Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Multiple Users and mounting a volume

Multiple Users and mounting a volume
jrozgonyi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2000, 06:26 PM

I've got OS 9 running with Multiple Users in a lab, and now I want to set up a new Limited user, and have a shared volume from a server mount on that user's desktop only. When I try to Choose it and check the "mount at start-up" option, I can't get it to successfully mount automatically. And if I do it under the Owner's account, it mounts automatically for everyone. Has anyone dealt with this before? Is it possible to have a shared space on a server that only one user (or in this case, generic group of users) can write to?

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2000, 10:16 PM

Hi:

Are you able to mount the server volume at all in the Limited user account (i.e., without the "mount at startup" option)? If so, then try this approach:- In the Limited user account, when you have the volume mounted manually, create an alias to it. Store that alias in the user's private Startup Items folder. With any luck, the Limited user will be able to save the required password (if any) in the Keychain so it won't be necessary to re-enter it each time.

If that doesn't work, try re-posting or searching in the AirPort and Networking sister-forum here on MacNN.

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 03-24-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules