Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What's wrong with my dvd drive new MB

What's wrong with my dvd drive new MB
Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2009, 07:51 PM

So I finally got myself a new MB, along with The Sims2 and World of Goo, both brand new games.

For whatever reason my MB REFUSES to read World of Goo. It's not the disc though. It reads fine in my old white MB and in my wifes MBP. So, can anyone think of a reason why this would happen. It's a Mac/PC dvd but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Thoughts?

ibook_steve
May 4, 2009, 07:53 PM

Is it only this disk? Do you have problems with any other disks? Have you tried burning a copy of the disk and seeing if that works?

And by not reading the disk, do you mean it simply doesn't appear on the desktop or it gets ejected or what?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2009, 08:08 PM

It gets ejected. And it's ONLY this dvd. Reads The Sims2 just fine. Only odd thing like I said is that the World of Goo dvd works in any other computer I put it in.

ibook_steve
May 4, 2009, 08:20 PM

Do you happen to have virtualization software installed and running, such as Parallels or Fusion? You mention this is a hybrid disk. Perhaps your settings in a virtual machine are interfering with mounting the disk is OS X.

It's a long shot, but a number of times I have forgotten that I set the optical drive to mount disks into the VM so they didn't appear on the OS X desktop. This scared me into thinking there was something wrong with my optical drive until I realized that the disk was mounting into Windows. I don't know why the disk would be ejected in your case, though.

Steve

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2009, 08:28 PM

No virtual software. Only thing I have installed is whatever came with system.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 4, 2009, 08:43 PM

Steve's suggestion of using either of the other laptops to burn a copy of the disk is great.

You could normally use firewire target disk mode to mount the disk on one of the other laptops and install that way, but I take it your new MB is one of the unibody firewire-impaired MBs?

Geofries  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2009, 09:01 PM

Yes, But I mean should I have to do that? Shouldn't my MB just READ the disc?

ibook_steve
May 4, 2009, 09:50 PM

Not if there's something wrong with it that the new machine's drive doesn't like. Making a copy would be the best way to test this. If the copy works and the original doesn't, contact the manufacturer. Or maybe you should contact them no matter what and just get a new disk.

Steve

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2009, 11:38 AM

You are completely within legal boundaries should you wish to download a copy. As long as you use the serial key that came with it!

It's a long shot because other discs work, but I'd run the Apple Hardware Program just in case. But I'd be 99.9% sure that it is that disc. Any scratches / chips / irregularities with the disc? Are you sure it can be read on Macs? (although why this would force an ejection I'm not sure)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 7, 2009, 10:36 AM

Agreed, a disk anomaly is most likely. That one drive may simply be identifying an apparent flaw that other drives miss.

-Alen Wicks

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 12:23 PM

Try another disc of the same type as the disc you have. When I got my MBP, the drive would sporadically fail to read dual-layer DVDs. Single-layer DVDs and CDs were fine. If your Sims disc is DL, then try another DL disc, otherwise, try another SL disc. It could be that all the other discs you've tried have been of a different type.

At any rate, if there's a disc that your drive won't read that every other drive will, chances are that one way or another you're going to come across some more discs that your drive won't read in the future. If the machine is still under warranty, you could probably bring it in with that disc and show them how it doesn't work, and show them how the disc does work on their machines. That should be enough to get you a replacement drive, I would think.
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2009, 01:45 PM

I am having the same disc issue, but with Windows Vista Ultimate. It will read just fine on my older MBP and G5 but not on the brand new MacBook. The drive just spits it out after trying to read it for a while. There's something wrong with these drives...
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2009, 01:59 PM

What's wrong with the drives is that they're slot-loaders. Slot-loading drives never work right. Get the drive replaced, and if you're lucky, you might get a drive that will read your discs - for a while, at least.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules