Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone Nano (Speculation)

The iPhone Nano (Speculation)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2007, 01:37 PM

The iPhone seems great so far, and im sure you guys have heard the rumors of the "iPhone nano", so i thought about it, and here's what i'd like it to be.....

-A little bit bigger than the current iPod nanos to accomodate for a phone (microphone and speaker distance)
-Widescreen, touch screen iPod, with a smaller screen and lower overall resolution
-the same multi-touch interface
-iPod + phone (thats all, no internet device)

but you say that form factor will be too small for a keyboard ala iPhone. well take away the 'breakthrough internet communicator' and the need for a full keyboard disappears, replaced with a standard non-smart-phone 0-9 keyboard...using touch.

-No camera needed

-2GB and 4GB

What do you guys think ?

Cold Warrior
Jul 21, 2007, 02:16 PM

That JP Morgan or whatever analyst in Asia -- the one who wrote the first report -- will be seriously vindicated if the rumors are true. His U.S. bosses seriously shot him down in a follow-on report to his.

vln2
Jul 21, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
A little bit bigger than the current iPod nanos to accomodate for a phone (microphone and speaker distance)
-Widescreen, touch screen iPod, with a smaller screen and lower overall resolution
-the same multi-touch interface
-iPod + phone (thats all, no internet device)
but you say that form factor will be too small for a keyboard ala iPhone. well take away the 'breakthrough internet communicator' and the need for a full keyboard disappears, replaced with a standard non-smart-phone 0-9 keyboard...using touch.
-No camera needed
-2GB and 4GB
What do you guys think ?
I have seen a picture of said device which was supposedly posted by some Asian maker involved in production of iPhone about 10 days ago. It was on the net for 2-3 hours before Apple threatened them and it was pulled. Plans for the device you can find all over Internet since Apple applied for patent. Its price is supposed to be $300 and was to appear at the end of the year.
It looked like a black video iPod with a shuttle wheel which would be used to dial phone numbers with rotary-like interface (numbers appearing on the screen). I do not know if it would have touch sensitive screen. Basically this was iPod capable of dialing out phone numbers and have basic phone functions.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 02:56 PM

you should have saved the pictures. tsk tsk.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2007, 03:43 PM

^ there's a simple reason why he didn't...

vln2
Jul 21, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
you should have saved the pictures. tsk tsk.
This was first reported on MacNN News and I just put the info into Google and the article came up with the picture. It was around midnight. I saved the link but next morning entire article was replaced by a different version without picture and details. I did not expect it to be gone. I wrote about it on this forum same day and spliced a link or two so you can find exactly when that happened.

Here is a new picture of what looks like 3 versions of iPhone.
My Personal Blog: Speculation About IPhone Nano/Shuffle
iPhiend - The latest iphone news, tips, tricks, hacks, and articles - iPhone nano picture - iPhone nano image - iPhone Nano picture - iPhone Shuffle picture? Here is what the iphone nano might look like when it comes out.
This is not what I have seen before.

One which was listed on the Asian site couple weeks ago looked more like the diagram from those links except lot nicer and the shuttle wheel was not as wide as here:
Rumor: Apple patent points to "iPhone nano?" - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
MacNN | Analyst: Patent could mean iPhone nano
( Last edited by vln2; Jul 21, 2007 at 05:33 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2007, 05:42 PM

I think introducing a device like this anytime in the near future would be a mistake. They've already got an iconic brand with the iPhone, and they don't need to go fracturing that with another model that has very little that makes the iPhone desirable. They should concentrate on reducing the price of the current iPhone.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 09:41 PM

Since it was 6 months before the launch for the iPhone because of the FCC, I estimate that any other phone announcements will be about the same. So unless Apple announces something soon, it will be more than 6 months before it comes out.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but we could hear about such a device in January to be released next June.

I still want my 120GB full touch-screen iPod sans phone capabilities.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 10:08 PM

Take the current iPod nano, twice the flash, add phone functions and call it a day.
No movies, no internet, no widescreen, same scroll wheel.
Oh, and $199.

Bunit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2007, 10:32 PM

The only issue I see is texting.. How can you text on that? It might not seem like a big deal to some, but to the younger crowed it's everything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules