Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Merom MBPs in September

Merom MBPs in September (Page 3)
mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Brazuca
I'm not only looking for Merom (because it might help if Leopard has 64bits and development in the future goes that way), but I really want an updated case that supports more memory, has more ports, more battery capacity, faster optical drive, better GPU, etc.

I'm going to spend $2500. I want it to get as much as I can.
More memory is available today. If you're willing to drop to 533Mhz memory instead of 667Mhz, you can have 4GB. I can't see that improving until Santa Rosa is released early next year.
More ports is possible, but it would require an internal reshuffling.
More battery capacity is possible, but unlikely. It would make the whole laptop bigger and heavier.
Faster optical drives aren't avalable in the super-slim (9.5mm) size Apple needs thanks to their decision to go with the wider trackpad.
A better GPU, or at least clocking the current one up to it's nominal frequency, is possible, and I'd even say likely.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2006, 06:46 PM

I'm waiting because I would really like that 10-20% speed bump at the same processor speed and I'm hoping that the high end of the Core 2 Macbook Pros will ship with a 2.33 GHz processor as opposed to the current 2.16GHz max.

I wouldn't say no to a faster GPU, either.

Case redesign or a faster optical drive aren't really that important to me.

I'd like to get as much power as possible in my next purchase to stave off the next upgrade for as long as possible.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
More memory is available today. If you're willing to drop to 533Mhz memory instead of 667Mhz, you can have 4GB. I can't see that improving until Santa Rosa is released early next year.
More ports is possible, but it would require an internal reshuffling.
More battery capacity is possible, but unlikely. It would make the whole laptop bigger and heavier.
Faster optical drives aren't avalable in the super-slim (9.5mm) size Apple needs thanks to their decision to go with the wider trackpad.
A better GPU, or at least clocking the current one up to it's nominal frequency, is possible, and I'd even say likely.

All signs point to no on the memory front. People who have tried report problems and usually can only get 2Gb recognized. I'm certainly not going to drop $2500 on a hope if I can wait to see what else is out there. It boils down to getting more information. I'm in no hurry right now, and all signs point to a revision in the next weeks. If the new MBPs are underwhelming, then I can pick up a RevA for cheap and get an external 23" monitor or something.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 08:26 PM

I don't know why most folks insist on thinking in today's terms only regarding RAM needs, graphics needs, chipset architecture, etc. E.g. Does 64-bit matter to apps today? No. Will 64-bit matter to certain important apps 2008-2009, perhaps even 2007? Yes.

We are talking about new box purchases with life cycles of 2007-2008-2009 and sometimes beyond. So please folks try to think in that time frame instead of just August 2006.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
I don't know why most folks insist on thinking in today's terms only regarding RAM needs, graphics needs, chipset architecture, etc. E.g. Does 64-bit matter to apps today? No. Will 64-bit matter to certain important apps 2008-2009, perhaps even 2007? Yes.
What apps are these that are going to suddenly need a change to 64-bit data types?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 11:59 PM

What apps are these that are going to suddenly need a change to 64-bit data types?
I don't know, but I am not talking about "sudden" I am talking about the life cycle of a new computer purchase. Since the 128k Macs apps and the OS have been evolving to take advantage of the latest architecture (Allen's Law ). Always. Since we buy for 2-5 years of future usage it has always been cost effective to pay a few extra bucks for the latest architecture when buying a new box.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Aug 28, 2006 at 12:05 AM. )

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 12:07 AM

I don't know, but I am not talking about "sudden" I am talking about the life cycle of a new computer purchase. Since the 128k Macs apps and the OS have been evolving to take advantage of the latest architecture (Allen's Law ). Always. Since we buy for 2-5 years of future usage it has always been cost effective to pay a few extra bucks for the latest architecture when buying a new box.

-Allen Wicks
using that logic, the macbook is by far the best buy right now.. because you could buy another one in 2 years and have updated hardware.. for the cost of buying one macbookpro now.

5 years from now you'd have a 3 year old macbook or a 5 year old macbook pro.

(and you'd actually probably be able to afford 3 macbooks in that time with the money you saved.)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 12:52 PM

Well, loads of Merom PC Laptops came out today... lots and lots of them... so I think we may be close!
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 04:17 PM

Doesn't everyone love how just about every computer manufacturer and their grandmother is coming out with Core 2 Duo laptops today while Apple drags its ass to increase its margins on their older Core Duo gear?
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 04:39 PM

I have a feeling that we will see an upgrade tomorrow... But it's just a feeling, but it would be right on time for my birthday (30th of August ), since I am getting one for my birthday
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ndptal85
Doesn't everyone love how just about every computer manufacturer and their grandmother is coming out with Core 2 Duo laptops today while Apple drags its ass to increase its margins on their older Core Duo gear?
]Nte that they have announced them today - they arent shipping till the middle of September. So Apple could release theirs in 2 weeks and still be first out the gates with a shipping product.

They might release one tomorrow for all you know - Saying they are dragging their asses because they havent released an update with in a few hours of other companies is ridiculous. We will see when they all start shipping...

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 04:44 PM

Thats great news, hopefully soon Apple will update there MBP line as well. What do you folks think My MBP 17" is on the FedEx truck ready to be delivered, if Apple does decide to release the merom MBP's will Apple allow me to upgrade an unopened box? sorry if Im hijacking the thread.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2006, 04:46 PM

I like to think that they're holding off so they can get the new machines right, rather than just early. Let Lenovo get the early news-and the early problems too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by silver
...What do you folks think My MBP 17" is on the FedEx truck ready to be delivered, if Apple does decide to release the merom MBP's will Apple allow me to upgrade an unopened box?
Apple has a 14 day no-questions-asked return policy. Easiest is just not to open the box.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 04:57 PM

Apple has a 14 day no-questions-asked return policy. Easiest is just not to open the box.
do you think this is why they're delaying macbooks? To keep people from returning them when they come out with new ones?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by freakboy2
using that logic, the macbook is by far the best buy right now.. because you could buy another one in 2 years and have updated hardware.. for the cost of buying one macbookpro now.
Sometimes that works. But even a short life cycle like 2 years is 2006 SEP thru 2008 SEP, and the boxes are not equal. Personally I prefer perpetually working on a pro (GPU, PC card slot, FW 800, screen real estate, pixel totals, client image) box every three years rather than a perpetually amateur box every two years.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 05:09 PM

SD,

i do as well, but on this cycle the mb and mbp are so close in specs.. if you don't need a video card, you're paying a big premium for a pro machine which is only marginally faster.

my guess is that a week from now this picture will be seriously changed with the MBP running meroms and the MB running core duo.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2006, 05:28 PM

Intel has yet to drop the prices on Core Duo... I think Apple is just holding back to confirm there aren't any problems. Plus the shipping dates aren't for a couple weeks so Apple could just announce the day they ship.

I'm going to smack the first, and every subsequent for that matter, person who posts a thread about "OMG!! dozens of flaws in the Core 2 Duo chips!! intelSUX back to IBM!!" because they don't understand what an errata list is for.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 05:36 PM

it is a little annoying that we all know the machines are coming but we can't order them.

at least with the powerpc, nobody really knew what the availability was. with the merom, we know dell will have a machine on sept 19th. where's my merom mac?

I really want to get a macbook right now, but crap!!! I can wait a few weeks to see if it gets updated.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 05:39 PM

Thanks SD for answering my question. I know originally I didn't really care if it was merom or yonah but considering even a 20% boost would help me considering I do a lot of 3D(Come on Autodesk where's Maya UB) and not to mention texturing in Photoshop(same goes to you Adobe why must we wait till CS3 for UB versions).

I know I need my laptop to run some programs for ICS, so I'll probably just use it. But now with the switch to Intel and it's many updates(far more than IBM) it's just making things a bit more interesting to say the least.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Aug 28, 2006, 07:16 PM

Round up of Core 2 Duos announced today .......

http://www.ipodhub.net/294/2006/8/28...arts-shipping/

Read the last paragraph

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2006, 08:28 PM

Quote from linked article:
New Macs are already about to hit the assembly lines and updates to MacBooks, MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac minis are imminent.
If they haven't already hit manufacturing, we'll have a bit of a wait until Apple builds up enough inventory to satisfy initial demand.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by justinkim
Quote from linked article:

If they haven't already hit manufacturing, we'll have a bit of a wait until Apple builds up enough inventory to satisfy initial demand.
supposedly the chips are drop in replacements.. so maybe it'll just swap over.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Aug 28, 2006, 11:30 PM

supposedly the chips are drop in replacements.. so maybe it'll just swap over.
Apple could be upgrading more than just CPU.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 02:50 AM

my guess is that a week from now this picture will be seriously changed with the MBP running meroms and the MB running core duo.
If the only change to the MBP is Merom, the difference between the MB and MBP will have not changed at all. At the same clock, Merom offers neither significant performance increase nor battery life reduction. This will only change when the Santa Rosa chipset with its 800MHz FSB arrives. That'll be next year btw.

If the gap between the MB and MBP should widen (which actually Apple doesn't want at all - as they've stated before, they see all Mac portables as one family), the MBP is going to need more than just Merom. New case, faster GPU, eSATA, higher resolution, etc. All things that are not very likely to happen.
•

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Aug 29, 2006, 04:28 AM

All those companies who released updates this week put Meroms in their low ends too. Apple has to put Meroms in MBs an MBPs. Only the clockspeeds will be different and the graphics and usual stuff.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
If the only change to the MBP is Merom, the difference between the MB and MBP will have not changed at all. At the same clock, Merom offers neither significant performance increase nor battery life reduction. This will only change when the Santa Rosa chipset with its 800MHz FSB arrives. That'll be next year btw.
Some laptops are showing +25% (30 min) on battery life (link); despite the same TDP at full blast, Merom may be doing better with low-clock power management.

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 29, 2006, 10:40 PM

This should change Apple's release patterns. Previously, Apple used the PowerPC chip and could release updates on their own schedule.

Now that Apple has switched to Intel processors, whenever Intel releases a new chip like Merom and all the other companies are releasing Merom computers, Apple will probably have no choice but to release Meroms in their lineup, ranging from the Mac Minis, iMacs, to the MBs and MBPs. Apple will have to release Merom just to keep up with everyone else and not look like they're too slow in releasing up-to-the-date techno-gadgets.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Aug 30, 2006 at 06:39 AM. )
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2006, 02:44 AM

Some laptops are showing +25% (30 min) on battery life (link); despite the same TDP at full blast, Merom may be doing better with low-clock power management.
Quite a contradiction to recent AnandTech tests.

Although PCPer saw a large difference between the 'engineering sample' and the production Merom. I'm wondering what AnandTech tested. The nice thing is PCPer tested the T7600 (2.33 GHz) against the T2600 (2.16 GHz). So battery time per clock improvement might be even better. Maybe we're lucky and production Merom will indeed give significantly better battery time.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 30, 2006 at 02:51 AM. )
•

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by shecky
i have the same machine, so i am ready also.
me too ... but i can't afford the mbp so will opt for a merom mb.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
This should change Apple's release patterns. Previously, Apple used the PowerPC chip and could release updates on their own schedule.

Now that Apple has switched to Intel processors, whenever Intel releases a new chip like Merom and all the other companies are releasing Merom computers, Apple will probably have no choice but to release Meroms in their lineup, ranging from the Mac Minis, iMacs, to the MBs and MBPs. Apple will have to release Merom just to keep up with everyone else and not look like they're too slow in releasing up-to-the-date techno-gadgets.
agreed. when you are the only game in town (ppc/apple) you could pretty much do what you wanted and when you want ... when you are now competing for direct benchmarks and product comparisons with dell, ibm, sony, you HAVE to release new/revised models when the only chipmaker (intel) makes their new chips available in quantity.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2006, 06:43 AM

If the gap between the MB and MBP should widen (which actually Apple doesn't want at all - as they've stated before, they see all Mac portables as one family), the MBP is going to need more than just Merom. New case, faster GPU, eSATA, higher resolution, etc. All things that are not very likely to happen.
so merom is the test bed for santa rosa? is that what you're saying?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2006, 08:27 AM

No.

Santa Rosa is the upcoming chipset. It will have (among other stuff) a faster FSB which will allow Merom to perform better. Currently, there are some tests where Merom is bottlenecked by the current 667 MHz FSB and therefore hardly performing any better than Yonah.
•

fuzzball963
Banned
Sep 2, 2006, 10:22 AM

Well I just ordered a MBP because I couldn't wait any longer and it has an estimated ship date of the 5th of Sept so hopefully something magic happens and I get a merom drop in chip .

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 10:45 AM

Hmm well the 5th makes sense, as it 24hr shipping, and it wil probably beprocessed on monday, so 24hr = tuesday (the 5th).

As much as I want a MBP, im waiting, ive made it 3 months already. I dont want a computer thats been out 8 months, id rather wait.

nikki-k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 05:01 PM

Well, to those thinking Apple might be able to announce their Merom based line and still be out the door before the others who have already announced theirs...BZZT! Wrong.

Alienware has laptop/notebooks with Core 2 Duo's claiming a 7 day ship date...and that was yesterday, so that would mean if I ordered one yesterday, it would ship next Fri. Dell on the other hand, has their Core 2 Duo notebook/laptops showing a 5 day ship time, meaning I could possibly have one BY next Fri.

BTW- I am with many others, sitting here waiting, hoping the Merom will be in a MacBoo Pro very soon. My main curiosity lies in the thermal side actually. And I guess I am like others also, who just want a 64-bit chip cause...well, that's why! Just 'cause!

(ugh...heck of a first post...and another BTW- yes, I am yet another "convert" who made it over the wall from the MS side and did so with a Mac Pro over two weeks ago...very, very happy! )

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 2, 2006, 06:14 PM

IIRC Apple tried to use their Apple halo to get Core Duos before the other companies could. Intel didn't budge. Apple doesn't have that strong an influence to get Meroms before the other fellas can.

Besides, Dell would probably get 'em faster 'cuz they can sell more Meroms than Apple can.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

fuzzball963
Banned
Sep 3, 2006, 10:16 AM

Well mine's still on order but my ship date for the MBP got pushed back from the fifth to the 7th . Expected delivery on the 14th. Here's hoping they're upgrading it somehow .

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2006, 11:08 AM

i'm hoping so too! please let us know once it arrives. i'm excited for you.

skitzogreg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by fuzzball963
Well mine's still on order but my ship date for the MBP got pushed back from the fifth to the 7th . Expected delivery on the 14th. Here's hoping they're upgrading it somehow .
In one day mine went from the ship date of the 1st to the 5th, then later that afternoon to shipping the 14th. Interesting.

salaryman
Sep 5, 2006, 04:37 AM

Anyone else noticed how MBP updates are mysteriously absent from all the rumours currently flying around?

AppleInsider | Apple to roll-out iTunes movies and 'one more thing'

I'd be gutted if they updated the iMacs with Core 2 Duo but not the MBP!

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2006, 08:55 AM

Yes, I've noticed, too.

I'm currently in "not getting my hopes up" mode.

There's still a possibility that a (relatively) minor processor only upgrade is in the works and that it simply hasn't been getting the same attention as the more substantial rumored iMac and Nano upgrades.

Still in that mode, though

shecky
Sep 5, 2006, 09:21 AM

store is closed as of right now. (9:20AM EST)

lets see what happens....

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 10:08 AM

It's back, with no changes in MBPs. Also, nothing seems to be new on apple.com.

RevJonn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 02:55 PM

Hi There, Newbee from the Uk Here....
Just waiting on a 15" with 2gig thru an insurance claim
(To the F$*k who's got my 12"PB i hope ya rot in Hell...)
My Shipping date has been delayed from Tommorow to the 14th....

Here's hopin for the Merom, eh?

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2006, 04:36 PM

Don't wet your pants just yet. Merom ain't exactly what we've beeen expecting.

"Notebooks get only a small performance boost with Intel’s new processor, formerly code-named Merom, and battery life appears to remain about the same."

I won't even ask about the heat!!!

Macworld: First Look: PC World tests: Mobile Core 2 Duo okay, not great

This one is a real yawner. Certainly not worth the wait.

Not surprisingly this was formally announced today...

"Chip-maker Intel Corp. said Tuesday a total of 10,500 jobs will be eliminated over the next year through layoffs, attrition and the sale of underperforming business groups as part of a massive restructuring.

The Santa Clara-based company said most of the job cuts this year will come from the management, marketing and information technology ranks.

The world's largest chip maker is fighting to reverse sinking profits and regain market share stolen by smaller rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

The cuts come amid intense pressure for Intel to unload money-losing divisions and halt the encroachment of AMD on its lucrative core business making the microprocessors that act as the brains of computers.

Intel has been steadily losing profits and market share. Analysts have criticized Intel for being too bloated and having lost its focus on making the chips that power servers, desktop computers and laptops."

Makes one wonder about Apple's Intel selection doesn't it? Hope Steve hasn't lost AMD's phone number.
( Last edited by Kenstee; Sep 5, 2006 at 04:54 PM. )

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2006, 05:39 PM

Except, of course, that the current MBP's top out at 2.16GHz and the top end of the Core 2's are at 2.33GHz

Of course, the top end of the Core's are also at 2.33, but they're not available in MBP's now.

If you're looking to wring as much speed and life span out of your next purchase, it may not be a bad idea at all to wait for a bit, if only to see what sort of deal one can get on a current model when the new ones come out.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 08:34 PM

If the only change to the MBP is Merom, the difference between the MB and MBP will have not changed at all. At the same clock, Merom offers neither significant performance increase nor battery life reduction...
IMO for graphics users 2007+ the difference between MB and MBP is huge right now: ExpressCard/34 slot, real graphics card, bigger screens, more pixels, Firewire 800 (in the 17" so far)...

Merom MBPs may see some or all of: bigger and/or faster hard drives, more accessible RAM, FW800 in 15" MBPs, etc.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Sep 5, 2006 at 08:45 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
Intel has been steadily losing profits and market share...
Makes one wonder about Apple's Intel selection doesn't it? Hope Steve hasn't lost AMD's phone number.
Actually most analysts consider Intel's current roadmap very solid, a step in the right direction. Tech sites generally opine that Intel has one upped AMD for a while with this current chip architecture.

As to Apple's decision, IMO it was very solid. And if Intel falters down the road (like I said above Intel is certainly ahead for now) of course AMD could be a future option.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2006, 09:17 PM

The performance depends on the apps and tasks that you test. H.264 performance is up 30% at the same clockrate in Anandtech's tests:

Other benchmarks are less than 5% faster. Battery life is flat, just like Intel said it would be.

Forum Links
Forum Rules