Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple Scsi 1

Apple Scsi 1
Kali
May 14, 2001, 04:45 PM

My question is, is the scsi used on the older apples different from that used on a PC or even a CBM Amiga ? I ask this because I have an old performa 630 with CD Rom, I know that the HD is IDE and the CD Rom is Scsi and I have an old Scsi Yamaha CDR (so old it works with my CBM Amiga 2000). When I put the CDR in the 630 the profiler showed the CDR but the machine would not access it?

So whats the deal ?

Kali

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2001, 06:22 PM

To use the CDR drive, you'll need to find a special driver for it. Unfortunately, Apple's driver only works with Apple drives. However, if there is a driver available for your drive, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

When looking for a driver on the internet, don't necessarily search for the specific drive you have, but for any drive made by that company. Usually, most drives made by the same company work the same, and so they use the same driver. It's possible that your drive is the PC version of a drive that the company also released for Macs, but they're probably basically the same internally.

------------------
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?"
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2001, 08:06 PM

There are a number of CD-Rom drivers out there that are commercially available. I recall a product called CD-ROM Toolkit by the same people that make Hard Disk Toolkit. It was more than just a driver, but it provided some CD-ROM cacheing capabilities, etc. It was kind of neat. Anyway, if you are serious about using 3rd party drives with Macs, get a good universal product. Sometimes paying for software is worth it. Plus, it keeps loyal Mac development companies alive.

Kali
May 15, 2001, 05:16 PM

Cheers,

Will have a look on the 'net and see what is out there!!

Kali

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 19, 2001, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Kali:
My question is, is the scsi used on the older apples different from that used on a PC or even a CBM Amiga ?
Older Apple computers used a 25 pin Centronics port for their SCSI connections. The pins on it's cable are identical to that of a PC's parallel port. I *think* for PC's, their SCSI was gender changed (male connector). I'm not too sure on that last one, though.

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

Forum Links
Forum Rules