Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > April Fools Jokes/Pranks that are NOT Cruel

April Fools Jokes/Pranks that are NOT Cruel
ghporter
Administrator
Apr 1, 2010, 07:30 AM

In my paper yesterday, they had a tiny bit of filler: April Fools pranks to play on kids-which included "tell them they're adopted and that their birth mothers want them back." How cruel! That's nothing but mean, and to me not funny in the least.

So I started thinking, "are there any April Fools pranks or jokes that aren't cruel?" Input? Discussion?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 07:41 AM

Yes, and it's from Texas.

Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM)

Don't bother, the BOC at the end of the "adventure" is already sold out, so I was told.

-t

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 07:43 AM

My *^%#*@!! eight year old nailed me with two pranks this morning. Then I proceeded to return the favor "helping" him find things he needed for school.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2010, 10:06 AM

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2010, 10:13 AM

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 11:00 AM

VeloNews.com - Big changes at ASO

The Tour de France will be trading the Champs-Élysées for Main Street following news that the Walt Disney Company (DIS) has purchased Tour owner ASO.

Disney officials confirmed the news Thursday, saying there will be noticeable changes in the Tour de France as soon as this summer.

“We believe the Tour is a great tool to promote our Disney theme parks and merchandise on an international level,” said president and CEO Rob Eiger. “We are going to make some small changes that will not change the integrity of the event but will allow us to maximize our investment.”

Google Translate for Animals

Making the world's information universally accessible is a key goal for Google. Language is one of our biggest challenges so we have targeted our efforts on removing language barriers between the species. We are excited to introduce Translate for Animals, an Android application which we hope will allow us to better understand our animal friends. We've always been a pet-friendly company at Google, and we hope that Translate for Animals encourages greater interaction and understanding between animal and human.

Translate for Animals is an application for Android phones that recognises and transcribes words and phrases that are common to a species, like cats for example. To develop Translate for Animals, we worked closely with many of the world's top language synthesis teams, and with leaders in the field of animal cognitive linguistics, including senior fellows at the Bodleian Library in Oxford.

Ferrets key to bridging the digital divide between cities and rural areas

The animals have been used by Virgin Media for over a year to help lay cables for its broadband service, the company has disclosed.

The ferrets wear jackets fitted with a microchip which is able to analyse any breaks or damage in the underground network.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2010, 11:03 AM

MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2010, 11:03 AM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 11:47 AM

Huffington Post: Apple Enters Health Insurance Business

Rather than going through a re-insurer, Apple is underwriting the program from its own cash reserves. The company had about $25 billion in reserve as of December. Apple has a market capitalization of nearly $214 billion with its stock selling at an all-time high.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 12:03 PM

Kodak: A Thousand Words - covered by Paulette Brandes
Kodak:
Announcing AROMATOGRAPHY - An unbelievable sensory experience.
Imagine seeing an image of a field of wildflowers and the experiencing all the delicate and complex aromas that accompany the visual experience.

It's no longer just a dream, thanks to recent breakthroughs in Neuro-Optic-Nasal-Sense Imaging*

New imaging sensors and software developed by Kodak have made the dream into a reality. This isn't your father's smell-o-vision. This isn't hokey scratch'n'sniff patches soaked with chemicals. This is digital, this is neural, this will change photography, printing, advertising, everything.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 03:14 PM

This was admittedly cruel, but it was a great gag! http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...n/#post3952014

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
That was so lame. Google suxx.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 1, 2010, 10:28 PM

How-to: Make a Mains Crossover Cable - Hack a Day

We all know Ethernet has the crossover cable, cars have jumper cables, and RS232 has the null modem. Well, it is about time our wall sockets get their own crossover cable. This crossover cable is great for running power to a circuit disconnected from power. Maybe you are out of fuses, the breaker is broken or you just don’t want to go check the fuse box when there is a murderer about. This cable makes a great gift for even the most loathsome of acquaintances.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2010, 10:41 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2010, 11:04 AM

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2010, 01:09 PM

Sophos' April Fool's joke says romantic fiction a deterrent to hackers - Digital Lifestyle - Macworld UK
"Protection thru Distraction"

"Not only will stories of love and lust make it more difficult for hackers to uncover confidential information, "they can also be distracted for over 1.4 hours" by the content, Sophos said, giving security teams time to stop a data breach.

Sophos claimed that its research resulted in a new technology called "Protection through Distraction," which it is incorporating into future versions of its software. Sophos also plans to roll out the technology to select customers as soon as possible, the release noted. Going forward, the company's security researchers have been told to write romantic fiction along with their regular duties of writing antispam software.

"SophosLabs tests have revealed that specific content can distract hackers from highly sensitive corporate information, the most successful at sidetracking hackers is romantic fiction," the company said.

the youtube video is quite fun (can't be saying "hilarious" since I forgot the remind myself to be drinking something while viewing it, so as to test the "expel thru proboscis" theory)

YouTube - Sophos: Protection through Distraction (April Fool's)

Forum Links
Forum Rules