Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hidden Files

Hidden Files
Jamieharris
Mar 25, 2006, 02:25 AM

Ok im new at this, this is my first post ever but i was wondering if anyone knew how to create files that hides everything from finder as well as spotlight???? please let me know thank you

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2006, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by headofjason
Ok im new at this, this is my first post ever but i was wondering if anyone knew how to create files that hides everything from finder as well as spotlight???? please let me know thank you
Email me for more details but in general there are several methods of hiding files/folders from the Finder. Spotlight, of course, has a standard preference for excluding folders/disks. Other more advanced methods that involve editing standard Unix style text files (basically hidden preferences) also exist.

Anyway you can hide files/folders by starting their name with a period (the Finder will not allow this but you can use the Terminal), by including the file in the list of files/folders to be hidden contained in .hidden file normally stored at the root level, or but setting the hidden bit (metadata) for some file or folder (using the developer tools or various third party options). For me I just go to the Terminal and rename it to start with a period. For example is I had a folder named "SecretStuff" in my home folder I would launch the Terminal and type: mv SecretStuff .SecretStuff (mv is both move a file and rename) and presto .SecretStuff is now hidden.

You can also set a hidden Finder preference (several ways to do this) to have it show all files, hidden or otherwise, or use the Terminal to show hidden files.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2006, 05:20 AM

The best way to do this is to put the files inside a password-protected disk image. Just make a disk image with Disk Utility, choose a size for it that's at least as large as your files, set the Encryption to AES-128, and make a password. Now put the files in the disk image, and people will need a password to mount it and see the files contained within.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
The best way to do this is to put the files inside a password-protected disk image. Just make a disk image with Disk Utility, choose a size for it that's at least as large as your files, set the Encryption to AES-128, and make a password. Now put the files in the disk image, and people will need a password to mount it and see the files contained within.
I almost mentioned this method (sort of a mini file vault) but it makes assumptions about your needs. However for what you probably want to do an encrypted image is the right way.
-R

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2006, 07:44 PM

Charles' answer is -- of course -- the ultimate.

As a side tip, items can be "hidden" from Spotlight by
putting them in a folder with the extension .noindex
-HI-

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
Charles' answer is -- of course -- the ultimate.

As a side tip, items can be "hidden" from Spotlight by
putting them in a folder with the extension .noindex
Nice tip. I didn't know that.

Thanks
-R

Forum Links
Forum Rules