadows behind all our stuff, and she was like "Wow, what an amazing program. I can't believe you guys know how to use that thing..."
Anybody got any good lines that might help me get some more money for doing this stuff? I was thinking to use the whole "This is more skilled work than what everyone else here is doing," but that's a little cliche. I need something more convincing.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 07:17 PM

Hey I don't know if anyone cares about this, but i thought it was pretty cool.
I work for customer service at a camping/outdoor sports store. Last week my manager asked me if I knew anything about Photoshop. I was like, "Yeah," and she said "um, OK" and then walked away. I didn't think anything of it. Well a couple of days ago the guy who does the photos for our website came and asked me the same question. Again, I said yes. He quickly came back with "OK, but have you ever used a mac?" I said " As a matter of fact I have." So now I have a sweet part time job manipulating photos for our website. I get to use a mac all day. Now my goal is to get out of customer service altogether.
I dunno, I thought it was cool. If you don't care I apologize.
camping/outdoor sports store is it?
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 07:20 PM

it's Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS.com). Didn't specify cause I thought it might be considered spamming.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 07:37 PM

I'm his Manager; I've just read this; & oh, he's FIRED.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 07:37 PM

it's Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS.com). Didn't specify cause I thought it might be considered spamming.
i just wanted to check out your work and the store, i think most would agree.
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2004, 07:44 PM

cool, let me know what you think. My stuff is basically all the new products we get. The old stuff someone else did. I think some of it will be up tommorrow.
Still looking for lines to try and get more $$$ outta my boss...

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2004, 08:18 PM

snort. good way to make money...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2004, 09:19 PM

Congratulations on you your job, anthonyvthc, it sounds awesome. I think that its great that you wanted to share.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules