Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DSL software

DSL software
madcow
May 15, 2001, 01:19 AM

Any suggestions for good dsl software under OS9?

------------------
Moo
Moo

C-Eye
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 10:54 AM

What kind of software do you need for DSL? Just plug it in, configure TCP/IP and you're good to go...

------------------

euro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 09:37 PM

You need something like MacPoet or EnterNet to connect unless you have a hardware router. Your DSL provider will typically give you the software. Personally, I think a router is MUCH more reliable, safe and easy. Well worth the extra bucks in my opinion.

C-Eye
Forum Regular
May 16, 2001, 11:33 PM

Oh, I've had DSL through BellSouth and Telocity and both came with a hardware router (or 'DSL Modem') - I thought this was standard.

BTW - I don't recommend BellSouth, but I've been pretty happy with Telocity so far. BellSouth was going to charge me $150 to install just because I'm on a Mac, while Telocity shipped me the router and I was online in about 20 minutes. Service was on and off for a while, but it's been super stable for about a week straight.

------------------

yoyo52
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 12:19 AM

Telocity doesn't use the PPPoE protocol, so you don't need a router or software. The hardware theyship you is just the DSL modem, not a router.

Good luck with Telocity. I had it for about a month and quit after that time because they had such lousy service, constatnly off. I've been having a real hassle getting reconnected via another ISP, mostly it seems because Verizon, my "local" carrier, is full of dipsh!ts, it seems.

Anyway, if you do have a PPPoE connection, then you'll need the software that the ISP provides or, as euro says, a router. I'd vote for the router. I think I saw a really cheap deal at dealmac today, in fact.

------------------
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2001, 01:43 AM

As said above, if you have PPPoE DSL (which is most popular since static IP addresses are running low), I'd advise a DSL router. This is NOT a modem. DSL routers enhance the PPPoE experience by allowing you to get on the Internet without promting any software. Open your browser, and you are ready to go. DSL routers also let you add more computers by simply plugging an ethernet cable to the extra ethernet ports on the back. Mine can go up to 256 computers using the same DSL line at the same time. Way more than I need, but I do utilize the multiple aspect none the less. They are super easy to set up with just a browser and your DSL settings from your ISP.

I have heard that Radio Shack has a Linksys (sp?) model for around $99.

Forum Links
Forum Rules