Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 won't start

iBook G4 won't start
dynaflux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2008, 11:40 AM

I have a iBook G4, 14", 1,33 MHz that won't start and it's not the usual bad soldering joint on the ISL 6225CA - those will I manage to fix. I have also tried to solder this one.

When I press the start button the fan will not start running, and the screen stays black. The HD is spinning but I can't hear it working. It's possible to toogle the Caps lock.

There's a high frequent sound (not loud) from the CPU area, however I'm not sure it´s from the CPU itself as it is hard to pinpoint exactly.

Have anyone encountered this and have a suggestion what to do?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 12:06 PM

So it spins the hard drive, and the cap locks light turns on? When you say that you tried to solder this one, what happened? When you try to power it on, does it make any sound, chime, beep?

dynaflux  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2008, 12:19 PM

The HD spins. Caps lock don't go on when I start but ist is possible to activate/inactivate (i.e. the LED goes on/off).

Soldering didn't change a thing - no start sound, nothing.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 12:59 PM

Will it boot into Target mode? Single User mode? Probably not if there is no chime, (but that could be something like speaker wires or the volume turned off!) I think you are the proud owner of a blown CPU.

dynaflux  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2008, 01:07 PM

I'm not that good at OS X (just hardware)... how do I boot into target mode or single user mode?
It's worth a try but I strongly suspect a hardware issue. I might even be a proud owner of a blown CPU. Arrghh!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2008, 01:33 PM

First, try Open Firmware, restart, immediately hold down the following four keys:
Command Option O F
Type in:
reset-nvram (press the enter key)
reset-all (press the enter key)
reboot

Single User mode - startup, hold down Command and the letter 's'.
/sbin/fsck -fy
repeat if system is modified,
reboot

Target mode - startup, immediately hold down the letter 't'. Hopefully you will rewarded with a screen with a bouncing Firewire logo. This may allow you to recover files on your hard drive, isn't much good for anything else.
Best!

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2008, 05:50 PM

If you can solder surface mount technology (SMT) parts you are a genius. Of course, if the resulting system won't start you've just messed up your warranty and any hope of assistance.

dynaflux  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 05:26 AM

I have made some success with a heatgun on the BGA-mounted GPU on some G3:s. I have also soldered many Intersils on G4 but I don't know if you have to be a genius. However you need a small solder tip, a magnifier glass and a very steady hand.

Have you any suggestion on which parts that can need resoldering/reflowing on a G4?

There is no warranty and I have nothing to loose.
( Last edited by dynaflux; Aug 13, 2008 at 11:04 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules