Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why I returned my iPhone

Why I returned my iPhone
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2007, 01:31 AM

My top reasons for bagging it in no particular order:

- Speakerphone echo
- AT&T GSM echo
- Phone makes my computer speakers buzz at home and work
- Must delete one email message at a time
- Battery life is poor if you use WiFi and Bluetooth
- WiFi connections that are otherwise stable drop frequently
- Too many taps to place a simple phone call
- Unlocking phone becomes a hassle after cool factor wears off
- Bluetooth connection to headset unreliable

I have all sorts of other minor complaints that are highly subjective, and not worth mentioning here. This all being said, it was still difficult to part with this super cool phone. I just use my phone too much to make so many compromises, not to mention all the money I was spending to adopt iPhone - from the phone itself, breaking a T-Mobile contract, and paying about $20 more per month to AT&T for a contract with 600 fewer minutes than I was getting at TMO.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2007, 01:35 AM

With regard to the echo, that seems to be an issue that Apple was replacing iPhones for, so you might have had a lemon. It's possible that this caused some of your other problems, as well.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2007, 01:42 AM

Which echo? The speakerphone echo is something I think all iPhones suffer from, that is the person you call hears an echo - you do not. The intermittent "GSM" echo is related to the network and not the iPhone specifically.

Perhaps I did have a lemon, I don't know. I'll try the iPhone again, once they have voice dialing, and some other features/fixes implemented.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2007, 01:43 AM

Timothy D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for returning your iPhone. I hope your next phone far surpasses it in reliability and functionality.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 15, 2007, 12:51 PM

The speaker buzz will come from just about any GSM phone; it's not an iPhone issue.

I had the speaker buzz come from nearly any audio amp (home stereo, portable radio, external speakers on computer, etc.) when I had a GSM phone; BlackBerry, Motorola RAZR, or an old Samsung. They ALL caused the speaker buzz.

Battery life; no surprise there, since you have more radio circuitry turned on; that will happen with any battery-powered device where the radios are a substantial fraction of battery load. I bet you have the same problem with a Windows Mobile-based phone with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on.

Bluetooth, Wi Fi connections-no problems here. Bluetooth dropped I think once or twice when the phone was brand new, but after that it connects quite nicely (using Motorola HS820 surfboard-shaped headset)

I'd have tried a replacement unit for these problems. As far as the other complaints go, (like the tape to make a call) I guess that's a function of the interface; with no physical buttons for making calls and other functions, there aren't any buttons to jump right to making a call.

I agree that deleting mail once at a time is a little tiresome. One can hope that a future software update will add some sort of right-click capability (two-finger tap like on MacBook/MBP touchpads) for things like cut, copy, paste, delete, delete all, etc.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2007, 01:02 PM

I have to agree with you that it takes too many clicks to get to what the main app is for this device - making a call.

With most all cell phones today, the manufacturers have forgotten the primary use of a cell phone: making calls. Apple is certainly guilty of forgetting the real killer app of a phone, but they are just following the crowd on that one.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Timothy D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 01:13 PM

I really dont think the main app is the phone. I believe that the main app is the iPod. It just happens to make a phone call. The reason being is the commercials always show the phone feature last. However, it is one of the main apps. It takes 2 button presses to make a call: Press the phone icon then dial your number 2 steps when in the home screen. Press the phone icon then select your contact, 2 button presses plus scrolling. Press the phone icon and any number in your favorites 2 button presses. You have to have these screens selected under the phone app. This is a very smart and elegant interface but my girlfriends samsung would probably be more traditional and welcoming to non-smart phone users. I had a blackberry and a sidekick 3, I find the interface on the iphone as the best so far.

72 hours with the iPhone

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2007, 01:23 PM

That's where I would disagree. If you going to put the word "Phone" in the name, and as with any cell PHONE, the device's primary function is a phone. If not, then don't bother selling it as a phone. Cell phones, including the iPhone, have forgotten their primary purpose, making calls.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Timothy D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 01:30 PM

Well phone is in the name because iPod phone sounds stupid. They sell it as a Phone because it functions as a phone which is why AT & T is in the mix, or does apple own cell phone towers? The primary function is as pictured in the commercials. "You've never seen an iPod that can do this." The phone feature is always shown last in the commercials. The iPhone is more like an iPod that surfs the web and makes phone calls while displaying weather, stocks, YouTube, directions and notes.

72 hours with the iPhone

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 15, 2007, 04:09 PM

Slightly off-topic, but this might help minimize the touches to make a call...

(1) Turn off the auto screen lock. You can still lock it manually with the top button.

(2) Since hitting the "phone" icon brings up the last phone mode (recents, favorites, etc.) exit the phone app using the home key when showing the screen you want to use the most.

If you exit to the home screen from the "Favorites" screen, then it takes two touches; one for the phone, one for the favorite contact. I haven't looked yet, but can you assign speed dial numbers to contacts?

Timothy D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 04:30 PM

No speed dial as far as I know. Just favorites. Pressing 1 will take you to your voicemail.

Cold Warrior
Jul 15, 2007, 04:48 PM

I get buzz with CDMA phones as well -- putting them near a walkie-talkie for example.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2007, 05:28 PM

Yeah, my RAZR is quite a bit worse than the iPhone when it comes to making other devices buzz. I posted a while back about how my RAZR could even control my 5G iPod's scroll wheel. I wonder if the iPhone would do that as well.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2007, 11:28 PM

It's clearly a phone first, I don't think that's even up for debate. Although let's assume you're right, so what? It's still way too difficult to place a simple call, even for an iPod that "just happens" to be a phone.

Originally Posted by Timothy D View Post
Well phone is in the name because iPod phone sounds stupid. They sell it as a Phone because it functions as a phone which is why AT & T is in the mix, or does apple own cell phone towers? The primary function is as pictured in the commercials. "You've never seen an iPod that can do this." The phone feature is always shown last in the commercials. The iPhone is more like an iPod that surfs the web and makes phone calls while displaying weather, stocks, YouTube, directions and notes.

72 hours with the iPhone

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2007, 11:30 PM

Thanks for returning your iPhone. I hope your next phone far surpasses it in reliability and functionality.
You should have to be at least 13-years old to post in these forums, as evidenced by the post quoted above.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2007, 11:33 PM

I don't have the iPhone anymore, so I cannot verify the auto lock option. However, to the best of my recollection you cannot completely disable the screen lock. Regardless, for me it's still too much of a hassle, when I can program any of the buttons on the front of my current phone to dial somebody with a single key press. Two clicks my be passable, but you still have to remember to leave the phone app on Favorites each and every time you are on the phone. Voice activated dialing (that doesn't suck) would be a big step towards me purchasing an iPhone again ... but that's just me.

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Slightly off-topic, but this might help minimize the touches to make a call...

(1) Turn off the auto screen lock. You can still lock it manually with the top button.

(2) Since hitting the "phone" icon brings up the last phone mode (recents, favorites, etc.) exit the phone app using the home key when showing the screen you want to use the most.

If you exit to the home screen from the "Favorites" screen, then it takes two touches; one for the phone, one for the favorite contact. I haven't looked yet, but can you assign speed dial numbers to contacts?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2007, 12:39 AM

I think that we're going to see a lot of changes in the iPhone UI in the coming months. One change that seems likely is the ability to go straight from the home screen to a screen of your choosing. This might be done through a preference setting (e.g. instead of going back to where you were, always go back to the phone app's favorites screen) or it might be something similar to a suggestion I made earlier. Namely, instead of having "slide to unlock" you should have "slide to place call" or something similar that allows you to jump to your most used feature.

I will say, though, that I can get from locked state to the phone favorites screen in about 3 seconds, which isn't all that long, although it does require multiple taps. The trick is to wake the phone up with your thumb on the home button, use your thumb to swipe the unlock slide, and if you're not already in the phone app, press the home button again and then tap the phone icon.

That said, if it doesn't suit your needs now, there's no point in suffering with it. Wait and see what they do with the software. It's just version 1.0, after all.

drfun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 01:51 AM

Well first to I have to say I have noticed the buzz in the speakers around me.
This is not the normal transceiver buzz from the phone checking into the cell network or before a call comes in.
I found it is something with the charging mechanism that sends off such interference when the phone is charging.

Also about the echo, oddly enough I was trouble shooting this with a friend that also has an iphone.
It seems it only happens to me when I call him, and yes its worse then the normal echo I am used to.
Note: I have had many phone over the last 10 years, all GSM and do not have a house phone.
Any way I have talked with many people since I owned the phone, call them on their cell phones and never noticed the echo before.
I think its a problem with my friends phone, not mine. I think his phone is causing the feedback into the line so I hear myself talking. No this was not a bad connect, it happened 3 times today when I called him, and only with him.

Just some random thoughts.

Also I forgot to mention I did get a phone with a bad battery and half the life of my 4 friends phones.
I did notice the buzz a lot more with that unit, I dont notice as much since I had it replaced.
( Last edited by drfun; Jul 16, 2007 at 01:53 AM. Reason: more information)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 08:54 AM

I really dont think the main app is the phone. I believe that the main app is the iPod. It just happens to make a phone call.
That's basically the point.

It's a little annoying for some people that phone functionality is almost given secondary billing on the iPhone.

I can't really comment myself though, since I haven't used it yet.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2007, 09:09 AM

The only way that the phone app gets second billing is that Apple hasn't prioritized it over the other apps (not being able to jump directly to the phone functions when unlocking the phone). In terms of the phone app's functionality, I'm not sure there's much more that they could have added. It's all nicely integrated and implemented.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2007, 10:03 AM

the iphone's speaker buzz is a lot stronger than most phones. I have owned many asian imported GSM sony ericsson phones, and they are nothing compared to iphone. I only hear the buzz when i am about to receive calls from my SE phones, but iphone is doing that all the time just by placing near the speaker. The other day when i tried to plug the iphone to the dock, where it was near my home theater, and iphone went buzzing like crazy even when i turned it to airplane mode. And i agree that it takes so many click to dial number because i am used to speed-dialing

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 10:41 AM

Being an early adopter has its downsides.

vln2
Jul 16, 2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by chrisutley View Post
My top reasons for bagging it in no particular order:
- Speakerphone echo
- AT&T GSM echo
- Phone makes my computer speakers buzz at home and work
- Must delete one email message at a time
- Battery life is poor if you use WiFi and Bluetooth
- WiFi connections that are otherwise stable drop frequently
- Too many taps to place a simple phone call
- Unlocking phone becomes a hassle after cool factor wears off
- Bluetooth connection to headset unreliable
I understand, it all depends on the frustration level.
My own experiences in no particular order:
- WiFi started working great and always on once I put $ sign in front of the password (annoying - yes but we know what Apple is after)
- So far my battery is good, better then in HP IPAQ. I do not use WiFi all the time and I turne it off if I do not need it. I have always done that with my old phone.
- Bluetooth: I use Jawbone with Jabra EarGels and it sounds great. Yet when iPhone goes to deep sleep it may break the connection and I just have to turn the Jawbone off and on (2 clicks). Once connected calls are usually picked up by Bluetooth automatically but sometimes they do require unlocking screen and clicking multiple buttons to answer a call on Bluetooth (an issue using a belt holster).
I know that Apple is playing with color schemes but on the Home screen you do not know if the Bluetooth is connected or not - the sign is white while on every other screen it is either white or blue (connected). We need blue sign on Home screen to avoid confusion.
- "It is best to disconnect screen lock:" I did it and it still requires unlocking the screen - probably a glitch waiting for a fix on my iPhone. Apple will have to address that.
- I am on shared 1400 minutes plan now. It is not 1000 minutes each we had at T-Mobile but we should save some with rollover.

Overall I am still satisfied but those issues need to be addressed. We are hearing about major upgrades by November when Leopard comes out. I hope it will not take that long.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2007, 02:40 PM

I do not use WiFi all the time and I turne it off if I do not need it. I have always done that with my old phone.
According to the somewhat surprising results obtained by Anandtech in their comparison of battery life on wifi, 3G and EDGE, the iPhone actually gets better battery life when using Wifi than in EDGE.

"It is best to disconnect screen lock:" I did it and it still requires unlocking the screen - probably a glitch waiting for a fix on my iPhone. Apple will have to address that.
It's no glitch (assuming I understand what you mean). What the "screen lock" feature does is to automatically lock the screen after a specific amount of time. If you put the phone to sleep yourself, of course it will need to be unlocked. That's how you would want it. In fact, I don't understand why turning off automatic screen lock would help at all in the OP's situation.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2007, 05:40 PM

I had my iPhone about 2ft. from my SONY HDTV, and it was causing some flickering on the screen. I think the FCC has rules about this kind of thing.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Being an early adopter has its downsides.
I get that. I bought a PowerPC Mac the day they came out, and I bought a Mac Pro the day they came out. I have a Blu-ray and HD-DVD player ... you get the idea. I'm not here to bitch, just sharing my experience. Unfortunately, I had too many issues with iPhone 1.0, a few of which I suspect won't be addressed until the second generation model appears.

vln2
Jul 16, 2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
According to the somewhat surprising results obtained by Anandtech in their comparison of battery life on wifi, 3G and EDGE, the iPhone actually gets better battery life when using Wifi than in EDGE.
Interesting, I know that my old HP IPAQ used lots of battery power. I've noticed that adding Bluetooth to WiFi increased power consumption noticeably. Perhaps then Bluetooth uses more power then WiFi?
It's no glitch (assuming I understand what you mean). What the "screen lock" feature does is to automatically lock the screen after a specific amount of time. If you put the phone to sleep yourself, of course it will need to be unlocked. That's how you would want it. In fact, I don't understand why turning off automatic screen lock would help at all in the OP's situation.
You are right, I hoped I could turn the iPhone off manually and turn it on again manually and not have to unlock screen again. I guess that will not work but should - it is like my own phone is not trusting me (I turned it off, then on and it still needs the screen unlocked). Pressing the top button should overwrite the auto screen lock.
I really would like Bluetooth icon in blue when conected on Home screen - its purpose is to give us quick access to applications and consize info on most important settings. It makes no difference what color WiFi icon is, it does for Bluetooth.

One more thing, I've noticed that when the battery goes below 20% and iPhone at times becomes little unstable I can't take auto lock off when somebody calls me. I move it to the right and nothing happens. I have to turn the phone off and on, miss the call and call that parson back. Another argument for taking auto lock off.
( Last edited by vln2; Jul 16, 2007 at 10:57 PM. )

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by vln2 View Post
I guess that will not work but should - it is like my own phone is not trusting me (I turned it off, then on and it still needs the screen unlocked). Pressing the top button should overwrite the auto screen lock.
I agree with your suggested behavior for the top button. Seems kind of obvious ... I wonder why they are forcing the lock screen on us.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2007, 06:33 PM

If the iPhone is rather an ipod with phone functionality, why does it require a contract with AT&T .. ah well .. I still have my good old Nokia which can be used quite well as a phone .. Oh, it can also play MP3
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 16, 2007, 06:42 PM

It's really not that surprising. Consider that doing data transfers over EDGE is slower, requiring more TX/RX time over a longer distance from you to the nearest tower, requiring more TX power. Wi-Fi transfers are faster, over a much shorter distance.

One could argue that the higher data rate of Wi-Fi takes more power than the lower data rate of EDGE, which is true over the same distance; however, I think the lower power needed to cover a much shorter distance will have more effect.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2007, 07:16 PM

I had my iPhone about 2ft. from my SONY HDTV, and it was causing some flickering on the screen. I think the FCC has rules about this kind of thing.
Yep. Your TV is not supposed to cause any interference with your LICENSED TRANSMITTER. The phone should probably not cause the TV to flicker with well shielded cables. But if you had to be that close, it's probably just how your cables were laid out, not your TV itself.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
It's really not that surprising. Consider that doing data transfers over EDGE is slower, requiring more TX/RX time over a longer distance from you to the nearest tower, requiring more TX power. Wi-Fi transfers are faster, over a much shorter distance.
It's not 100% clear from what they wrote, but they said that they had several web sites on a local server and they had a script that they used to download one page after the other in a loop until the batteries died. It sounds like the test was designed to make the phones access the network constantly (as it should have been to make this kind of comparison) so the idea that because wifi is faster it had to communicate for a shorter period of time doesn't seem to apply.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2007, 09:59 PM

With regard to speaker interference, I think that Nextel phones in general are the worst offenders (by far). I have a bookshelf stereo in my office, and whenever a coworker wanders past while talking on their Nextel, I get the signature Nextel "tic-tic-tic-tictictictictictic" sounds. This is from a range of about 5 feet away.

In Morse Code, it would look something like : ---..........

The only time I have ever heard anything from my iphone was in my car, when I set the phone literally right under the car stereo. The sound from this is much quieter, and it sounds a lot different than the Nextel's...
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2007, 12:04 PM

I used to carry a PDA and a phone for the same reason the original poster returned the iPhone - convergent devices are often too much of a compromise (I am still underwhelmed by TREOs and Blackberries, for example). The iPhone offers me true integration in a single device, as well as true syncing with my laptop.

But, in contrast to the poster, I have not found the extra pushes for a phone to be annoying at all. After all, I went from a flip phone - which took me time to pull out, flip open, then make my call. On the iPhone, you pull out, activate, then choose your app - phone, browser, mail, etc. If the mail app is open (usually to my favorites list), I doubt there is really any time difference.

I had my iPhone save me over an hour yesterday alone because I was able to get info on COMPUSA stores - and save a trip to Bloomington, MN, when all the COMPUSA stores have been closed in Minnesota. All using the EDGE network.

That over an hour makes up for a lot of 1-2 second time lost having to go to favorites instead of a speed dial setup.

There is no question the iPhone interface is different, and some will not find the change 'better' for them. I am taking the long view that having true internet with me everywhere is valuable.

Oh, and I've used this as an ipod once or twice... For me, this is definitely a phone first.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 01:18 PM

Yep. There's definitely something wrong with your TV.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 01:29 PM

This is why the iPhone should have been 3G instead of GSM-only. WCDMA doesn't generate nearly as much buzzing as GSM does.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
This is why the iPhone should have been 3G instead of GSM-only. WCDMA doesn't generate nearly as much buzzing as GSM does.
Buzzing is why it should've been 3G? I would have thought the faster data rate would've been the reason. Silly me.

Really, buzzing, while annoying, is it really that huge of a deal?

fruitengine_hannah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 04:39 PM

man that sucks! i am planning to buy and embrace poverty by spending all of my savings.. now i am having second thoughts.... thanks for the heads up!
Search Engine Marketing Company -"Helping Your Business Bear Fruits"

Build a Web Site

thefourthtenor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 05:11 PM

I returned mine as well... back to my blackberry :-(

The phone was lacking most of the tiny features... all of which... I use often.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 18, 2007, 05:23 PM

So... what features were those?

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by vln2 View Post
I understand, it all depends on the frustration level.
My own experiences in no particular order:
- WiFi started working great and always on once I put $ sign in front of the password (annoying - yes but we know what Apple is after)
What's the $ sign for? I don't know about this.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by thefourthtenor View Post
I returned mine as well... back to my blackberry :-(

The phone was lacking most of the tiny features... all of which... I use often.
Such as?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
What's the $ sign for? I don't know about this.
For WEP (AND ONLY WEP) entering a '$' tells AirPort equipment to process an entry as hexadecimal rather than (the default) plain text.

But if you're using WEP, you're asking for someone with a few minutes and a nasty streak to break your "security". WEP is not secure. WPA IS secure and should be used instead of WEP in any and all cases.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Yep. There's definitely something wrong with your TV.
Yeah, I'm sure the signals my iPhone produced causing my computer speakers to emit a buzzing sound, had nothing to do with the distortion my TV experienced when the iPhone was sitting next to it. Of course as soon as the iPhone was moved far from the TV, the problem suddenly vanished ... HAS to be the TV, has to.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 12:53 AM

Good call on returning your iphone. If it doesn't satisfy you then you should return it, as you did. I am happy to hear that you were ultimately satisfied with your shopping decision?

May I ask if you have ever posted in a forms about other shopping mistakes? Do you often regret your purchases? What about this electronic purchase was unique and urged you to share its negative experience with others? Is your post meant as a warning to others about the iphone? What lesson can I take from that I can I apply to my purchases purchases? I don't mean to sound derisive or fractious, I honestly want to know what I, as a form reader, was meant to get from the OP and this thread as a whole.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2007, 12:59 AM

Yeah, I'm sure the signals my iPhone produced causing my computer speakers to emit a buzzing sound, had nothing to do with the distortion my TV experienced when the iPhone was sitting next to it. Of course as soon as the iPhone was moved far from the TV, the problem suddenly vanished ... HAS to be the TV, has to.
I took his comment to mean that your TV wasn't properly shielded. As I mentioned above, the iPhone is certainly not the only phone to cause interference, and in fact my RAZR has been worse.

Originally Posted by tinkered View Post
May I ask if you have ever posted in a forms about other shopping mistakes? Do you often regret your purchases? What about this electronic purchase was unique and urged you to share its negative experience with others? Is your post meant as a warning to others about the iphone? What lesson can I take from that I can I apply to my purchases purchases? I don't mean to sound derisive or fractious, I honestly want to know what I, as a form reader, was meant to get from the OP and this thread as a whole.
I think it's perfectly natural for him to post something like this. Or can people only post positive things about the iPhone? In particular, he may have been responding to another thread that asked how many people would buy the iPhone again, in which most people were very positive in their evaluations of the iPhone.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 02:08 AM

The audio interference is standard GSM interference.

If you're seeing video interference, SOMETHING IS BROKEN, and it probaby ain't the phone.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by tinkered View Post
Good call on returning your iphone. If it doesn't satisfy you then you should return it, as you did. I am happy to hear that you were ultimately satisfied with your shopping decision?

I think a detailed thread of constructive criticism on the iPhone is worth twenty "OMG love my iPhone!!!1!!!1" threads.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I think a detailed thread of constructive criticism on the iPhone is worth twenty "OMG love my iPhone!!!1!!!1" threads.
Hey be nice, iphones have feelings too!

IMO the criticisms in this thread are mostly non issues considering the iphone is version 1.0.
I just bought a new samsung and it makes speakers buzz when it is active, this happens with most phones.
As for the other issues, the majority of them are software related, which can and will be fixed in time.
---

"Too many taps to place a phone call"

Do you honestly think that Steve Jobs didn't do extensive research into how many taps people will tolerate to make a call? They had years to perfect the design of the iphone. Do you think that so little thought went into the essential function of what being a phone is all about? Gimmeabreak. Steve Jobs is smarter than you, rest assured you are in the significant minority when it comes to optimum taps needed to place a call. The iphone is not just another gadget, it is an experience and Apple has always strove to provide a superior user experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules