Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > VGA+DVI, 2 computers, 1 monitor

VGA+DVI, 2 computers, 1 monitor
anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2005, 12:28 PM

If I have a monitor with both DVI and VGA inputs, is it possible to have both connected at the same time if only one is running at a time? There doesn't seem to be any kind of selector swicth on the monitor, nor does the documentation say anything about this type of setup.

For reference, it is a Princeton LCD19D

Thanks for your help.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 8, 2005, 01:23 PM

Whether you can actively switch between two active inputs depends entirely on the display, but in general, if only one computer will ever be turned on at once, it should be perfectly fine to have both inputs connected even if the display doesn't have a selector.

tooki

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Whether you can actively switch between two active inputs depends entirely on the display, but in general, if only one computer will ever be turned on at once, it should be perfectly fine to have both inputs connected even if the display doesn't have a selector.

tooki
Nice, thanks for the answer.

osxisfun
Mar 8, 2005, 08:44 PM

anthonyvthc,

I recently bought the dell 2005fpw 20" lcd and do just that. thanks for another forum member (name i can't remember now drat!) i plugged in my pc via teh VGA (and it looks OK!) and the mac to the dvi and all i have to do is press the button on the front of the lcd and it switches.

magic.

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
anthonyvthc,

I recently bought the dell 2005fpw 20" lcd and do just that. thanks for another forum member (name i can't remember now drat!) i plugged in my pc via teh VGA (and it looks OK!) and the mac to the dvi and all i have to do is press the button on the front of the lcd and it switches.
Are you able to have both your PC and Mac running at the same time and just switch the monitor between both display options to view? Or can only one computer be running at one time?

osxisfun
Mar 13, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by lvee:
Are you able to have both your PC and Mac running at the same time and just switch the monitor between both display options to view? Or can only one computer be running at one time?
i've got them turned on at the same time. there is a button on the front of the dell "select" that let's you cycle thru the 4 dell lcd inputs

1: My Mac - DVI
2: My PC - VGA (surprising good image quality for VGA)
3: unused
4: unused

there is a PIP which should be able to show both? but i have not tried and don't know if that if manily meant for a video input (dvd or tv) on input 3

I recently installed this:

http://www.derman.com/KMremoteContro...-Overview.html

And control each with one keyboard and mouse (although i have a keyboard and mouse plugged into the pc so it can boot)

For cross platform dev like i do this setup is a dream....

so far i am very glad i spent the money. having 3 screens when you are do mac stuff or 2 and 1 pc when doing cross platform makes you so much more productive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules