Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MBP w/ Bootcam - Wireless works in XP but not OSX

MBP w/ Bootcam - Wireless works in XP but not OSX
dillbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 05:53 PM

This one is driving me friggin nuts. I have set up a Linksys WRT54G v.6 at home and cannot connect to the network with my MBP in OSX, but when I boot to XP via bootcamp Windows finds the network and connects with no problem. OSX finds the network and I am able to log in with the WPA Personal password but I get no IP address. I have tried:

- Upgrading the firmware
- Checking for software updates
- Power cycling like there's no tomorrow
- Resetting the router's factory defaults
- Changing wireless channels from 6 to 1 and 11
- Manually entering IP addresses and DNS server addresses into OSX network settings
- Slamming my office door on my head repeatedly

Anyone have any ideas?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 22, 2006, 07:21 PM

Do you get an IP if you (temporarily of course) turn off WPA? If you're not getting a good IP, you're not really logging in, so that WPA passphrase is suspect.

Unlike with WEP, the passphrase algorithm is PART OF the WPA standard, so you enter it EXACTLY the same no matter what platform you're using.

I hope the office door is ok...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dillbag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 07:28 PM

Still connection but no IP address after disabling security. Just got off the phone with Apple, trashing entire SystemConfiguration folder and resetting network prefs did nothing, then I got hung up on. Still able to connect & get an IP with XP, still can't get an IP in OSX even after restarting and renewing DHCP lease.

IsaacW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 07:58 PM

Other people, including myself, have had the same problem. Check out this thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/92/networkin...p/#post3178208

dillbag  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 01:30 AM

Mods, you can lock this thread if you want, I've moved my discussion to the thread posted by IssacW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules