Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I copy a freakin' audio cd in OS X???

How do I copy a freakin' audio cd in OS X???
99RedSi
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2009, 06:54 PM

That's all I want to do - copy an audio CD to another CD. It's actually a single track on the disc and it's not even music - just a recording a friend made of a speech someone gave that we know.

HOW DO I DO THIS?!! This is so frustrating! I used to be able to do this with iTunes but can't seem to find how to do it with the latest version nor with OS X.
Mac Mini C2D 1.83/1/80/10.5.5
iMac G4 20" Superdrive 1.25/1.25/80/10.4.9
iBook G4 12" 1.33/512/40/10.4.9
iPod Video 30GB / Shure e4c Earbuds

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2009, 06:58 PM

You can use the Disk Utility to make an ISO of the CD and burn that onto a different CD. Would that work?

If it's an audio track and you want to burn it onto another CD as a playable audio track, you should be able to rip it in iTunes. I'm not sure what other audio-ripping utilities there are for OS X. You could also resort to using Audacity (there are OS X builds) and do a realtime stereo mix recording (which essentially records everything that comes out of your speakers/audio output jack as it happens).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 18, 2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
you should be able to rip it in iTunes. I'm not sure what other audio-ripping utilities there are for OS X.
That's probably the easier way of doing it. Use iTunes to copy the audio file to your hard drive and then with iTunes just create an audio CD. If you have Toast then you can just easily create a duplicate copy but I'm assuming the OP doesn't have it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2009, 09:23 PM

Import into iTunes. Burn.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2009, 09:49 PM

1. Rip the CD track into a playlist in iTunes

2. Burn the playlist

3. There is no step three.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2009, 03:19 AM

The iTunes way works. But some people rather just copy the CD directly with one click. Toast does that. Toast costs money. LiquidCD on the other hand doesn't.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The iTunes way works. But some people rather just copy the CD directly with one click. Toast does that. Toast costs money. LiquidCD on the other hand doesn't.
I was going to suggest Burn, but LiquidCD works as well.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Ooo, that's a nice app. Thanks for pointing it out! I've just sent it out to all 1,700 machines I manage
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 21, 2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
You can use the Disk Utility to make an ISO of the CD and burn that onto a different CD. Would that work?
FYI, no, that does not work. You can't make an ISO of an audio CD, because it doesn't have an ISO filesystem on it. (Nor does it have HFS/HFS+ or UDF, the other formats you can image with Disk Utility.) In fact, audio CDs don't have any filesystem at all. Audio CDs are more or less raw audio stored straight on the disc. This is why every disc burning program came up with its own way of storing audio CD images. (For example, Toast simply makes a SoundDesigner II file with bookmarks.)

Gavin
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2009, 11:11 PM

I'm sure by ISO they simply meant a generic Disk Image, like it or not the terms are becoming synonymous with people who don't care about the technical bs.

With that in mind their suggestion works fine. So, shifuimam is right again!
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Forum Links
Forum Rules